Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Which is better, London or Paris, and why? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/which-is-better-london-or-paris-and-why-192268/)

Edwin Jan 23rd, 2003 10:51 AM

Which is better, London or Paris, and why?

Making vacation plans and am trying to decide. I like museums and plays and fine dining. What do you think?

Chuck Jan 23rd, 2003 10:55 AM

London. They speak our language in more ways than one.

Apples and Peaches Jan 23rd, 2003 11:01 AM

I like ice cream; which is better, vanilla or chocolate?

Yellow and Green Jan 23rd, 2003 11:03 AM

<BR>I like colours. Which one is nicer: red or blue?

Bob Jan 23rd, 2003 11:17 AM

Careful with the way you phrase the question ... you might tick off the French if you don't say &quot;Paris or London&quot; instead ;)<BR><BR>Unless you're going for a very short time, why not do both? They're only 3 hours apart via the Eurostar. For museums, I'd go with Paris. For plays definitely London. Fine dining is a draw - you can eat well in London as long as you don't eat British food. Never had a bad meal in Paris.

Dana Jan 23rd, 2003 11:18 AM

In my personal opinion, London and Paris are only comparable in the fact that they are both large cities and the capitols of their country. Of the things that you listed, both cities will make you happy. However, on the play front, you might be happier in London because of the language barrier, however, Paris has some wonderful concerts at many of the cathedrals. Honestly, I think you need to think about which one you've always wanted to visit, neither is better than the other, both are fabulous cities. <BR><BR>All that said, depending on the length of your vacation, consider going to both cities. With the Eurostar, you can easily depart one city center and arrive in the other city center in relatively no time at all.

Ben Haines Jan 23rd, 2003 11:22 AM

Unless you have excellent French the plays of Paris are god, but of no use to you, and London is better.<BR>There is fine dining in London, but what costs 40 dollars in Paris costs 80 in London, and Paris fine dining is better.<BR>Overall, the museums are of similar quality, but I find it easier to read labels fast in English than in French, so London is better.<BR>So in your fields I see the score as London 2, Paris 1, and your best plan will be to visit London, eat moderately for most meals, but have gourmet meals from time to time. If you had shown a field for style and elegance Paris would have won, and the score would have been 2 to 2.<BR><BR>Welcome to Europe<BR><BR>Ben Haines<BR>

paris Jan 23rd, 2003 12:46 PM

Paris, no contest. You did mention good food, didn't you ;-)

Mike Jan 23rd, 2003 12:57 PM

Hi, I just returned from one week in each city with my wife and two children. There was plenty to do and see in each city and we enjoyed both places. I allow the children (12 and 10) to shop each day for awhile and this pleases them while focusing each day on one museum, castle, chateau,etc.<BR>The prices in London for food, taxi's, etc. is 50-60% more money and the quality of the food is much less. When we traveled via the chunnel to London and were struck by the change in prices we could not help but compare and it influenced our enjoyment of the city. <BR>The crowds on Oxford St and Regent St were in my opinion large so how can there be such high demand and high prices?

Patrick Jan 23rd, 2003 01:06 PM

I love Paris, but really do theatre in London, usually doing two a day most days I'm there -- up to 15 to 20 shows in two weeks.<BR>I've always said if they could move London's West End (theatre district) to Paris -- it would really be the greatest city in the world!!!

Dan Jan 23rd, 2003 01:10 PM

I would opt for Paris for the same reason that Chuck chooses London. Viva la difference. The fact that the language, culture and history is so different, and &quot;foreign&quot; to us, makes it all the more interesting. While you will probably have to forego theatre, unless you speak French or would consider the Moulin Rouge or Lido cabaret/Las Vegas type shows, the museums are extraordinary. Do not miss the Louvre, Museum D'Orsay and Picasso Museum.

Patrick Jan 23rd, 2003 01:19 PM

And now that I'm thinking about it, why must you choose? How long do you have? If these are your main two options, check out flying into one and home from the other and taking the Eurostar between them. If you only have 10 days total, 5 in each city is a great option!!!!

xx Jan 23rd, 2003 01:23 PM

The English like us, the French do not.

xxx Jan 23rd, 2003 01:42 PM

The French, for the most part, like Americans; they just don't like American Foreign policy. There's a big difference.

johnbull Jan 23rd, 2003 01:44 PM

<BR><BR>I wouldn't be so sure !<BR>

le tour eiffel Jan 23rd, 2003 02:10 PM

For fine dining &amp; museums - Paris. For plays - London. Overall I would say Paris simply because it is more different to where I'm from than London is - plus more beautiful I think .

LauraLamb Jan 23rd, 2003 02:29 PM

If you choose Paris, do visit the new Musee de la Collaboration Francaise which I believe is due to open towards the end of April.

xxx Jan 23rd, 2003 02:46 PM

Speak for yourself xx when you say the French do not like you. I happen to be an American and either all the French people I've run into liked me or else they were incredibly good actors.

Bob Jan 23rd, 2003 04:07 PM

Hey, let's be specific here -<BR><BR>The French do like Americans. The French (those who live in France outside of Paris) don't like Parisians and the Parisians don't particularly love Americans. <BR><BR>That said, outside of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. and that 5-sided building across the Potomac, most Americans don't particularly care for American foreign policy right now either.

XXX Jan 23rd, 2003 04:16 PM

I have lived in London and visited Paris several times. I agree with some of the others who suggest you do both. London definitely is more expensive than Paris. If you like big cities you'll enjoy both. (I have never run into any anti-American attitudes in Paris. Learn a few words of French and keep in mind that Parisians are more formal than Americans and you'll have a great time. Also, I would look into the discount flights from London to Pair before taking the train.)