Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Which is best 22" carry on? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/which-is-best-22-carry-on-136762/)

David Jul 6th, 2001 10:32 AM

Which is best 22" carry on?

Question for the travel experts here: which do you think is the better 22" carry on? I am considering the Travelpro "Flightpro" and the Travelpro "Walk About 2". I don't see major differences between the two, which of these two do you think is better? <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance for your always good advice. <BR> <BR>David

carol Jul 6th, 2001 10:58 AM

I have the travelpro Crew 2 or 3 -- great for carry-on, sturdy and holds a ton of stuff.

Carol Jul 6th, 2001 12:11 PM

Hi David: <BR> <BR>We bought a 22" Travelpro for our recent trip to Europe (don't know which model). <BR> <BR>Unfortunately, we found out too late (when in Europe) that if you pack the suitcase pretty full, it becomes "forward-heavy" and topples over. <BR> <BR>Since this suitcase was built with an expandable compartment, it shouldn't have done this. <BR> <BR>We ended up taking it back when we got home (bought it at Macys) and they were very accommodating. <BR> <BR>It was on sale - maybe this was why. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps- <BR>Carol

zzzz Jul 6th, 2001 02:21 PM

Are expandable carry ons permitted on Delta and Airfrance flights?? I always check my luggage but in my next trip to Europe in august I'd like to only bring my carry on. Thanks.

PatD Jul 6th, 2001 05:15 PM

We have been traveling with the Rick Steves Rucksaws (backpack suitcases) for years. He just came out with a rollabourd version and we took it on our last trip. It held much more than the same size rollaboard I had, is lighter in weight, and well balanced - no tipping. It's only drawback is that it has no built in strap to attach other bags, but it does have an extra long handle so you can stack. I have examined every suitcase on the market, and own half of them - this became my instant favorite.

Joy Jul 6th, 2001 05:26 PM

We have brought our TravelPro "Walk Abouts" to 4 consecutive roundtrips to Europe with probably 3 connections each way and they are still as sturdy and nearly scratch-free as when we bought them. I am crossing my fingers that it will last 4 or more trips more!!!

Lauren Jul 6th, 2001 06:47 PM

I swear by Eagle Creek luggage. <BR> <BR>My daughter took my Eagle Creek to France to spend her summer as an au pair in Normandy. So, I just bought some more to replace it. <BR> <BR>Sometimes you can get good buys on discontinued colors or styles. The luggage can be found on eaglecreek.com. You might also want to check ebags.com, which occasionally has good buys on bags.

Debbie Jul 6th, 2001 07:47 PM

I would strongly suggest you rethink the 22" size and go into the 20" size for carryon. The 22" is too big to go under the seat and on alot of airplanes(the 757 and MD80 come to mind)there is never enough room for everyone to bring their rollaboards.You end up checking quite a few of them and everyone is very unhappy!

Gerry Jul 6th, 2001 07:59 PM

You should also be aware of weight limits on carry-ons for your airline. Many airlines impose stict weight limits on international flights. Lufthansa for example limited us to 18 pounds for the carry on. My bag(Riccardo) weighs 6 pounds empty! Other airlines have simular restrictions unlike what we are used to on US domestic flights.

Louise Jul 6th, 2001 09:02 PM

I second the Eagle Creek idea. Whatever you decide on, check the weight. While being sturdy, Eagle Creek is also lightweight. <BR> <BR>I like the expandable idea because you can buy along the way, pack them, and then check your luggage through on the return trip.

Sarah Jul 6th, 2001 10:14 PM

I love my Travelpro luggage. In the past few years, it's made several flights without a hint of wear. It's been across China, Europe and Canada as well as many U.S. destinations and no problem. I'd buy it again in a minute!

Yvonne Jul 7th, 2001 06:57 PM

I have two Travelpro Walk Abouts. The first one was so durable that I bought a second one after my Atlantic literally fell apart in Seattle. I just put my son's item in my TP when we headed home. I'd pick the one with the higher fiber count, for increased durability. When I bought my second from worldtraveller.com I got a free tote.

Nancy Jul 7th, 2001 08:53 PM

Ditto for Eagle Creek luggage. I have a few pieces of their luggage and love it. Very light weight and expandable. I purchased discontinued colors from Travel 200 stores and also have come across an occasional piece at Marshall's. I live in Ct., so I don't know if these stores are just in New England or thru out the US. Can't go wrong!!

aimee Jul 8th, 2001 05:52 AM

I just purchased Travelpro "Crew 4" after lots of research. I think "Crew 4" is newest Travelpro and is supposed to be fantastic. Travelpro has a website: www.travelpro.com <BR>

Barbara Jul 8th, 2001 10:07 AM

We have taken our Eagle Creek on two trips to Europe. I have the 22 inch with zip off day pack which I use as a carryon. My husband has the 22 inch expandable which he refuses to expand. We do always check our luggage but could take on if necessary.The wheels are great except on cobblestones. Don't think they make any that will take care of those

lisa Jul 9th, 2001 12:33 PM

Another vote for the Eagle Creek wheeled bag that converts to a backpack, with detachable daypack. Best bag I've ever owned. The wheels roll easily, the dimensions are excellent, it's lightweight, very versatile, and holds a lot for the size. The only drawback is the price, but still, it was worth every penny.

Marilyn Ham Jul 9th, 2001 01:32 PM

I have the 22" Eaglecreek with zipoff pack--it's the Switchback Plus (I think). The last trip to Italy I took it and ended up also hauling another backpack on top, so the inline skate wheels did double duty. It not only survived 2 weeks like this over cobblestones, but came home looking like new--I'm now a believer. Sometimes the Eaglecreek is on sale at www.sierratradingpost.com. I think they also have some Travelpro and Dakota luggage. Marilyn

David Jul 9th, 2001 09:42 PM

All, thank you for your suggestions. Lot's of good ideas here. <BR> <BR>After reading your comments and researching online, we decided to purchase two Travelpro 22" Expandable Rollaboard Suiters -- and got matching Deluxe Tote luggage. <BR> <BR>FYI, best deal we saw was at luggageonline.com for $99 each (list $300!) for the 22" carry on luggage. <BR> <BR>We got a Deluxe Tote free as a promotional item and purchased a second Tote for $40 (list $120!). :) <BR> <BR>So far, they have been easy to do business with in terms of ordering, and have answered my email questions promptly (more than I can say for quite a few companies, lol). <BR> <BR>We'll see how they are when we receive them, but based on what you all say about Travelpro, I'm confident these will work out well for us. <BR> <BR>Thanks again, and best wishes, <BR> <BR>David

PAt Jul 11th, 2001 05:59 PM

David, <BR>Take along a packable empty duffle bag to slip into your suitcase. You can fill it up with dirty clothes, and use your wheeled suitcases for delicate or heavier things you collect along your trip. You can check your dirty clothes for the trip home, and carry aboard your treasures! We always return home with one more suitcase than we left with.

Babela Jul 11th, 2001 07:27 PM

Lots of good info in your post, David. I just checked out the luggage on line site and the price of the 22" expandable roll aboard suiter. Is this the same one you got for $99? No promos evident, either. What gives?