Which is your favorite travel magazine?

Old Jan 5th, 1999, 04:44 PM
Al

Which is your favorite travel magazine?

This begs the question because you may not have one. Or you may have given up hope of finding a reliable source. Or your old favorite has gone so snooty as to chill your enthusiasm for their selections of countries, cities, or watering holes. But, I just was wondering, if might share your choice ... or choices ... with us?

Old Jan 5th, 1999, 05:25 PM
anne

Our favorite, and the only one we subscribe to, is Travel Holiday. It's given us some great ideas, like a weekend trip to Belgium. I save all the old copies of it and any other that we've picked up (I usually leaf through other travel mags monthly to see if there's one worth buying for our tastes) and have been glad for ideas gleaned from these old copies. Second favorite is Travel and Leisure.
And although they're not travel mags, Gourmet, Food and Wine, Wine Spectator, and Bon Appetite often have excellent travel articles.

Old Jan 6th, 1999, 04:55 AM
elaine

Hi Al
As I just plugged below, mine is
International Travel News which is largely written by its readers. Based in Sacramento, CA, they also have a web site. They love to send anyone a free copy by the way. I don't have a financial interest, just a reader's interest.
See also below the question about
Travel Writers being on the "take" for
other opinions on publications.
elaine

Old Jan 6th, 1999, 05:47 AM
Wes Fowler

Al,
I gather this question is prompted by responses to your previous query about travel writers "on the take" which told you which magazines travelers DON'T like! See my response to that query. I'm not a travel magazine fan. I prefer the perceptive in depth writings of someone like V. S. Pritchett ("London Perceived") and, particularly, Jan Morris.

Old Jan 6th, 1999, 06:19 AM
Nicole

I prefer National Geographic's "Traveler" magazine. The photographs are beautiful, the feature articles are well-written, interesting and useful, and there are useful sections with travel tips, website recommendations, etc. Also, I don't find it "snooty" as some of the other travel mags are -- the places, hotels, and restaurants which they feature are usually not out of my league (I travel with a moderate budget).

Old Jan 6th, 1999, 06:28 AM
Kat

A tip to all: posts such as this one as well as "Are Travel Writers on the Take" are best suited to the forum named "Smart Travel Tips." This forum is designed for generic travel discussions unrelated to a specific continent, country or locale.
Regards,
Kat

Old Jan 6th, 1999, 08:13 AM
Maira

Another vote for 'National Geographic's Traveller' magazine. The articles about sites and cities are usually very interesting reading even when is a destination you aren't planning to visit.

Old Jan 6th, 1999, 09:27 AM
Joe

I look at travel magazines occasionally, but often the articles seem promotional or pretentous and the budget level is generally too high for me. Guidebooks are more interesting. The exception is the New York Time's Sophisticated Traveler, which is publihsed twice a year as a magazine supplement to the Sunday paper. Some of the articles are outrageous in terms of expense, trendiness and snob value, but they're usually well written and fun to read. And occasionally they have worthwhile advice. For example, the issue that came out the weekend before we went to Ireland in '95 recommended having tea in the Shelbourne Hotel in Dublin, and it was one of the pleasures of the trip. We went with my wife's parents, and it was authentic in a way that the retro-teas that became popular at U.S. hotels in the '80s aren't.

Old Jan 6th, 1999, 10:20 AM
Al

Kat takes me to task for posing this question in the "Europe" page. Hope she didn't get her knickers in a twist. It's just that if you check these sites you will see that "Europe" gets the lion's share of the readership and traffic. The somewhat generic "Travel Tips" should get more traffic, I agree. But, as the old hot dog salesman said, put your wagon on the busy street!

Old Jan 6th, 1999, 02:48 PM
Kat

Gratuitous reference to knickers aside, she harumphed, I'm willing to acquiesce to the less rigid contingent viz. posting protocol.

I, too, am a Harper's Hideaway fan; the cost is more than worthwhile. I'm surprised by the hostility expressed for Conde Nast and Travel & Leisure. Neither are my fave travel pubs but I do subscribe to both and find them mildly enjoyable and often useful. Both capture the glamour of travel more effectively than their competition.

