Which Greek islands to go to ?

Old Feb 7th, 2000, 07:00 AM
Lynn

Which Greek islands to go to ?

We are planning our 10yr. anniversary vacation and want it to be both relaxing and informative. We've chosen Greece and Istanbul. We'll spend 5 days in Santorini to relax and enjoy the beauty there and 3 days in Istanbul and 2 in Athens. Should we stay on another Greek island? I've done a lot of reading and ruled out Mykonos due to it's 'party' imagine, although I know it's a good island. Can we make day trips to a nearby island from Santorini? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old Feb 7th, 2000, 08:20 AM
Pam

I would not try to do another Grek island, you will find lots to do on Santorini. If you are planning to take a ferry from Santorini to Turkey, be sure to not cut it too close if you have to switch ferries someplace. We did, and got to spend two nice days on Paros! Santorini is easy to drive, so rent a car and cruise all over,see the beaches and the wineries and relax! Samos is nice too and close to Turkey if you really just have to do one more island. I don't recall any day trips out of Thera, but things are always changing. have fun and eat lots!

Old Feb 7th, 2000, 08:30 AM
Lynn

Pam,
Thanks for the reply. It was helpful and I'm glad to see that there will be enough to do on Santorini and that it will give me some Greek culture. Where did you stay on Santorini?

Old Feb 7th, 2000, 08:41 AM
jan

We were in Greece in sept 1998 for our 30th anniversary. All the Greek isles
are beautiful, and each is unique in it's own way. Rhodes and Crete are large and offer a lot.But if your time is limited, and if you want to see 3 small islands, each different, there is a one day cruise(which includes all 3) from Piraeus, the port of Athens, you could try this. Friends of ours took this and said it was great and very inexpensive. We took the 7 day cruise on the Stella Solaris and went to santorini, mykonos, crete, rhodes and istanbul along with Ephesis and Kusadasi. Ephesis is incredible and
should not be missed. While in Istanbul, make sure you go to the Turkish bath and enjoy. We were hesitant but 3 couples decided to do it and it is one of the highlights of our trip. I wish i were going back to Greece today. The people, food and sights are wonderful. You will LOVE IT.

Old Feb 12th, 2000, 01:00 AM
Cal

Crete, the largest and most diverse Greek Isle is a lot of fun if you don't
mind renting a car...We were based on Creek at a timeshare, but took a day boat excursion to Santorini which took about three hours. (I assume that same boat trip is still available.) It left from the boat harbor at Heraklion, the capital city of Crete. Have a wonderful trip...We certainly desire to return to Santorini one day...

Old Feb 15th, 2000, 10:13 PM
Billie

Naxos would be nice if you just have a little times, it's 3-4 hours ferry time from santorini, it's a large island, but you can just hanging around in the down town. It's has a very beautiful castle area, and the zitron(?) wine, which is only produced from this island is great, but don't expect beautiful beach near town.

Old Feb 19th, 2000, 05:58 AM
Konstantinos

Lynn, dont bother with other islands. Once you're in Santorini, you won't want to leave... i promise...
I had a great time there. When are you going ? Summer? It's always better to avoid the 'tourist season' so try to go either before the 25trh June or after the 25th August. You can have a look at some of the photos i took while i was there : http://photo.net/photodb/presentatio...tation_id=6381

try to remember this name: Imerovigli . I liked it the most. Try to stay there. It's a good point since you're in the middle of the island and nothing's too far.

all the best,
Konstantinos

Old Feb 27th, 2000, 03:12 PM
kam

I would stay on Santorini & be sure to stay on the caldera. You will not be disappointed. Breath taking! Enjoy your trip!

Old Feb 27th, 2000, 10:58 PM
jacquie

Just a reminder to have a look at the hosted forum on the Greek Islands - some good info there.

Old Feb 28th, 2000, 10:22 AM
lisa

Konstantinos: Your photos are beautiful -- What is the name of the hotel in the photos and is that where you stayed?

Old Feb 28th, 2000, 11:47 AM
Diane

Kostantinos: Beautiful photos. You can check out my photos of Santorini at
http://sites.netscape.net/dmykonos