Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which is your favourite wine and food region of Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2006, 03:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here’s a challenge to all food and wine lovers!

Me I love Piedmont, I just spend a week there at the fab Villa Sampaguita close to Asti, my second visit and I can’t get enough of the incredible trattorie in the region, not one bad experience, and what a fabulous range of foods, from local risotto, to Cuneo beef, anti-pasti to die for, fresh made raviolis, so many cheeses, the list goes on and on, food is the local passion, and then the wine, well I love the Piedmont red wines and the delicate Moscato d’Asti’s. And prices are so reasonable.

I have been to Tuscany and sorry to say, although the food was OK, I was overall disappointed after Piedmontese cuisine. And in Florence and Rome, you can find excellent world-class restaurants (Hotel Eden is one of my most favourite restaurants in the world) but you pay a lot.

Everyone tells me that I need to visit Emilia Romagna around Bologna and Modena, that the food is great there, but what about the wine? Isn’t that where they make that Lambrusco stuff?

Lets hear about everyone’s favourite regional Italian foods!
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 04:10 AM
ira

Hi C,

> Isn’t that where they make that Lambrusco stuff? <

Well, they do have a white DOCG, Albana di Romagna.

Also, there are good Lambrusco's. We recently had a Ca' de' Medici with chocolate truffles. The wine was very fizzy (almost like champagne), lush and sweet - a very good pairing.

Old Jun 12th, 2006, 08:39 AM

For food, Emilia Romagna gets my vote with Lazio not too far behind. For food and wine, Veneto is at the top of my list. Campania rates highly as well, as does Sicily. I have not yet done much exploring in Piedmont although will plan a trip there in the next year or so. I suspect that for wines, Alto Adige is among the richest regions in the country.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 09:04 AM

I agree with Ira - don't count out Lambrusco. It has gotten a bad rap because of the "cheap" stuff Riunite puts out. I have also had one from Medici Ermete that is delicious. Very nice before or after dinner.

Old Jun 12th, 2006, 09:19 AM

The region of Veneto sure gets my vote too! But I love the food and wine of the various regions of Italy..to much if the truth be known.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 08:53 PM

The Prosecco Trail in the Veneto. Especially, Ca Salina winery in Valdobbiadene.

I was bringing home a couple of bottles when the security guard in the Venice airport stopped me to tell me that Ca Salina was an excellant wine!
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 10:20 PM

I have switched my "red wine love" to the Sicilian wine Nero D'Avola( from the Eastern side of Sicily). Its amazing how it is taking off where I am live and off course, I would have to add that I love all the fresh seafood and all their wonderful pastas in Sicily that would go with it!
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 10:31 PM

For food - every region in Italy has a LOT of good things to offer, afaic.

Wine? Well one of the best hedonistic pleasure in life for me is a mature barolo from the Piedmont. Producers like Giacomo Conterno, Aldo Conterno, and the great wines from Mascarello are simply, priceless.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 12:41 AM

Liguria and Sicily tie.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 01:33 AM
SHADRACH

Puglia is my favorite region in terms of food. I don't drink wine so I can't tell you about the wine there.

Old Jun 13th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

The score so far is:

Piedmont - 2
Veneto - 2 (or 3 depending how you score)
Sicily - 1&1/2
Emilia Romagna -1
Puglia -1
Liguria - 1/2

No more votes? What's happened to tsucany and Umbria? Or Lombardy?
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 03:05 PM

We ate really well in Le Marche. As an olive lover, I would go back just for a dish of olives ascolana (meat stuffed, deepfried green olives)with a glass of verdecchio (a white wine with a greenish tint. Stands up well to the olives. MMMMMM.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 03:30 PM

For just the wines, my vote is Montalcino. For food & wine combo, I enjoyed both in Verona.

And count me in as a fan of better lambrusco. Barbolini's Lambrusco di Grasparossa is a summer favorite.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 03:40 PM

The wines of Montefalco are great, but I didn't care for Umbrian food -- or Tuscan food!

I agree that the wines of the Veneto, especially around Verona and Garda, are fantastic.

I also like the food of the Amalfi. And while I have encountered many people who do not like gelato, pizza or pasta, I have yet to meet anybody who does not like limoncello.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 06:02 PM

Challicewell -

Well, I vote for Tuscany. Of course, I've only been to Florence and Rome, so I'm no expert. Both had fantastic food and wine. I'm drooling just remembering it!
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 06:17 PM

Vera, in Veneto I have often had those meat stuffed olives although the olives were not deep fried. But a question..how in heavens name do they get the meat into the olives, lol. At least in Veneto the olives were whole, with just a small hole where the pit evidently was removed. I guess some kind of a tool with a needle "pushed" the meat into the olive? I sure wish I could have those olives here at home. Very yummy.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 06:22 PM

LoveItaly: Not easy to stuff those olives, BUT the special green olives they use are from Ascoli Picena and they are bigger than normal.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 06:29 PM

I will cast a vote for Ligurian vote. I think it is outstanding; the seafood is so good, and the olive oil, earthy flavors of mushrooms, the pesto, the breads, the trofi, love the stuff.

But don't count out Tuscan food. Have you tried pappa al pomodoro, bistecca Fiorentino, and especially, pecorino di Pienza? Sooo good. Sciaciatta... ah...

I can't speak for wines, as I don't drink, but working in the area, I know that enthusiasts from all over the world seek out Tuscan wines.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 06:31 PM

Hi Vera, sounds like the olives I have had so many times in Veneto (except nonfried). The world is full of mysteries but I just want to know the mystery of how that meat gets into the olives. Even my Italians friends in Veneto don't know (they buy them at the deli) LOL. Take care!!
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 07:12 PM

The Barbera wine at Castello di Luzzano
was absolutely wonderful. It borders Emilia Romagna and Lombardy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -