Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   which is the best backpack? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/which-is-the-best-backpack-335446/)

santos240 Jul 9th, 2003 03:57 PM

which is the best backpack?

Hey everyone! Just wanted a little advice on what backpack would be the best for 6 weeks in Europe. I have heard Eagle Creek is good. What do you think?

Lesli Jul 9th, 2003 04:03 PM

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34431230

As mentioned on this thread, you're not likely to find lots of backpackers here. Your question will get lots more responses on the Thorn Tree board on lonelyplanet.com and/or eurotrip.com

Intrepid Jul 9th, 2003 04:04 PM

I have several Eagle Creek products and they are excellent. But I also have several REI generic products that are just as good. Whatever you decide I'd look for one (or it) at a place like ebags and get it at a discount.
Just for further info I have one of the huge Eagle Creek convertible (from wheeled luggage to back pack) ones..and as many have said, you rarely ever use these strictly as a backpack.

crazymina Jul 9th, 2003 04:12 PM

Hey Santos...

Eagle Creek is popular, but it is a TRAVEL pack. Which is fine because you are traveling. It will not be as comfortable as an internal frame hiking backpack for long hauls, as it is usually wider and can pull a bit more on the shoulders. However, these packs are usually front loading, which is great for packing.

I took a outdoor backpack..ArcTeryx, which I loved. But the top loading feature was tiring. I bought it over a travel pack because I planned to do actual backpacking with it.

Whatever you decide, go to a reputable store, like REI and try on some packs with weights in them. The sales person can help you with this. Walk around the store and try on several packs. You'd be surprised what a difference each pack has. I like to purchase from the store that helps me, but I'm sure you can find better deals online, once you decide on the pack of your choice.

Don't forget to pack light!

e_roz Jul 9th, 2003 04:17 PM

Do you use backpacks often? I thought I wanted one but after some posts here and other research just brought my 22 inch rolling suitcase. It was perfect! We were only in Italy for 2 wks but had our laundry done after wk 1 (had it done in Buonconvento in Tuscany) and it was the cleanest ever (even ironed)!

anna_k Jul 9th, 2003 07:25 PM

Kelty makes really nice bags and they are usually cheaper than Eagle Creek, I found the Eagle Creek bags to be too large for what I needed. My husband and I have 3 Kelty bags between the two of us, 2 backpacks, and 1 rolling back pack. I definitely would buy another Kelty. Check out Campmor.com, they sometimes have good deals on backpacks.

fergie12 Jul 9th, 2003 07:42 PM

As above poster stated, go to a reputable store (Galyan's is good if there is one near you) and talk to someone with backpack experience. Backpack styles fit differently for everyone, so you will need to try several on. (They don't have to be expensive to be comfortable.) Then have the salesperson bend the braces to fit your body. That will make sure the weight is distributed where it should be (not on your shoulders.) Good luck.

jenviolin Jul 10th, 2003 03:28 AM

If you can pack really, really light, check out the REI HitchHiker. It's very small (which means it will never get too heavy!) and it zips all the way open to reveal two compartments (super-easy access) that you can pack and cinch, then zip up.
I would definitely not choose a top-loader unless you are going to unpack completely at each stop.

m_kingdom Jul 10th, 2003 03:42 AM

Buy the best you can afford, mulberry, prada, gucci, louis vuitton, tanner krolle, these should last you a lifetime, good quality and stylish to boot, consider it an investment in both practicality and style, enjoy!

TimS Jul 10th, 2003 06:00 AM

If you're looking for a travel-type backpack rather than an outdoor/camping backpack, take a look at the one offered through the Travel Store at Europe Through the Back Door (www.ricksteves.com). It's the maximum size allowed as carry-on luggage.

UKUKUK Jan 30th, 2004 02:51 AM

I would not buy a gucci, prada, or LMVH one to back pack around europe. perhaps a tanner krolle one as that might be a little more discrete. people who travel cheaply with expensive luggage look like real pikies. LMVH is very common (although much is fake which does not help the brand) and tacky.

i would go for a Karrimor or similar...