Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Which hotel would you choose in Paris? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/which-hotel-would-you-choose-in-paris-309974/)

dac Feb 23rd, 2008 08:48 AM

Which hotel would you choose in Paris?

We will be in Paris Oct.1 - 3 nights and I'm trying to choose a hotel.
They are totally different in location and price. That being said if money is not a factor would you stay at Lutece (on Ile St. Louis - we stayed there about 20 years ago) or Hotel D'Aubusson (which I've read great things about here and on TripAdvisor - I would be choosing their Romance package)
Last time we were in Paris we stayed off of the Champs Elysee closer to the Arc de Triomphe.The area for us was not as appealing as the Ile St. Louis location. I've never stayed on the Left Bank. but like the idea of restaurants and shops near the hotel.
Please give me your thoughts. Thank you so much for all of your help.

kerouac Feb 23rd, 2008 08:52 AM

Ew!

kerouac Feb 23rd, 2008 08:53 AM

(People say that all the time here. I figured it was my turn.)

Bloom Feb 23rd, 2008 09:09 AM

Both my mother and I were happy with our individual stays at the Hotel des Grandes Ecoles on the Left Bank. I think it's on (or near) Rue St. Germain, a good location in the Quartier Latin.

Bloom

dac Feb 23rd, 2008 09:48 AM

I'm sorry but I don't understand your response. I did not mean to ask a question.

dac Feb 23rd, 2008 10:08 AM

I'm sorry but I don't understand your response. I didn't mean to ask a stupid question, just trying to justify spending more money and if people think it would be worth it.

aljames Feb 23rd, 2008 10:14 AM

I just had a nice stay at the Kube Hotel in Paris: http://www.worldreviewer.com/experie...e-hotel/14034/

francophile03 Feb 23rd, 2008 10:21 AM

I have read good comments about the Aubusson and it is in a nicer area-St. Germain-than the Champs Elysees. As for that rude comment, please ignore it. Some people are very rude here.

Bloom Feb 23rd, 2008 10:35 AM

I mistakenly answered the question in the title of your post...

(<i>Which hotel would you choose in Paris?</i>)

...thinking that your comment <i>&quot;I've never stayed on the Left Bank. but like the idea of restaurants and shops near the hotel. Please give me your thoughts,&quot;</i>

meant that the two hotel choices you listed weren't necessarily etched in stone.

Milles pardons.

Bloom

Travelnut Feb 23rd, 2008 10:37 AM

I don't think the Lutece and the d'Aubusson are the same class of hotel. I haven't stayed at either, so it might help you to type &quot;Aubusson&quot; and &quot;Lutece&quot; into the forum search to unearth any past remarks.

Also, if you haven't already done so, there will be plenty of reviews on Tripadvisor.com

Weadles Feb 23rd, 2008 10:49 AM

We loved our stay in a Grande Luxe apt at the Hotel D'Aubusson in July. The room was lovely with every possible amenity, and large for Paris. Staff was very helpful, and the location was excellent for walking to: Latin Quarter (literally five minutes from the hotel), Notre Dame ( about 15 min), Le Louvre ( also about 15 min), Musee D'Orsay ( about 20 min).

The neighborhood itself is one of our favorites in Paris. We used to stay around the corner at Relais Christine, but the rooms varied widely in quality and price. That's why we switched over for this visit to Hotel D'Aubusson, and we would go back again in a heartbeat!

Weadles Feb 23rd, 2008 10:50 AM

I forgot to add that there's some wonderful shopping in the neighborhood, both on rue daphine, and esp. along rue andre des artes, which is about two blocks down (toward St. Germaine) from the hotel.

kerouac Feb 23rd, 2008 10:57 AM

I'm just wondering if there is any location in Paris where there are hotels without restaurants and shops nearby.

Even in my seedy neighborhood, there is absolutely no lack of hotels, restaurants, or shops.

However, I would have to confess that Ile Saint Louis is a location where none of the shops or restaurants appeal to me personally.

francophile03 Feb 23rd, 2008 12:29 PM

dac, I agree the Lutece and d'Aubusson are two different type of hotels. But I liked staying at the Lutece and found the street that the hotel's located on to be appealing. We really liked Le Tastevin restaurant and the boulangerie. The hotel has remodeled their rooms, but it's still very understaed compared with the d'Aubusson.

kenderina Feb 23rd, 2008 12:32 PM

May I ask which is your seedy neighbourhood , kerouac ? :)

Travelnut Feb 23rd, 2008 01:56 PM

Kerouac lives in northern 'Montmartre' area, based on previous postings.

kenderina Feb 23rd, 2008 02:11 PM

Oh, well..if she says it's seedy I suppose we should believe her but I've never thought about that for what I've read..I haven't been in Paris, though.

zooey91 Feb 23rd, 2008 02:35 PM

I've really enjoyed staying on Ile St. Louis the last couple of trips (we stayed at the Lutec's sister hotel, Deux-Iles). Except for the weekend it's a quiet location, but very short walk to both the left bank and the marais, among other areas.

We got coffee and croissants every morning at a local bar, pastries at a couple of the local patisseries, but I have to admit most shops or meals we went to were off the island.

But we love the central location and quiet charm.

That said, my response to most visitors' neighborhood preferences in San Francisco is &quot;Ew&quot; as well.

Kerouac, what neighborhood that a tourist wouldn't normally think of staying in would you recommend?

francophile03 Feb 23rd, 2008 05:13 PM

Yes. Inquiring tourists want to know. Please do tell which seedy neighborhood is yours. TY

zooey91 Feb 23rd, 2008 07:17 PM

I don't care if it's seedy or not, kerouac. I'm just asking because, as I said, I'm horrified when people come to San Francisco and stay in, say, Fisherman's Wharf. There are several great neighborhoods in San Francisco that most tourists never discover.

So I'm curious what the Paris equivalent would be.