Reload this Page >

Which London airport

Search

Which London airport

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 1999, 05:55 PM
Gayle Potter

Which London airport

We are making travel arrangements for our trip to England in September. We have had many different suggestions. Which airport is better for the novice traveler? Gatwick or Heathrow? We plan to spend 2 days in London then rent a car (outside London) and travel by car for 2 weeks.

Old Jul 29th, 1999, 07:57 PM
Karen

We definitely prefer Gatwick over Heathrow. We have flown in there many times and only the first time to Heathrow...it is too big and confusing. We also have rented a car from companies who have picked us up at Gatwick and taken us a few miles away in the countryside to their rental terminal...easier than driving away from the terminal, although that isn't too bad. <BR>t isn <BR>'

Old Jul 29th, 1999, 08:00 PM
Karen

We definitely prefer Gatwick. We flew into Heathrow many years ago and since then have flown into Gatwick. We also have rented from companies with rental offices further into the countryside from the airport...they can pick you up in a van.

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 08:32 AM
Roger

I prefer Heathrow only because of the transportation selection. It's hard to beat the new rail service. 15 minutes from the airport to Paddington station. Or the bus or Tube. <BR>

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 08:48 AM
elvira

Both airports are user friendly and easy to leave (Gatwick Express, Heathrow Express, underground from Heathrow, cabs or minivans, etc). Heathrow has great shopping, so departure from Heathrow (you check in at least 2 hrs before departure, then what) is better. <BR>It will depend upon which airline you choose; make *that* your primary concern rather than the airport. In true British fashion, the airports are as efficient as possible. Oh and be surprised at how clean they are (relative to say, oh, LaGuardia).

Old Aug 1st, 1999, 02:29 PM
Kavita

You can also fly to London Stansted which is far smaller andless ehctic than Heathrow and Gatwick. There is qalso Luton which is not technically London (but just as near as Gatwick is). <BR> <BR>Luton flights are sometimes cheaper as it costs the airlines less for a takeoff/landing slot in Luton than it does at Gatwick. <BR> <BR>From Luton it takes maybe 30 - 45 minutes into London centre. <BR>

Old Aug 1st, 1999, 05:18 PM
Lori

Gayle, <BR>Both Heathrow & Gatwick have advantages and disadvantages, but as "Elvira" said it depends on the airline you choose to fly. Spending only 2 days in London I'd say Heathrow might be handier simply because it is closer, but it's not a horrible trip in from Gatwick either as the Express Train into Victoria Station only takes about 30 min. We've returned cars at both airports and I think it was easier at Gatwick, but then we were coming in from Kent so it was closer too. It really does depend on the airline mostly I'd say. Personally, I prefer Heathrow & as "Elvira" also mentioned there is really nice shopping there so if you have time to kill after checking in your can always use up what is left of your British money, I know I always do! Harrod's even has a shop there. Compared to most of the airports in the U.S. Heathrow and Gatwick are very user friendly so you will have no major problems to content with. I hope you enjoy the trip.

Old Aug 2nd, 1999, 12:55 PM
Gayle Potter

Thanks for all your suggestions. We have chosen Gatwick as we hear the train ride is short and nice. We aren't in a hurry.