Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Which Hilton (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/which-hilton-362885/)

boom_boom Oct 2nd, 2003 06:30 PM

Which Hilton

I have two nights in London, 11-12 November and will be using Hilton Honors Points to pay for the room. Which Hilton in London would folks on this forum recommend?

Kate Oct 3rd, 2003 04:24 AM

Just a note to say NOT the Hilton Metropole - biggest hotel in London, but very bland, full of coach parties and business people and NOT a an attractic part of London (I know - I work round the corner).

AllyPally Oct 3rd, 2003 04:33 AM

Hilton, Park Lane. Get a room with a view of Hyde Park!

AAFrequentFlyer Oct 3rd, 2003 04:58 AM

I disagree with Kate. I loved the Metropole. Upgraded to the executive level, great executive lounge, new hotel, big for London rooms, etc...etc.... Just down the block there is the Paddington Hilton, right on top of the Paddington station. Great for catching trains and underground. Hilton Park Lane is very good one as well.

Do not stay at the Hilton Hyde Park. IMHO it should not be a Hilton. It reminds me of a 1 or at best 2* family run hotel that you see so much in London.

Did not stay but hear very good things about the Langham and Trafalgar.

bellairegirl Oct 3rd, 2003 05:32 AM

You might not have much of a choice in November. I just called to use Hilton points for one night in June (June!) and I had to settle for my 3rd choice! They must not set many rooms aside for Hilton points.

steve Oct 3rd, 2003 09:51 AM

I agree with the previous poster, if you have not done so already you may be out of luck.

We did use points at the Hilton Paddington last year and actually were quite pleased. The hotel is connected to Paddington Station for the national railway, tube and heathrow express without going outside for any of them. If you are flying out of heathrow, you can check in downstairs from the hotel. The was remodeled a couple of years ago and is great with fairly large rooms.

The area was not the most touristy area, but we were happy with the convenience of the hotel to the tube as noted above and the amenities inside paddington.

Ian Oct 3rd, 2003 03:34 PM

I'd have to disagree with AA . . .

from our trip last May . . .

Hotel - London Hilton on Park Lane £ 365 per night per night for Club floor ? King Bed

Being a Hilton Honors points collector, I took advantage of one of their perks for Gold members ? 6 free nights at any Hilton in the world for 150,000 points. We decided to use them wisely on a hotel in one of the really expensive hotel cities. With a standard room rate of £ 365 per night we would not have stayed here otherwise. We got a largish room on the 19th floor with a small balcony facing north, overlooking Mayfair & Hyde Park. We loved it. We also got free access to the Club Room on the 26th floor; looking west over London with an incredible view. We skipped the Eye because we had this view everyday. This gave us a good free continental breakfast, free afternoon tea & snacks & free drinks & snacks in the evening. We used it everyday. The staff was excellent & the quality of food & snacks was first rate. This alone probably saved us £ 100 per day. We rubbed shoulders with Arabic, Indian & American businessman who seemed to haunt the Club Room.

AAFrequentFlyer Oct 4th, 2003 07:51 AM

Ian,

You disagree with me about.........?????

I did say Hilton Park Lane is great, it's Hilton Hyde Park that I have a huge problem with.

Ian Oct 4th, 2003 01:37 PM

Well AA, I guess we must agree then . . .

daph Oct 4th, 2003 03:36 PM

Not that we want to lose you on this forum but if you go on www. flyertalk.com/ and scroll down to hotel chains and and click on Hilton and do a search for London, you will find many reviews and discussion of Honors Points.

donnae_b Oct 4th, 2003 09:14 PM

I stayed at the Chelsea Harbor Hilton and was very happy. The area really gave me a view of everyday life in London.

ErinS Nov 6th, 2003 09:23 AM

Stayed at The Langham Hilton in March 2003. Great hotel, great location, great staff...the only problem is if you are a Hilton Honors elite member, you are not going to get any perks. No upgrade to club floor, no club room access. You will be offered an upgrade to the next class of room (an all wood clubby type room with a "view") and maybe you can negotiate free breakfast (breakfast for 2 is £38).

hsv Nov 6th, 2003 10:53 AM

I am with AllyPally and AAFrequentFlyer on this:
The Hilton on Park Lane is the place to be and from which "you can sightsee London without moving your feet" (advertisement)!

TravelMaster Nov 6th, 2003 01:14 PM

Hi Boom Boom:

Last fall we stayed at the London Hilton Docklands, in a quiet residential area across the river from Canary Warf.

We chose it because it was a 'Category 3' Hilton (25k pts per night) so I had enough points for our entire stay (were as most of the others in London were Category 5/35k or 6/40k points so I would have needed $$ for the last couple of nights).

It was a very nice hotel & we had a large room overlooking the river & the staff was very nice/helpful.

Additionally, they provided a complementary shuttle to/from the Canada Water tube station that ran every 15 minutes (all day from about 7:30am to 11:30pm) & it was < 5 min drive to/from the station & < 5 min by tube to Waterloo or other downtown stations.

So if you are looking for a nice hotel that isn't too far away to conserve your points I'd recommend the Hilton Dockland's (I'd stay their again, even if I had to pay).

Hope this helps,

Z

Cathryn Dec 3rd, 2003 12:53 PM

Travelmaster - I found that tip helpful (and so will my accountant husband) thanks!