Having had my plans to go to Germany for 10 days or so in May blown out of the water by my DH, [who has decided he'd rather go skiing in April with his rambling group] I have decided to use the time to spend a week in Italy trying to improve my italian, which after some initial success [GCSE 2 years ago, AS level last year] has rather hit the buffers.
Taking advantage of some nice low fares, for £50 each way, I fly into Pisa on Sunday 8th May, and out again on Wed 18th, the plan being to spend the last 4 days in/around Florence practising my new language skills.
so now all I have to do it to find a language school!
having taken on board Franco's comments, all those i have enquired about are in or around Florence, where the best italian is spoken. they range from a traditional school in the centre of Florence to a week with a teacher in his home on a one to one basis.
these are the ones which have replied:
This is the traditional language school in the centre of Florence. it offers 4 hours of group tuition in the mornings and 1-2 hours of private lessons/cultural and social activities in the afternoons. I suspect that it is aimed mainly at "younger" people; they have a 2 week course specifically for the over 50s, but i don't have two weeks. i could stay with a family on a half-pension basis to increase the language experiences. this is the "safe" option.
this one is based in Orbettelo on the coast between Pisa and Rome, and i could combine language study in the morning with wine/cuisine in the afternoons. the town looks lovely and the classes are small - a max of 6 - who are likely to be "older" like me. I could also stay with a family. Would i get the same chance to learn Italian though?
this is the most expensive option, but I would be staying in Chianti on a full-board basis with lessons in the morning and activities in the afternoons, all in Italian. [total immersion in fact] there would only be one or two other people involved, so hopefully i would learn a lot. again, the other students would likely be more my age.
As i am unlikely to get this chance again, if it delivered what it promises, it might be worth it.
i wasn't too impressed with this the first time, but on a 2nd reading, it grew on me. it looks more personal than the school in florence, and it's certainly convenient. Again, I could stay with a family, and they offer .
this attracted me at first, but I'm a bit dubious as a solo female traveller staying alone with an unknown bloke. I am absolutely not suggesting that he's anything other than he says, but apart from anything else, if we didn't get on, it could be a miserable week. I suspect that he would better suit a small group or a couple.
so that's it. I'm assuming that they are all qualified teachers and that they are all capable of delivering what they promise.
anyone got any experience of picking a language school or any other comments?
any/all help gratefully received.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 http://www.drozhealthblog.com/dsn-code-black/
- 2 Italy: Hotels on the Amalfi Coast; Orvieto; Perugia; Florence; and Siena
- 3 Winter ... UK Finland Sweden. (Live...ish)
- 4 Help me with an affordable hotel in Barcelona
- 5 Help needed for Bergamo to Venice journey
- 6 Is the scenery in South Italy worth the trip by train
- 7 Spain.... 2.5 Weeks... Need Help!
- 8 Is a quick stopover in Bern worth it with 3 kids?
- 9 August - Croatia, Italy, Malta
- 10 Four Nights in Nice--What should we do?
- 11 Amalfi as a home base for the Amalfi Coast
- 12 Help me pick a destination --- Please!
- 13 Looking for Paris Rental Apt.
- 14 US dairy vs European Dairy
- 15 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 16 A very important question regarding pronunciation
- 17 Paris November 2017
- 18 Has Berlin Banned Vacation Rentals?
- 19 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann 2017
- 20 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 21 1st Birthday Party in Italy questions
- 22 Barcelona to Malaga
- 23 Planning a Trip from DC to Anywhere in Europe (Budget Friendly)
- 24 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 25 Christmas week in Ireland