Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which hotel in Rome- St George, Sofitel, Spendide Royal

Sep 23rd, 2007, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

I have narrowed it down to the following hotels in Rome and looking for help deciding. They're a bit pricy, have gotten pretty good reviews. Originally was looking for a balcony or nice view, but difficult to get everything..So do any of these stand out?
St George 290Euro Via Giulia
Sofitel 298Euro(non refundablerate ) Via Lombardia
Splendide Royal 310Eur Via di Porta Pinciana

Thanks
Sep 23rd, 2007, 05:07 PM

I don't know anything about any of those hotels, but I think the St. George would definitely be the best location. Nearest the center, lots of restaurants not too far, good bus connections fairly close.
Sep 23rd, 2007, 05:55 PM

I also don't know these hotels. I'm wondering how you "narrowed it down" to these three? Not using this board, I might guess? Are these choices based on late booking, or some kind of points? Because if not, I would say maybe start again, using the search function here for Rome hotels.

I agree with SusanP on the locations issue. I will go farther and say I wouldn't stay at either of the other locations. Especially not at those prices.

Sep 23rd, 2007, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank Susan, wasn't sure what was surrounding these places, good to know there are enough restaurants and such by St George.
Tuscan, no, I have used this board a great deal and found some wonderful places for other parts of our trip. Since Rome is at the end of the trip I don't mind splurging a bit to have someplace really nice.
To narrow it down, I have read reviews on Trip Advisor, Venere, and other sites that have a guest review section. I feel like I have looked at every hotel in Rome!! So based on the pictures and reviews, these are ones I am drawn to for one reason or another. I realize the areas of Sofitel and Spendide might not be central, but hoped I might get some feedback from those on this board who have actually stayed there, and think they're worth it given not an ideal location. They both look beautiful, hard to pass them up.
I did do a search on the board, but without much result.
Again, thanks for the help and any other suggestions appreciated
Sep 24th, 2007, 03:48 PM

Have you checked out the Albergo del Senato? Right by the Pantheon, fabulous location. I haven't stayed there, but do a search here and you'll see many rave reviews.
Sep 24th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Susan, funny you should mention the Senato. I have just sent them an email to check availability. They gave me a standard room rate of 225E for November. Yes, I know it is highly praised on this board, but seems mainly for location and staff. I noticed a few reviews on Trip Advisor didn't think the hotel itself deserved such high marks. Of course the majority were good.

Sep 24th, 2007, 07:41 PM

dosu

I don't know about availability but the superior suites, which I hear are nice, at the Portoghesi go for about 250 euro.

I was guessing these hotels weren't culled from Fodors because I haven't heard them discussed here.

I'm glad that those you've chosen have good reviews. I wouldn't depend on pictures much, if it were me.

I still reconsidering hotels limited to the centro storico is a good idea, especially since you have the budget.

Since you don't mind not being in the dead center, what about the Capo d'Africa? People really seem to like it.

I hear nice things about the Inghilterra:
http://hoteldinghilterra.warwickhotels.com/

Sep 24th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

Tuscan, thanks so much. Capo d'Africa is a bit far as well. I liked Hotel Gladiatori very much, but that too was over by the Colloseum.
I liked Portoghesi until i read a review about flea bites.. granted it was in 2006, though it made me think of bed bugs, and made me pass on it... too bad, the Jr suite looks nice.
Hotel D'Inghilterra looks great. Though based on the TA reviews it must depend on the room you get. But definately the type of place I'm looking for. I will give it a bit more research.
Thanks SO much for your help!
D
Sep 24th, 2007, 09:21 PM

What section of Rome are the three you are interested in as I have never seen them in my travels there?
Sep 24th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Original Poster

St George is sort of south west of Piazza Navona. The others are on the other side of Villa Borghese..http://www.expedia.com/pub/agent.dll...l-location-map
Sep 25th, 2007, 07:36 AM

I visited Sofitel last trip to Rome and am booked there for my visit next month. Quiet location, lovely hotel and I am a runner so having the Borghese Gardens right there is another big plus.

Rooms are large and well apppointed in comparison to other properties I have stayed in, especially at the price point I booked.

The Del Senato wanted 80E more per night and the rooms are much smaller.

Sep 26th, 2007, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Kfusto, thanks so much for the info. The least expensive rate I could find at the Sofitel was a non-refundable rate of 298euro for a standard room. Did you book the standard room as well? and the rooms were a good size?May I ask the rate you are paying.
Though del Senato has an great location, it does not appear to be in the same catagory as the Sofitel, though I've never been there and I could be wrong.
There was just a cancellation at Il Palazzetto, it had been booked. It's a 4 room place, separate from, but run by and gives use of the amenities of the Hassler hotel. Priced the same as the Sofitel. The location is right by the Spanish Steps and might be a bit more convenient. I gather you did not find the Sofitel inconvenient?
Sep 26th, 2007, 09:06 AM

I am paying 250E per night for a standard roo, and booked 10 months ahead on a prepaid rate direct with the hotel.

Since hubby and I are both Sofitel Privilege Card Holders, we may get lucky with an upgrade at check in. Others perks are late check out and early check in, both which can be very handy.

I find Rome to be very easy to get around it and the least convenient hotel yet for me was the Capo D'Africa. Nice hotel but I felt that it was a bit more of a hassle to get around from there and less to offer in the area itself. However, we paid 145 USD per night thru Travelocity Good Buy rate and a better bargain I have never found in Rome. So, convenience is relative, IMO.

I tend to prefer to stay a bit out of n the center whenever I travel to a major tourist area. I prefer some peace and quiet and generally find those areas to be a better value overall, with the perk of more local eateries close by.

I will tell you that the Concierge and Front Desk staff at Sofitel has been far more responsive and gracious than at any other hotel (except the Minerve) and is prompt with answering and most helpful in making arrangements.

I would say that what makes the Senato special is the location more than anything and the views from some of the rooms. However, they have priced themselves out of my comfort zone and it is simply - IMO - not worth it except in the dead of winter when the rates are still good.

I think the Via Veneto/Borghese area is very nice and not so overrun with tourists so I am fine with staying there.

Our room at the Senato was really small as was the breakfast room and lobby area. There is nothing wrong with that but I am looking forward to a rooftop terrace, more active lobby bar and larger rooms and bathrooms. If it was for one or two nights, I might choose differently (the Cesari perhaps) but for 3 or more I want the best room and service my money can buy in an area that is still central.

Sep 26th, 2007, 11:08 AM

We stayed at the Sofitel last Sept & loved it. We walked everywhere from there But is was quiet at night, which we liked. First night we were out the door & to the Trevi Fountain in no time. I had no prior knowledge of Rome so I was very pleased with our decision, mostly relied on TripAdvisor. Enjoy!