Which hotel in London-Help!

Nov 9th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Which hotel in London-Help!

My husband and i are going to London in Dec. We are debating between different hotels but not sure which to stay at. All seem nice albeit pricey which we expected. What it comes down to now (i think) is location. We live in Manhattan and would love to be in chic/trendy/posh/stylish neighborhood, NOT the Times Square of London. More like Tribeca,Soho or even Madison Ave. We want quality...small rooms dont matter much.
so which hotel would be in that area most?
-Sanderson
-Covent Garden Hotel
-St Martin's Lane
-One Aldwych
-Halkin
-Metropolitan
-Number 16
none of the above? any other choices? we dont necessarily have to stay at a top tier place, but these are all the ones recommended to me. Thanks! JB
Nov 9th, 2004, 07:17 PM

My choice would be Covent Garden Hotel for what you mention, although I'll admit I know nothing about your last three choices.
Nov 20th, 2004, 03:00 PM

Hi JB,

Please tell me about the Convent Garden Hotel. Is it near the west end? What is it like? Thanks. GG

Nov 20th, 2004, 03:11 PM

As location goes, only the Metropolitan has what I'd consider to be a good one. However, you sound absolutely full of pretentions, and have chosen some of the most overrated place in London, but I'll offer you alternatives.

Firstly, Claridge's which is prime Mayfair territory, a legend, a landmark. The Dorchester is for less arty, but equally pretentious people. The Ritz is too classic for my tastes. The Metropolian is cold, the bar's fabulous, but I'm assuming you don't sleep in there. Mandarin Oriental is quite well located if you can walk.
Nov 20th, 2004, 05:15 PM

m_kingdom accusing someone of being pretentious ( ! ) now isn't THAT the pot calling the kettle black????
Nov 21st, 2004, 03:24 AM

Hi fellow New Yorker,
I wouldn't say 'trendy and posh' but Number 16 is in a great, non-Times Square-ish, neighborhood. Just a couple of blocks from the South Kensington tube stop, walking distance to V & A museum and others, many little cafes and restaurants on the side streets near the station and around the museums. I haven't stayed at that particular hotel, but twice have stayed in the area.
Nov 21st, 2004, 04:21 PM

LOL, janis. BINGO!