Which Italy Itein would you Prefer?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Fiance and I are planning our Honeymoon. We have booked airline tickets for Sept 20 to Rome and we are Flying out of Venice on Oct 4. We have 2 weeks.
Originally only planing to do Rome, Florence(Tuscany) and Venice. we are now thinking of adding Positano/Ac to our trip. So which would you rather?
Rome 5 Nights
Florence 4 Nights
Venice 4 Nights
or
Rome 4 Nights
Positano 3 Nights
Florence 3 Nights
Venice 3 Nights

A couple of things to keep in Mind, We don't mind moving around alot as we have very active/weird Schedules at home. Also, We have so many other places we want to visit in the world We don't know when we will get back to Italy. This is why we were thinking of seeing the Amalfi coast while we are there. Are we cramming to much in with #2?
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 04:42 PM

One thing to bear in mind: Every time you move, you will lose 1/2 day and on a Positano/Florence move, you will lose even more than that.

The scenery of the Amalfi Coast is beautiful, but so is the scenery in Tuscany, in a different way. If you feel you would like to get out of cities for a day or two, it's much easier get into the Tuscan countryside than from Rome to Positano...
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 04:50 PM

I'm guessing that you're doing this entire trip by public transportation. The most scenic parts of the Tuscany countryside are best visited by car.

Like Zerlina mentioned - Positano is a little difficult & time consuming to get to/from by public transportation - and the leg from Positano to Florence will consume a lot of time. Some of the "action" dies down a little in late Sept on the Amalfi Coast - so if you're looking for action, you might be a little late.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 04:51 PM

Don't skip Positano - especially if you don't know if/when you will get the chance to return to Italy! If you take the train, you'll have fun enjoying the beautiful scenery along the way.
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 08:53 PM

Hi Mizzle,

Definitely #2!
It really does not sound too rushed for me.
I think you'll appreciate having been to all 4 places.

Have a wonderful time!
And congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

dina
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 11:05 PM

I'd probably favor #1.

But if you do #2, maybe it would make sense to get to Positano on the day of your arrival in Italy, then you could rearrange your time like this:
Positano 3 nights
Rome 4 nights
Florence 3 nights
Venice 3 nights

The first day will be a jetlagged blur, so you might as well use it to transit to Positano, rather than backtracking in the middle of your trip.
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 11:34 PM
ira

Hi M,

Since you are already booked into Rome and out of Venice, stay with #1.

It would be different if you were to fly into Naples and out of Venice.

However, If you decide that you must visit Positano, what time do you arrive in Rome?

Old Jan 7th, 2008, 02:06 AM

Hi Miz - Another vote for #2. Don't miss the chance to see Positano and the Amalfi Coast

Steve
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 03:45 AM

You are getting a split vote here. I would go with #1. I think all of the big three cities merit at least the amount of time you are suggesting in that itinerary. With the other option you are going to lose a lot of time in travel.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your comments.
WillTravel...Good Point
Ira...I arrive in Rome Sunday morning at 11:20 am.
I'm Still undecided at this point. I need another day or two to think it over.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 04:06 PM

My husband and I just returned from two weeks (actually 13 nights) in Italy. We flew to Venice, spent 3 nights there, 3 nights in Florence, 3 in Rome, 3 in Sorrento, and then back to Rome for 1 night before flying home. It was fabulous! Enough time to see the highlights everywhere, with a variety of cities. Don't miss the Amalfi Coast. Venice and Sorrento were our favorites! The art, ruins and churches in Rome and Florence were wonderful, and the food was fabulous everywhere.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 04:11 PM

I think you should see as much as you can while you're there you won't regret a few hours on the train if that's what it takes to see Positano.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 05:27 PM
kja

Hi, Mizzle -

It depends on what you want to see and experience, but I tend to side with #1. There is MORE than enough in each of those destinations to keep you occupied, and as wonderful as the Amalfi Coast is, the travel time there and back would cut into your options. That said, either itinerary could be wonderful.

Enjoy!
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 05:31 PM

If you really want to see the Amalfi Coast, then go for it. I don't think #2 will feel all that rushed, since you're spending at least 3 nights in every place. And Positano is worth the time and effort to get there, and then some.

I would agree with the above suggestion that you should try to get to Positano immediately upon arrival in Rome, though. Then head back to Rome for 4 nights before moving on to Florence. Otherwise, the day traveling from Positano to Florence will be very looong.

If you arrive in Rome at 11:20 a.m., you should head straight to the train station to get on the train to Naples where you can make your way to Positano (either by hydrofoil or combination of train/bus, or a private driver if you can afford it).
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

OK.. I have reworked our whole trip hoping to see even more then originally planned. Here it goes (fingers crossed for good responses)
Keep in mind airfare was booked about 2 months prior.
Arrive in Rome, Train to Sorrento via Naples.
4 nights in Sorrento with day trips to Naples, Positano, Pompeii and possibly Capri.
Train to Rome and spend 4 Nights
Train to Florence for 3 Nights
Train to Venice for 2 Nights and then fly home.
I know it may be a Little backwards but we had to jump on the airfare at the time especially since we thought we would only be visiting 3 Cities. With our revamped Itinerary I feel we are seeing a lot more of Italy. I won't feel so bad if we don't get back right away.
Thanks again for all your help!
I'm sure I will be posting with some more questions.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 07:49 PM

Sounds perfect!

Have a great trip!
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 02:45 AM
ira

Hi M

Your new plan looks good.

Enjoy your visit.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 03:12 AM

If it is only to see Florence and make no excursions in Tuscany, I would definitely say Florence 2 nights, Venice 3 nights.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 04:01 AM

With only 2 weeks I'd stick to 3 locations. If you want to do the 'Big 3' I'd suggest

Rome 4/5 Nights
Florence 2 Nights
Venice 6/7 Nights

Personally I prefer to intersperse busy periods sightseeing in cities with somewhere to relax in beautiful surroundings, though. So how about staying in rural or coastal Tusacany & doing Florence as a day trip ? Keeping the 3 cities, I'd go for something like

Rome 3 Nights
Rural/coastal Tuscany 7 Nights
Venice 4 Nights.

But in fact, we were exhausted by the time we arrived at our first honeymoon destination, after several days of wedding revelries; so personally I'd go for relaxing first, then a city, then relaxing again.

Old Jan 8th, 2008, 07:17 AM

I'm with Baldrick. 2 nights Florence, 3 nights Venice. Venice is wonderfully romantic and will be a relaxing end to your trip. Plus, to make connections, most flights leave Venice very early so you'll have nothing of that last day. On the other hand, if you love renaissance art and architecture, then more time in Florence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -