Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which hotel to stay at for first visit to London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are visiting London in May and we're trying to decide on which hotel to stay at. We tried priceline for a 5* hotel up to $230 with no luck. My husband gets a corporate rate at these 4* hotels Millenium Hotel (best rate), Thistle Charing Cross and Royal Horseguards. We are looking for a nice hotel in a location near restaurants/pubs/shops, etc. Any suggestions?
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 01:00 PM

i booked the millenium in kens for $85/night in late may. i know you can get mayfair/soho 4* for ~$110. go to biddingfortravel.com for priceline help.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 01:23 PM

many of the name brand hotels can be nice enough but in my opinion you will never get the level of a 4 or 5 star that yu find in elsewhere.

Most Millenium Hotels are fairly decent. I stayed in the one in Mayfair and although it was nice it also showed some signs of age.

As far as area it sound like you may like to stay around the Mayfair or Picccadilly Circus area. This gives you great acceseibility to walking, Oxford Street shopping, restaurants and transportation.

The Thistle Charing Cross is also in a good location.

You may also want to try the Hilton in Mayfair as well as the Sheraton. Near Piccadilly the Le Meridien can also be a good choice and you can get rates from their websight. On Oxfore Street there is also the conveniently located Thistle Marble Arch.

Last time I was in London (in November), they had just re-opened the old Cumberland Hotel in Oxford Street and it was WAY COOL!

http://www.guoman.com/guoman/hotels

Its pretty modern, sort of in an Ian Schrager style.

Another option I can offer is the Radisson Edwardian chain. (radisson.com) These aren't your normal Radisson hotels and have a bit of style and design. I recommend the Hampshire at Leicester Sq, Radisson Edwardian Sussex Hotel on Granville Place (sort of behind Selfridges), Edwardian May Fair Hotel on Stratton St and the Portman on Portman Sq, off Oxford Street. Those are all decent locations, there are a bunch of others but not a nicely situated.

For someplace a bit more personal, what about the Number 16 hotel? Take a look at the websight, it also has a few other small places with character...

http://www.firmdalehotels.com/

I hope that helps, let me know if you have any questions.

Check out my websight for more London Info (and Paris too!)

http://richardab.typepad.com/iheartp...don/index.html

Old Mar 18th, 2005, 02:10 PM

The location of Royal Horseguards is terrific. Read reviews

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...n_England.html

If he can get a corporate rate at the Landmark, it's terrific. People also like the Renaissance Chancery Court.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 02:21 PM

Try Londontown.com, too. Sometimes they offer very good deals.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 02:34 PM

We have stayed in Kensington at the Copthorne Tara, what I consider to be like an American 3* hotel. this week we tried Priceline for the Mayfair-Soho district (near covent garden, theater district and picadilly circus)

We got a 4* accomodation for mid April at the Waldorf Hilton for $115 US per night plus tax.

I think you would do well in Soho, Westminster, or Kensington as far as locations are concerned.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

I have bid up to $115 on Priceline for a 4* in the same area with no luck or even a counter offer. The best rate I've found in the Mayfair/Soho area for a 4* is close to $300/nt. I wonder if there's some kind of event going on that week. I'll check out some of the other hotel recommendations. Thanks!
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 04:29 PM

What type of credit card are you using on Priceline? How long a stay do you have, and when? Have you gotten a single counteroffer? Some people have reported "blacklisted" credit cards, or other problems, so I would wonder about that.

I've been bidding for Priceline lately, with amounts I know are likely to be too low, and I've gotten separate counteroffers in the Bloomsbury and Kensington and Westminster zones. So I know if I up my bid a little bit, I will win a hotel. I haven't done that yet and will probably wait a little longer while considering all options.

I've also used Priceline successfully on many occasions, including several times for London.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 04:46 PM

how fussy are you? would you consider a decent 3 star in Kensington? I have stayed at the kensington Close many times in a pinch. they usually offer a great value for the money. The rooms are clean, have a bit of style and are semi modern. The KC is near the High Street tube station plus very accessible to shopping and restaurants on High street.

Check out my review on my site and their websight.

http://richardab.typepad.com/iheartp...eep/index.html

and their site

http://www.kensingtonclosehotel.com/

Old Mar 18th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

I'd have to say I'm pretty fussy and my husband is even fussier. He's not going to go for a 3* in London no matter how nice the pictures look. To answer WillTravels question I used a BOA Visa. I saw someone else on Biddingfortravel.com who bid for the same dates and location a few days ago and got a counter of $151. I tried today with no counter. I think our best bet now is the Millenium Hotel Mayfair for $230/nt.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 04:58 PM

Whatever star (**) rating Priceline gives, I would rate it either a half or whole star downwards, and bid accordingly. Most internet booking services also overrate their properties, too.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

We'll be in London for 2 nights from May 23-25.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

That's what I've heard and so I'm not looking at anything under 4*. I'm also reading reviews on Tripadvisor.com and not considering anything less than the 4 out of 5 rating.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 07:34 PM

I believe you will be successful on Priceline closer to check in. All three of your suggestions are Priceline hotels. I would try going up to $140 now on Priceline if you want to be squared away at this time. Otherwise I belive you may get something at a lower price closer to check in. Mayfair is my favorite zone.

I am bidding up to $220 for the end of may -june also. I have a back up reservation at the Chesterfield Mayfair for a total of $250/nt. The hotel gets great reviews on Trip Advisor. But I do hope to get a 5* on Priceline and will continue bidding.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 03:45 AM

The Millenium Mayfair is NOT woth $230 a night. Its nice but not exactly new. Drop me an email and I will send u a few pics.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

I'll probably try Priceline a few more times. I'm just concerned that I'll get a hotel with horrible reviews.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

I wouldn't mind paying $250 for the Chesterfield Mayfair but the lowest rate I found at that hotel for the dates we're going is $345/nt not incluidng VAT!
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 01:47 PM

Did you try rates at the Radisson portman or Le Meridien Piccadilly?
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 02:04 PM

Also what about the Hilton London Mews which has specials and rates around 122-160 GBP a night. Its in a very quiet neighborhood in Mayfair.

Also the Radisson Edwardian Hotels have great designs and rates in your range. The Sussex (Mayfair/Osford St area) can have rates around 119 GBP and up, The Grafton (near Madame Tussards) from 104 GBP.

Londontown.com is also a great resource. I samples some dates in may and found The Grafton, Hilton Mews, The Selfridge (119 GBP), The Sussex, Thistle Charing Cross all at great rates.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

I would love to stay at the Meridien Piccadilly but the rate there is $424/nt not including VAT. I can get the Charing Cross for $279/nt through my husband's company otherwise the lowest rate on the internet is $362. The hotel rates are outrageous for the 2 days we'll be in London (May 23-25). The other hotels mentioned have bad reviews on tripadvisor...

I think my options are to go with Millenium Hotel Mayfair ($229), Thistle Charing Cross ($279), or Royal Horseguards ($287). Normally we wouldn't pay this much unless it was for a Four Seasons or Ritz but it looks like these are the best rates we'll get for a 4* for our dates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -