Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Which Italian artist's work should I buy? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/which-italian-artists-work-should-i-buy-399695/)

Natalia Feb 15th, 2004 10:16 PM

Which Italian artist's work should I buy?

This time when I am in Italy I want to buy some local artist's paintings.

No, not the ones on the street, but not more than a few hundered euro either.

Any recommendations? I will be in the South and in Rome. Thanks.

ellenem Feb 16th, 2004 06:38 AM

Buy something that.you like--don't worry who painted it.

ira Feb 16th, 2004 07:47 AM

Hay ellenem,

Don't you realize that art is an investment, not something to be enjoyed?

DRJ Feb 16th, 2004 07:54 AM

Natalia: Take a short train ride to Orvieto and visit the studio of Michaelangeli. He is a wood sculptor and has his shop on the main street. I bought an "angelo" last fall and enjoy it every day. BTW, I Sette Consoli is a worthwhile dining experience in Orvieto, too.

Natalia Feb 16th, 2004 08:00 AM

DRJ thanks, that is the info I was asking about.

Ira, of course I only buy art that I like, what a silly statement.

Years ago I found two very talented artists in Sorrento and buy some of their work every time I am there, but I am not informed on artists further north. I am sure there are other Fodorites who have discovered out of the way galleries, etc.

Thanks again DRJ.

chardonnay Feb 17th, 2004 10:28 AM

Between Plaza Navona and the river are alot of galleries with new and established artists, find one you like and go from there.

Have fun.

Patrick Feb 17th, 2004 11:49 AM

I guess I'm a little confused. Is this really about buying a couple pieces of art at a couple of hundred euro each and expecting the pieces to some day really be worth something? If so, this question can be answered in the same way as someone asking what stocks to buy that will be worth a lot in two years, or asking if they should get a lot of euro now because they're going to be going way up in value. No one knows.

If you were talking about major investments of tens of thousands of dollars on important pieces of art, then sure, a good advisor could give you good advice. But in your case, I agree that all you should really worry about is what you like hanging on your wall!

I'm curious if anyone here who has bought a painting at Montmarte by some struggling artist has found out they could sell it a huge profit some 10 or 20 years later. I've never heard of such a thing, but maybe it could happen -- sort of like winning a lottery.

Natalia Feb 17th, 2004 11:59 AM

Patrick, I never said I was looking for an investment.

I was just asking anyone here who is interested in local artisans to recommend some of their favorites, and where to buy them.

I have a few days solo in these areas and I always seem to wander in and out of galleries. I am just looking for interesting recommendations, nothing important.