I used to get Departures with my AmEx Platinum account but no longer which probably is OK since the last issues had gotten rather far afield from travel and began to resemble the Robb Report or some such. The Departures of a year ago and more, however, were interesting and quite useful.

I often refer to the travel sections of the New York Times and Los Angeles Times.

Because I'm horticulturally inclined, I subscribe to many gardening publications (Gardens Illustrated, the RHS' Garden, Fine Gardens, Garden Design et al.) and these have turned out to be phenomenally helpful travel publications. This works because gardens are cultivated worldwide so the geographic reach of most of the publications is quite good. Then, I suppose one has to like gardens!

I've subscribed for years to Gourmet, still do, yet it their travel reportage is less significant than it was five years ago. Anyone else notice this? Another excellent 'foodie' pub with mondo travel applicability is 'Saveur.'

Cheers (and peace),
Kat

Old Jan 6th, 1999, 03:32 PM
Joyce

We enjoy Nat'l Geographic's
Traveler, have taken and dropped Conde Nast Travel and Travel-Holiday, also dropped Tavel & Leisure, but by far and away our favorite is Elaine's recommendation, International Travel News. As she said, it is basically written by and for travelers. People send in their recommendations (and beware alerts) for restaurants and hotels, stating price range, they have a page like this forum where you can ask for specific recommendations, and lots of good things. No fancy newsprint or glossy pix, just good, practical, useful advice from those who have been there, done that. I couldn't find their website, but their phone is (800) 366-9192, and they are most obliging about sending a complimentary copy to any who request it.

Old Jan 6th, 1999, 08:05 PM
dorothy

International Travel News (ITN) is my choice by far, wrtten mostly by ordinary travelers. They tell what they liked, or did not like about a place or a company. They are supposed to give dates, addresses and prices which gives the reader a better way of evaluating. There are advertisements from companies I would never have heard of on my own.
Readers send in lists or travel friends for a free copy. ITN never bothers you again if you do not respond.
As far as my travel needs, I find ITN full of practical and useful information.

Old Jan 6th, 1999, 08:07 PM
dorothy

International Travel News (ITN) is my choice by far, wrtten mostly by ordinary travelers. They tell what they liked, or did not like about a place or a company. They are supposed to give dates, addresses and prices which gives the reader a better way of evaluating. There are advertisements from companies I would never have heard of on my own.
Readers send in lists or travel friends for a free copy. ITN never bothers you again if you do not respond.
As far as my travel needs, I find ITN full of practical and useful information.

Old Jan 7th, 1999, 01:51 AM
NIGEL DORAN

Try reading the travel section of the Telegraph, the British newspaper. It is available on line:
www.plan-et.co.uk
It is really good and gives you access to previous editions and to other related sites. That's how I found the Fodor's site.

Old Jan 7th, 1999, 01:59 AM
Denise

Nigel, Thank you for web site, I did try but couldn't connect. Is there a typo here or am I just unlucky. Denise

Old Jan 7th, 1999, 04:58 AM
Covadonga

Denise, try with
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/
Thatīs the web page for The Daily Telegraph, and you just have to subscribe to it (itīs free) and afterwards you can select your interests. The Planet is the travel section, and I agree with Nigel.
Good luck.

Old Jan 7th, 1999, 07:55 AM
B.Irving

I have been a subscriber to National Geographic Traveller from the time that the very first issue was published. But when I go to the Dentist or to get my hair cut, I go early because they both have current subcriptions to Conde Naste. & I like that magazine for a different view on things. I especially like the Omsbudman column to help keep abreast of some of the problems that can occur. Also, on Sunday's the first section of paper that I read is the travel section. The Chicago Tribune & Milwaukee Journal both have good travel sections.

Old Jan 7th, 1999, 07:52 PM
Potoula Diaz

My favorite travel magazine would have to be Arthur Frommer's Budget Travel magazine. The truth be told, I have only read the latest issue, but I loved it because it is entirely chock-ful of information and gives hundreds of bargain ideas. It really addresses the needs of the budget traveler. I also like National Geographic Traveler.