Reload this Page >

Which is more affordable France or England

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 10:50 AM
polly

I have found package deals that are the same price for 3 nights and air in late spring early summer. I can choose either London or Paris. My plan is to do the 3 nights in the city and then also spend 10 days elsewhere in the country. I've been to France recently so I have an idea of costs there, but have never been to England. I am trying to keep costs fairly low. Which would make the best budget trip?

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 11:14 AM
Norma

We go to France every year for pleasure and to England every year out of duty, to visit family. England is so shockingly expensive that I am always left wondering how Britain manages to keep those tourists coming year after year. So if you have an idea of the costs in France, you can double that for almost everything in the UK, and probably triple it for restaurant meals. I remember reading recently that London is now the most expensive city in the world to visit. Still a fascinating and wonderful city and I love it, but if you are wanting a budget trip I don't think England will do it for you. Of course, all of what I have written refers to independent travel. If you go on a tour that's a different breed of cat.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 11:20 AM
StCirq

I agree. I don't go to the UK all that often, but when I do the prices take my breath away. I don't know how the Brits make ends meet. I understand why there are so many of them living in France now.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Rex

The cost of London vs Paris is an entirely different question from the cost of England vs. France.<BR><BR>It might boil down to what kind of "style" you're seeking in the countryside (and specifically where) as well as in the cities.<BR><BR>I wouldn't make the choice based on price.<BR><BR>Aimez-vous tous choses Francais?<BR><BR>Aimez-vous parler Francais?<BR><BR>Peut-etre c'est comme ca qu'on doit faire le choix.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 11:39 AM
HUH?

What are you babbling about now, Rex?<BR><BR>Are you suggesing Polly should decide whether she'd rather speak English than French? Are you trying to intimidate her, because maybe she doesn't speak French? Do you think if she doesn't speak French she should go to London, not Paris? Are you saying she should ask herself those questions in French no matter which place she's going? WHAT is your point? <BR><BR>Can't you resist the urge to reply to everything, even when you don't have anything useful to contribute?<BR><BR>Go back to your room and practice your French.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 11:42 AM
Rex

I'm saying that if she DOES like all things French, if she DOES like speaking French, then she SHOULD decide to go to France.<BR><BR>Un tel cul!<BR>

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 12:06 PM
Traveling girl

Hi, Polly<BR>I have traveled in the countryside of both England and France and believe they are comparably priced. I try to stay to 80 to 100 per night and have been successful in both locales. The food is about the same. <BR>What is your budget, Polly? Perhaps we can help point you to a few nice budget locations and that will help with your decision making. Are you traveing alone or with others? What type of transportation are you planning to use to get from the city to the countryside?<BR>Give us more, Polly, and let's see what we can do.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 12:08 PM
Ellen

Polly, the rule of thumb for London is that if somethng costs a dollar in the US, it costs a pound over there. Since a pound is worth about $1.44, that's how much more expesive everything is in London. BUT we found that in the countryside, everything was much more reaosnable. Plenty of B&B's for &pound;50 per night for two, with a huge breakfast. I'd say that if you've recently been to France, then give the UK a try.<BR><BR>Another consideration is that most of the museums in London are free. But if you're going to drive in the countryside, remember that Brits drive on the other side of the road, which IMHO is harder than speaking French.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 12:58 PM
Leslie

I just made a low budget trip to London. Granted, this was February and not summer. There were great hotel deals in London. Try www.hotel-assist.com.<BR><BR>But, my personal logic about this choice would be..."been to France recently"..."never been to England"..therefore, I'd go to England.<BR><BR>If the cost is of concern, just downgrade the class of hotels and types of restaurants you might have visited. Museums in London are all free now. It is SO easy to eat cheaply with all the ready made sandwich shops, food on the run, etc. Tube passes are economical. Even the half price ticket booth is there in Leischester Sq for theatre!<BR><BR>You least value might be train fare or car rental to visit outside of London, but you can certainly book low cost lodgings outside of London as well.<BR><BR>Best way to economize is to find a friend to split the hotel cost and car rental with you.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 01:53 PM
Alec

"I understand why there are so many of them living in France now"<BR>As a UK resident who travels to France regularly, I think there is more than cost consideration when people choose to live in one country or another (within EU, where there's freedom of movement). While unemployment in France remains high, in the Southeast of England, nearest to France, there's an acute shortage of skilled labour and many French people have moved over. Price comparison for typical tourist expenditure is but one part of the equation. Admittedly the cost of accommodation, eating out and admission is higher, for UK residents there are other items which are lower: income tax, social security, health care (free NHS), no road tolls (and petrol/gas prices are similar). While the French pay less for their cars, they pay more in annual car tax. And while housing costs are higher, the UK has a buoyant property market and many householders have seen their equity value double in the past 5 years. Indeed many Britons who have brought property in France have been able to finance their purchase by selling off their UK home at many times the price they originally paid. Cost of living is only one factor for many ex-pats in France. Of course there're intangibles like quality of life and weather. With the explosive growth of budget airlines, people can have the best of both worlds.<BR>

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 09:23 PM
topping

to the top, for polly poorpolly<BR>

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 07:19 AM
polly

To clarify: on a recent trip to France we were able to keep our lodging along the mediterranean to under $70 a night and didn't stay at any dives either. These were small family run hotels with private baths. Just no luxuries or extra amenities which doesn't matter to us because we don't spend much time in the room anyway. We would rent a car in either country. We are more interested in the smaller more rural authentic areas when we visit a country. We like to focus in on smaller regions and are more interested in learning about local culture than in pampering ourselves. We usually picnic for lunches to hold down costs and to conserve time. We will probably visit both countries at some time in the future, but right now finances are still tight since we are at the end of 12 years of college tuition payments for our kids. Thanks.