Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Which is the best Thames river tour and I'd really love feedback on great places to eat in London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/which-is-the-best-thames-river-tour-and-id-really-love-feedback-on-great-places-to-eat-in-london-29663/)

ALI (ALISON) Jul 30th, 1998 08:22 AM

Which is the best Thames river tour and I'd really love feedback on great places to eat in London

Hi there, <BR> <BR>Another question for anyone surfing out there. Has anyone taken one of the canal cruises on the Thames? Which is the best and what are some good not too touristy places to eat?? <BR> <BR>Thanks for your input. <BR> <BR>PS - I'm still hoping to get a reply to my Pavilion Holiday Villa question - Has anyone stayed there

Kat Jul 30th, 1998 09:12 AM

I'm an ignoramus viz. Thames river tours but I am able to recommend London restaurants I particularly enjoy: <BR> <BR>- Bibendum (Conran's first and still his best) <BR>- River Cafe <BR>- Oxo Tower (fabulous views and the food is fine) <BR>- The Grill at the Savoy <BR>- The white-table-cloth restaurant at the Tate Gallery (marvelous for lunch) <BR>- Alastair Little <BR>- Chez Max <BR> <BR>For Afternoon Tea: <BR>- Fortnum & Mason (upstairs and downstairs) <BR>- Brown's Hotel (make reservation) <BR>- Park Room at the Hyde Park Hotel (make reservation) <BR>- Claridge's (make reservation) <BR> <BR>SKIP any of the eateries at Harrods (other than the Food Hall, of course); they're awful and cavernously lacking in ambience.

Roger Jul 30th, 1998 09:47 AM

I am confused. You mention a canal cruise on the Thames. The Thames is a river not a canal. Do you want a canal boat cuise or the regular larger boat tour. Many regular boats leave from Westminster pier to the Tower of London, Greenwich and a very long ride to Hamton Court. You can pick which one you want.

Ali Jul 30th, 1998 10:13 AM

<BR>Hi Roger, <BR> <BR>Sorry for the confusion, but I did mean a river cruise. <BR> <BR>Thanks for your info.

Arizona Jul 30th, 1998 12:44 PM

You might like to take the boat upstream from Westminster Pier (near the Houses of Parliament) to Hampton Court Palace, once home of Henry VIII and other monarchs. Gives you an entirely different perspective on London and environs. Then, after seeing the palace, take the train (just across the bridge) back into central London in minutes. In all, this is a leisurely way to spend a day, see some wonderful sights, and leave the driving in hectic London to others.

Peter Goodman Jul 30th, 1998 01:25 PM

<BR>Places to eat: <BR>-Bibendum on Fulham Rd in Chelsea - lunch or dinner - superb "mediterranean" fare - <BR> <BR>-La Tante Claire - also in Chelsea - great traditional french - small - very pretty - exemplary food and ambiance - try the "pied au cochon farci" - I get hungry writing about it!!! <BR> <BR>

Pam Aug 1st, 1998 11:12 AM

Last fall I took an evening cruise on the Thames, departed from the Tower of London docks about 8:00pm. I'm sure that it being a clear night with a full moon went a long way towards making it seem so special, but when we came around the bend in the river just as Big Ben struck 9:00 - it was truly awesome! <BR>

elaine Aug 1st, 1998 03:55 PM

<BR>I highly recommend Chez Nico, a Michelin <BR>3 star restaurant which happens to be located in the Grosvenor House Hotel. It was one of the finest restaurants I've ever eaten in. Mostly <BR>French-ish, but innovative and delicious. <BR>Perfect service. Very pricey.

Aj Aug 2nd, 1998 02:07 PM

Someone posted the following recommendations several days ago. They are very good. All are more or less expensive, but a lot of food in London is expensive and these places are expensive, good, and trendy. ALL of the Conran restaurants are classy. Our favorite isn't Bibendum (which is marvelous, to be sure) but, rather, the restaurant Quaglino's, just off Jermyn Street near Fortnum's. It has a 1930s feeling to it. <BR> <BR> The list: <BR>-Bibendum (Conran's first and still his best) <BR> - River Cafe <BR> - Oxo Tower (fabulous views and the food is fine) <BR>- The Grill at the Savoy <BR>- The white-table-cloth restaurant at the Tate Gallery (marvelous for lunch) <BR>- Alastair Little <BR>- Chez Max <BR> <BR> For Afternoon Tea: <BR> -Fortnum & Mason (upstairs and downstairs) <BR>- Brown's Hotel (make reservation) <BR>- Park Room at the Hyde Park Hotel (make reservation) <BR>- Claridge's (make reservations. <BR> <BR> SKIP any of the eateries at Harrods (other than the Food Hall, of course); they're awful and cavernously lacking in ambience. <BR> <BR> Lots of people go in for puib grub in London but I think its just one step above fast food. Eating at a pub can be fun but not always good food.And NEVER eat at a London pub after 2 p.m. or so.By then the food has been in stam tables far too long. Country pubs, carefully chosen, can be a delight. <BR> <BR> It's true that the main restaurant at the Tate is good but the great treat is the wine list. It's considered the best bargain in town because the wine-buyer knows his stuff and they don't jack up the price. <BR> <BR> You'll see a lot of Americans at the Ritz at tea. Brown's is very, as they say, home counties; that is, where the gentry go. <BR> <BR> Don't believe the nay-sayers who put British food down!

raeona Aug 2nd, 1998 07:58 PM

The Terrace, a tucked-away little place on a residential street in Kensington. But easy to find. From Kensington High Street, go up Kensington Church street (a big stop light, church on the corner, not quite opposite the K. tube). There's a side street that breaks to your left and the restaurant is down about two blocks. Very quiet. Very stylish. Very good. Some outdoor tables. Medium pricey. We were the only Americans in the place. <BR> <BR>Be prepared. London/England is NO bargain right now!

Cindy Aug 4th, 1998 06:56 AM

I would like to add my favorite restaurant "La pont de la Tour" to the list. Make reservations for a table outside as the view of the Tower Bridge is spectacular. When we are in the mood for some terrific Italian food we head for Cafe Uno near Carnaby Street. <BR> <BR>There is a wonderful canal ride in London - The Regent's Canal which is the Grand Union Canal network. You can have lunch or dinner on one of the longboats that make the passage along the northern perimeter of Regent's park (you can see the zoo from the water). I've checked my information from the London Waterbus Company (it is a couple of years old) which operates regular service on the Zoo Waterbus between Camden Lock and the zoo. We had lunch on the My Fair Lady and loved it. <BR>

John Aug 4th, 1998 02:46 PM

"Royal River Thames Cruises" are good. They leave from Westminster Pier (under Westminster Bridge) every half hour April-October, from Westminster to Greenwich. Go one-way and come back on the Docklands Light Rail (a tramway) for a look at something different. <BR>Le Mercury in Upper St, Islington, N1, (Highbury & Islington tube) over the street from the Almeida Theatre (also worth a visit) is the best value French restaurant I've seen in London.

Bill Irving Aug 6th, 1998 07:47 AM

I have enjoyed Thames cruises both ways from Westminster Pier to Greenwich, but my favorite Thames cruise is from Windsor, <BR>where your actually cruise through some serene countryside, rather than the city. & the view of Windsor castle, when the <BR>boat returns to Windsor, is really something to see. Also if you get to the city of Bath, a cruise from there on the Avon <BR>River also gives a good view of the countryside.

Luca Bracci Aug 6th, 1998 05:06 PM

I took the tour which leaves from near the tower of london. it's not bad, it takes you out to trafalgar square and stuff out by the Naval Academy of England, out the the thames barriers. <BR> <BR>