Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which location is best of Nick Price Apartments? Was wondering about Balcombe St.

Which location is best of Nick Price Apartments? Was wondering about Balcombe St.

Old Oct 19th, 2000, 05:55 AM
Sheila

I looked up Nick Price Apts. and the 2 bedroom looks like something I am looking for. I was wondering of your experience which locations of his apts. have you stayed and what you liked or disliked about them. I was wondering about the location of the Balcombe St. apts and if this would be a convenient location. This is for June and I will have 2 teenagers along. Thanks for any advice. Also how far in advance have you booked these apts?

Old Oct 19th, 2000, 06:57 AM
elaine

Balcombe St is just south of Regent's Park, near Marylebone Station.
That's a bit too far north and west for my personal preference, but that doesn't mean that the apartment isn't a real find. You won't be walking distance to any major tourist attractions, if that's an issue.
If you don't already have a London map, pick one up at a bookstore as it will help you plan. I like STreetwise London
which has a listing of streets and how to find them.

Old Oct 19th, 2000, 07:09 AM
Harriett

I'm helping a friend look for an apartment in London for December -- I wondered if you could share info on these as to how you found them and the approximate price?

Many thanks!

Old Oct 19th, 2000, 07:28 AM
Lori

Sheila,
We've stayed on Balcombe St. several times and found it VERY convenient, it's all a matter of personal preference I guess. Nick has a 2 bedroom apt. at 31 Balcombe with 2 baths (OK, it's one full one and one with a toilet & sink, but for 4 people it's ideal). We actually were in this apt in April when we were there so I know what it looks like (it was just remodeled in April 2000). The living room/dining area is in the front, then there is the kitchen and toward the back are the 2 bedrooms (one with twin beds and one with a double) and bathrooms. It's on the "ground floor" which is what we would call the 1st floor. The apts above it are studios and the one below it (basement floor) is also a 2 bedroom remodeled I believe. The ones at 33 Balcombe are not remodeled tho.

The location is very close to Marylebone Station (Bakerloo Line) and only a couple of blocks from Baker Street with it's many lines and bus connections. There is also a small grocery store on the way to Baker St (on Melcombe St) called Shepard's Market which is good for small items, snacks, etc. The area is residential and it's just a block from Dorset Sq. which is rather a pricey little area (rent wise) and the Dorset Sq. Hotel (quite expensive, boutique hotel). There is a laundermat on Ivor St. (around the corner - we did not use it, but it's there). Regent's Park is just about 3 blocks away and it's a lovely park.

We've booked with Nick 8-9 months ahead of time - I can tell you he is very easy to work with too -- if you contact him please tell him Lori & John said HI.
Nick also has an associate who will pick you up/drop off at Heathrow or Gatwick for 30 pounds (Heathrow) and I think about 50 for Gatwick. His name is Michael and he is a character believe me. He kept us laughing! (very droll sense of humor).

We had no problems with getting anyplace from this area, it's really convenient and the Bakerloo line sort of cuts across London (N/S) and intersects with many other lines. No matter where you stay you are not going to be close to something, it's a matter of what is important to you. At Baker St. you can hop the bus to Oxford St. (shopping) and it takes 5 minutes. From Marylebone Station you can take a train to Warwick Castle if you wish (about 1 1/2 hrs). There are also several shops in Marylebone Sta. including a small grocery, newsstand, flower stall, etc.

If you want more info please let me know and I will e-mail you personally - for "security" reasons I do not use my complete e-mail on this forum.

Incidentally, there is no daily maid service with the apartments - they are cleaned every 7 days (unless you make more specific arrangements) if you are staying more than a week. You can also make arrangements for additional towels if you need them.

Old Oct 19th, 2000, 07:50 AM
Sheila

Thanks Elaine and Lori. Elaine, which area would you recommend for Price Apts? It would be nice to be within walking distance to some attractions but I am more concerned with safety of area and convenience of transportation. Are there any restaurants in the Balcombe street area? Lori, you can send me information at [email protected]. Also, Elaine I have not received your information yet. Did you have trouble sending? Also to Harriet, I received information about Price Apts from this site and website is priceapts.co.uk. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Old Oct 19th, 2000, 07:58 AM
elaine

Sheila
I don't know where Price has apartments so I don't know what areas you have to choose from.
Lori's comments are well-taken, she did not find the area to be inconvenient, and I have NOT stayed in that area. On my trips to London I have chosen to stay in other areas (Bloomsbury, South Kensington a few times)which I have found to be convenient, safe, and more central, but not having
been situated in the Marylebone area
I can't speak to the convenience of frequently using that tube stop and line. I can only say that it would not be my first choice for location, but
I don't know what other options you have in terms of apt. locations.
I sent my file to you before 9am today, if you don't have it within a couple of hours email me again and I'll try again.
Thanks

Old Oct 19th, 2000, 08:14 AM
Sheila

Sorry Elaine, I was thinking you had used Price apts. in the past. I read so many posts that I forget who says what. I just rechecked my email and nothing yet so I will email you back after lunch. Thanks again.

Old Oct 19th, 2000, 08:21 AM
elaine

Sheila
My original message to you from this morning just came back as undeliverable, I've just tried again to send it

Old Oct 19th, 2000, 08:35 AM
Lori

Sheila,
I just e-mailed you some more details, I hope you get it ...I used the address you posted in your above message.

I think everyone has their own personal feelings about areas they want to stay in, we found the Regent's Park, Baker St., Marylebone Sta. area extremely easy to get around from and also safe. I think no matter where you stay in London you will have to travel to see something, so that's not a big issue with me. It's all a personal thing, we do not think South Kensingtn is all that handy ..... no matter where you stay in London I think you will have a great time tho and planning the trip is half the fun!!!

Old Oct 19th, 2000, 08:53 AM
elaine

Sheila
the email addresses you gave me are not working. Can I use the ecsis one above?

Old Oct 19th, 2000, 08:57 AM
Stewart Garcia

Balcombe ST is very convenient. You can get around London on the tube so walkig distance is more a matter of how far it is to the tube than how far it is to any particular attraction.

WARNING! The dryer at the laundromat round the corner, shrunk all our clothes. Boy, was I in the dog house for the rest of that trip!

Old Oct 19th, 2000, 10:25 AM
Sheila

to Elaine: you can use the email [email protected]. I will email you again and maybe you can use the return mail. to Lori: I got your email and just wrote you back. Thanks