Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Which island for solo traveler without a car? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/which-island-for-solo-traveler-without-a-car-1686269/)

mcbg1 Aug 9th, 2020 01:04 PM

Which island for solo traveler without a car?

I am hoping to be able to spend 2-3 weeks in Greece next month. I am just looking for a nice quiet spot where I can relax, enjoy the weather, beaches and good food. I'll be traveling solo and I do not drive so it needs to be somewhere central or with good public transport to get around.

Would Crete be a good idea? I've been to Athens, Mykonos and Santorini before.

Because of the virus, I'd prefer to lay low in one spot instead of moving from place to place.

Thanks!

thursdaysd Aug 9th, 2020 01:45 PM

I was a solo traveler without a car on Crete, Rhodes and Kos. I managed fine on all of them, but there is less to do on Kos (I was using it as a stepping stone to Turkey).

mcbg1 Aug 9th, 2020 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by thursdaysd (Post 17142113)
I was a solo traveler without a car on Crete, Rhodes and Kos. I managed fine on all of them, but there is less to do on Kos (I was using it as a stepping stone to Turkey).

Any town in particular you'd recommend in Crete or Rhodes with a great beach? I don't need a big bustling city as long as I can find a few stores and restaurants.

thursdaysd Aug 9th, 2020 03:02 PM

Sorry, I don't do beaches. South coast of Crete would probably be good for that.

brotherleelove2004 Aug 9th, 2020 06:49 PM

Naxos and Paros would work. They both have lots to see and do and an excellent bus system.

Traveler_Nick Aug 9th, 2020 07:45 PM

I don't think the beaches in Rhodes are really that great. Which brings up the point what are you looking for in a beach? Different people have different ideas of what a great beach means.

When I saw the three weeks I was going to suggest a larger island just to keep you busy but if you're hoping to just park yourself you don't need to worry about that.

Why not take the ferry from Rhodes and head to Symi? If you're worried about the virus Symi will likely be quieter.

Even the end of this month things will likely have slowed down even in Rhodes .

mcbg1 Aug 10th, 2020 05:37 AM

I guess in terms of beaches, I'm thinking sand and crystal clear blue waters. The only problem is that looking at all possible islands, it seems the best beaches are far from towns.

Heimdall Aug 10th, 2020 06:32 AM

There is no shortage of “crystal clear blue waters” in the Greek Islands, but some beaches have pebbles rather than sand. Likewise, most islands have good bus systems, so a car is not essential. I drive at home, but prefer to avoid the hassle of car rental when travelling, so use public transport, which can mean buses or in some cases taxi boats to the beaches. To me the best islands for non-drivers are the small to medium sized ones where you can get nearly everywhere on foot or by bus. Naxos and Paros + Antiparos are my favourite islands in that respect.

Traveler_Nick Aug 10th, 2020 10:04 PM

It's more than sand versus pebbles.

For example from memory the Lindos town beach is very organized. Rows of loungers. Very neat and orderly. Some people like that.

OTOH there are wilder beaches on the same island that are little changed from the day humans first walked them.

If you want a wilder almost desert beach see if you can find an apartment within walking distance.

From what you've mentioned to me doesn't sound like you're hoping to explore a huge amount. A taxi/bus from the airport and then walk .

Heimdall Aug 11th, 2020 03:45 AM

Wild beaches for me every time! There are other considerations as well, for example do you like long sandy beaches or little sandy coves sheltered from wind? I prefer the latter.

Christina Aug 11th, 2020 01:07 PM

I went to the beach when visiting Rhodes, we just hired a taxi to take us and wait I was with a friend). Taxis aren't that expensive there, that was very doable. And I wold think with the current economy, you could find a guy willing to do that. You may feel funny doing that alone, though, I suppose. I think we went to Afandou beach which is about 20 km away from the main old town. Anthony Quinn beach is closer but real small and Tragandou is also closer but more pebbles.

I liked Rhodes for the city and things to see, but I probably wouldn't go there if beaches were a main quest.

mcbg1 Aug 11th, 2020 02:03 PM

Lindos looks amazing but the beach does look a bit too organized for me. I do like less crowded beaches but I can't imagine the island being too busy this year. While Naxos and Paros look great, I do feel more drawn to Rhodes and Crete based on my research in the last few days. Just need to figure out where to stay on those islands so that I'm within walking distance or a bus ride from good beaches, stores and restaurants. Most of my days will be spent simply walking around and enjoying the scenery.

Traveler_Nick Aug 11th, 2020 11:16 PM

Have you looked at Symi?

Spilt your time betweens Rhodes old town for the more cultural aspects and Symi for the beaches. There is a ferry between the two. I assume the small boats that take people to the various Symi beaches are still running. Likely all going to be fairly empty next month.

balthy Aug 12th, 2020 04:47 AM

Halkidiki has beautiful beaches, probably the best that I have seen in Greece. But it is on the mainland and aside from beaches there really isn't anything cultural ie no ruins, just scenery and fabulous beaches, nice tavernas on the beach.

Katherine23 Aug 14th, 2020 08:04 AM

I would strongly recommend Hydra, is a tiny island where cars are not allowed. Furthermore is Covid-19 free!

zebec Sep 23rd, 2020 07:57 PM

Not sure whether you've left yet OP MCBG, or even if you've deferred your trip til next year....but the isle of Folegandros might fit your parameters. It has a public bus, which travels the spine of the island and its beaches are quite good. Add its pretty Hora and genuine agriculture on the other half of the isle and you can't go wrong. Also on Folegandros: VG food throughout, fantastic views plus one of the best value splurge hotels in the Cyclades.
Btw, as per your original query--it also has a taxi service now, begun about a decade ago.
Endahksi!
I am done. The island.