Which location in Italy in April

Jan 25th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Which location in Italy in April

Our trip will start in Stuttgart, where we plan to visit the Mercedes and Porsche museums, the Porsche factory, and take the train one day to Mulhouse to see the Schlumpf collection. We intend to end our trip in Bologna, where we are taking a tour of the Italian car factories/museums.

Inbetween - here are our choices:

train to Trento, stay 2 nites, train to Verona, stay 2 nites, from there to Bologna.

or- train to Trento, stay 2 nites, then go to Bologna for five nites and daytrip from there

or - fly from Stuttgart to Naples, get driver to take us to Sorrento or Amalfi, spend 3 days, and then take the train to Bologna.

We will get to Stuttgart on April 11th and I'm trying to decide, weatherwise, which option makes the most sense.
Jan 25th, 2009, 11:03 PM

Weatherwise, it should not be a great difference.

I had been twice to Amalfi, once in April and once in May, and both times it was surprisingly cool.

Around Laka Garda, climate will be beautiful and springlike. And the scenery of Lake Garda (the northern part) equals the scenery of the Amalfi coast.

Obviously, you are a car aficionado. Then it is mandatory to rent a car - at least for one day - and to drive along Lake Garda (at least the road between Riva and Limone).

I personally would rather stay at Lake Garda and do a daytrip to Verona from there, but you can certainly do it the other way round.

Allow one day for Verona and at least one day for Lake Garda. Better spend some time there than in Bologna.
Jan 26th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I will do some research into Lake Garda.
Jan 26th, 2009, 06:49 AM

Hard choices. I do want to let you know that we thought Bologna was fantastic and a great place to base for day trips. If you like food, it's the center of the food universe. Art - great Morandi museum. City - with its miles of porticos, incredible. Plus very easy train connections for day trips.
Jan 31st, 2009, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

So I was checking out a website for Riva del Garda, and it turns out the 500 Miglia event (not the mille miglia, but a shorter one) takes place from April 17-19, and will pass thru Riva del Garda on April 18. That helped with the decision. So we will either spend our 2 nights in Trento, and then take the bus to Riva for 2 nights, and from there go to Bologna. Or maybe just go directly to Riva, eliminate Trento, and spend an additional two nights in Riva.

I'm thinking just relaxing and visiting towns along Lake Garda inbetween Stuttgart and Bologna might be nice.

Thoughts on this?
Thoughts on whether to eliminate Trento?
Jan 31st, 2009, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

I've started a new post with my last question - on Trento and/or Riva del Garda - in the title.
Jan 31st, 2009, 08:31 AM

Whoa! Weather misinformation alert.

Be wary of subjective weather advice.

The northern end of Lake Garda - the foot of the Alps - has an average high of 1 C and low of -3 C in the first half of April and traveller1959 is offering it up as "beautiful and springlike" and not unlike the Amalfi Coast??

Verona has an average high of 15 C and low of 5 C in the same period so it makes quite a difference how far south you are on the lake.

Amalfi, on the other hand, has an average high of 18 C and low of 12 C for the first half of April.

By late April Verona is close to Amalfi for expected highs (not lows), but northern Lake Garda is still only a few degrees above 0 C.

Jan 31st, 2009, 11:37 AM

Stay south in April.
Jan 31st, 2009, 01:04 PM

Fly with TUIfly from Stuttgart to Venice, spend the night and part of the day, get wheels and drive to the lakes. April in the alps is unpredictable, congestion and weather may make the drive from Stuttgart to Italy less than fun, and the train takes a long time.