Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Which hotel in London? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/which-hotel-in-london-1025102/)

Debbielynn Sep 9th, 2014 11:41 AM

Which hotel in London?

I am trying to decide between 2 hotels in London. One is the LondonLodge, located in Kensington on Lewgarden and the other is the Georgian, located on st George's drive near Victoria station. Both areas look rather residential, with a bit of a walk to get to a pub or newspaper or coffee shop. My husband prefers the London lodge because it has a in hotel bar. I prefer the guardian as it seems to be a little more centrally located. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

janisj Sep 9th, 2014 12:01 PM

London Lodge is about equidistant between Earl's Court and High Street Kensington -- a little nearer Earls Court.

I assume (and certainly hope) you mean the Georgian <u>House</u> and not the Georgian or Guardian.

It is nearer Victoria but also not far from Pimlico and Sloane Square stations. There is a lot of construction around Victoria and the tube station but mostly on the other side from where the hotel is.

There will be almost no walk at all from either one to places to buy a paper/have a drink/get a bite to eat.

I'd personally choose the Georgian House -- but are these your only two options?

BigRuss Sep 9th, 2014 12:26 PM

"London Lodge is about equidistant between Earl's Court and High Street Kensington -- a little nearer Earls Court.>>

Which means it's not bloody convenient to the sites you're likely to want to visit as a tourist.

Debbielynn Sep 9th, 2014 01:17 PM

I looked on google map and I can't see any nearby restaurants, etc. where do you see them?

Debbielynn Sep 9th, 2014 01:20 PM

Yes, Janis's, the Georgian house. And these are what is available for my dates and price range.

BigRuss Sep 9th, 2014 01:31 PM

Hmm. Did you check out londontown.com - it has an interactive hotel map with prices.

Google map may not default to show restaurants but if you're near Victoria station, that won't be an issue.

janisj Sep 9th, 2014 02:11 PM

"I looked on google map and I can't see any nearby restaurants, etc. where do you see them?"

For which one?

There is almost no neighborhood anywhere in central London (especially where there are hotels) that doesn't have nearby places to eat/drink.

W/i a couple blocks of the Georgian House are probably 10+ pubs and many restaurants/cafes. And w/i a 10 minute walk -- countless.

As for London Lodge - exact same . . .

rebelrpr Sep 11th, 2014 04:52 AM

Look at the Sanctuary House Hotel at 33 Tothill !
We just stayed there for 9 nights...good facility , great staff and perfect location !!!

Rob

janisj Sep 11th, 2014 06:29 AM

Sanctuary House is hardly in the same budget range as the two hotels Debbielynn asked about - runs £80 - £100 more per night.

Tulips Sep 11th, 2014 06:31 AM

For the London Lodge, there's Stratford Road with small shops and a pub, and plenty of other restaurants nearby.

Georgian House looks much nicer than the London Lodge, though I would prefer the Kensington location.

I must say the hotel recommended by the previous poster looks much nicer then either one - probably more expensive?

Rubicund Sep 11th, 2014 06:36 AM

Apart from the londontown website, also check out these others. You can search by price and by location:

www.lastminute.com
www.laterooms.com
www.trivago.com

RoamEurope Sep 11th, 2014 07:49 AM

Agree with BigRuss and JanisJ-- go with Victoria area and also consider other options. Family actually stayed at London Lodge years ago and the people are really, really sweet and helpful. The location, though, makes no sense compared to all the other equivalent options available to you.

You don't say how long you will be there but have you considered an apartment/flat?

In addition to the other search sites referenced above, you also can go to www.booking.com and set your parameters on price and location (e.g., "Victoria Station" and use advanced options to pick budget/economy or sort by price after you search.

Debbielynn Sep 23rd, 2014 01:46 PM

Thanks to everyone for your advice. We went with the Georgian House and really like the neighborhood. Hotel is also nice, clean and has comfortable beds.