Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Which hotel in St Germain area, Paris? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/which-hotel-in-st-germain-area-paris-921047/)

Okie Jan 23rd, 2012 07:47 PM

Which hotel in St Germain area, Paris?

My husband and I will be in Paris for a long weekend in February. We want to stay in a quaint yet trendy area with shops/restaurants/Parisian ambiance. I am considering the following hotels in the St Germain of Paris:

Millesime Hotel
Hotel di Buci
Villa St Germain
Hotel de Seine
Artus

I also was looking at the Relais-Hôtel du Vieux Paris (9 rue Gît-le-Cœur) but am concerned it is too far away from the action.

Can you please provide some feedback / thoughts on which one to choose? Also, will we be able to get to the train for CDG easily from this area?

Thanks!!

Guenmai Jan 23rd, 2012 10:25 PM

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ank-thread.cfm

All of the above hotels, except I think the Villa St.Germain and the Relais-Hotel du Vieux are discussed in my above hotel thread. If you jump to the bottom of the thread and then scroll up to Dec 31,2010, I've listed all hotels discussed by district. So, just go to the 6th.

As for the Hotel de Seine, I stayed there for 9 years, before the renovation. And after the renovation, I was given a walk through as the (late) manager was a good friend of mine. That was my home away from home for many years until I moved a block down the street to the Welcome Hotel for about 10 years, as the Hotel de Seine became out of my desired budget. The location is great though. I now rent an apartment in the building next door to it. I've stayed on that street since 1981.

As for Hotel de Seine, my regular room was #52 which faces the courtyard and I found it to be quiet.

Hotel de Buci is about a 3-minute walk around the corner from Hotel de Seine. I never stayed at the hotel though. The Hotel Artus is almost next door to the Hotel de Buci. The Artus has gotten high ratings, but at times, due to the location there can be street noise.

The Millesime is on rue Jacob, around the corner from the Hotel de Seine as the Hotel de Seine is at #52, rue de Seine at the corner of rue Jacob.

As for Villa St.Germain, I think that's the one further out rue Jacob, at rue Bonaparte, and has the jazz club. If it is, although I haven't stayed there, I have been to the jazz club. It's a nice hotel although expensive.

As for me, I'd go for the quaint, Hotel de Seine and would ask for a room facing the courtyard. Happy Travels!

Guenmai Jan 23rd, 2012 10:26 PM

I forgot to add, as for taking the RER to CDG, it's easy from that area. Happy Travels!

avalon Jan 23rd, 2012 10:58 PM

Have stayed seral times at the Millesime and really enjoyed it.Our room was large and the breakfast very good. The Location is perfect. I'm sure it is a bit quieter than rue de Seine. There are several other hotels along rue aaaaJacob, the des Marroniers, D'angleterre, Danube, Deux Continents I have stayed at all of them more than once, and have no problems recommended any of them

Friendship_Bay Jan 23rd, 2012 11:03 PM

Another possibility in the neighbourhood is the Hotel des SaintesnPeres on (wait for it) Rue des Saontes Peres. It is part of the Mansart group, a couple of buildings linked together around a courtyard, so no room is the same, but we have never had a bad one in half a dozen visits.

Friendship_Bay Jan 23rd, 2012 11:04 PM

Typos...I am sure they are obvious.

mamcalice Jan 24th, 2012 04:54 AM

I second the Hotel des Saintes Peres. It is centrally located, on a quiet street but near bustling St. Germaine. The staff is welcoming, the rooms comfortable and, for the most part, spacious. We have settled on this hotel after visiting several others in the 6th including the Millesme.

Christina Jan 24th, 2012 06:17 AM

I haven't stayed at any of those so can't comment on their respective qualities.

However, I really don't understand your comment on the H Relais de Vieux Paris on Git le Coeur, that you think it is too far from the action? What does that mean, what action are you referring to, not only is it not that far from all the others, it is technically more central than any of them (literally as the center of Paris is Notre Dame).

If you want to be near Cafe Deux Magots, etc, then I guess you are right that it is farther. I would think those on rue de Buci would be very noisy myself, but I guess you never know (may depend on position of room).

The fact is that is the only one in your list that I believe is close to the RER to the airport, which you said you want. Saying it is easy from the others dosn't explain how you will get to the RER from, say, the Villa St Germain or the H de Seine. It isn't that easy IMO, as it is either a very long walk or involves a walk of several blocks to a metro stop and then a transfer to the RER.

denisea Jan 24th, 2012 12:24 PM

I prefer the area around the Odeon metro stop. Lots of cafes in the area and we really love it.

Take a look at:

Hotel Louis II
Odeon Hotel
Relais St Germain
Odeon St Germain
Hotel Espirit St Germain

We stayed at Hotel Louis II last year and loved the location. Small rooms (not a surprise or a disappointment), nice staff. The others in the area and are as nice or nicer.

You can check my T/R "Christmas in Paris was Fantastic" for links to the photos from the area and to see all the restaurants/cafes in the area. The Odeon stop is right around the corner and is also served by several bus lines.

Guenmai Jan 24th, 2012 03:56 PM

I didn't have a noise problem staying in the block of rue de Seine where Hotel de Seine is. And I still don't have a noise problem with it staying in the apartment building next to the hotel.

As for the RER, I took it for many years, to CDG, while staying at the Hotel de Seine and the Welcome Hotel, and it's about a 5-minute walk to the metro station and then a short way to the St.Michel station where the RER comes in and one switches over to it. As long as the luggage is light, it should be fine. Happy Travels!

Okie Jan 26th, 2012 10:29 AM

Thank you all for your replies. You have given me great information for finalizing my reservations!

Michel_Paris Jan 26th, 2012 10:38 AM

While not quaint, Hotel Notre Dame (Quai St Michel )is across street from RER St Michel station, and some rooms overlook Seine and Notre Dame