Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Which Hotel in Rome (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/which-hotel-in-rome-1474461/)

DarcieM Sep 19th, 2017 11:21 AM

Which Hotel in Rome

Hotel Manfredi (Spanish sreps) or Albergo del Senato (Pantheon)?

Weadles Sep 19th, 2017 12:20 PM

I'm partial to Albergo del Senato, having stayed there half a dozen times, but I do think it has a much more central location ( historic center) for exploring Rome.

Pepper_von_snoot Sep 19th, 2017 01:00 PM

I love the Via Margutta! A beautiful street! So nice to walk up the steps behind Santa Maria del Popolo to the Pincio and the Villa Borghese.

Albergo del Senato is also in a great location adjacent to the Pantheon.

Thin

HappyTrvlr Sep 19th, 2017 02:29 PM

I much prefer the area near the Pantheon to the Spanish Steps with it's crowds.

Jean Sep 19th, 2017 04:42 PM

Another vote for Via Margutta where you definitely won't see crowds. The street is tiny, doesn't really go anywhere and has only a couple of shops that wouldn't interest the average tourist. You definitely wouldn't have to worry about exterior noise keeping you awake. The street is an oasis in the big city.

But having said that, the del Senato gets a slightly higher overall review score on booking.com, and reviews of the Manfredi almost universally mention small rooms, small bathrooms/showers. I suggest you read the reviews of both hotels and decide based on what you want in terms of room, atmosphere/location and rate.

ducinaltum Sep 19th, 2017 04:50 PM

I couldn't tell you about either hotel but in terms of neighborhood I *love* the Pantheon area and have stayed in the vicinity many times! It's so centrally-located and easy to get oneself to any part of the city easily, depending on your preference. There are two cab stops within a 2-3 minute walk from the Albergo del Senato, buses are nearby and of course you can walk to quite a number of major sites are within 10-15 minutes. Plus you get to walk past the majestic Pantheon at least a couple times a day. :)

I would say though that wherever you stay, bring some ear plugs. Crowds gather in both of these places and until 9 or 10pm at night there's a ridiculously annoying guy playing pop music (with an occasional classic) either playing a keyboard or a guitar connected to an amp right outside the Pantheon.

I can never understand the appeal of listening to a poor rendition of 'My Heart Will Go On' next to one of the most impressive ancient architectural sites in the world, but I've seen crowds of 50+ people gathered around him, blocking the piazza. I would recommend ear plugs for most of Rome, so I hope this doesn't deter you from staying there, it's just a good general tip given the nighttime crowds in a major city!

Pepper_von_snoot Sep 19th, 2017 06:18 PM

I will be in Rome in 4 weeks, but staying in the Via San Domenico (Aventine).

I have never seen crowds in the Via Margutta. It is a very quiet street.

Another benefit of staying in the Via Margutta is that you can take the Metro at Spagna (Red Line A) to the Vatican-Ottaviano.

Thin

tuscanlifeedit Sep 19th, 2017 06:33 PM

I find the area around the Pantheon to be too crowded for me most of the time.

The Via Margutta is a lovely street.

We've stayed within the Tridente a few times and enjoyed it.