Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Which Greek Islands for the end of March? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/which-greek-islands-for-the-end-of-march-828172/)

dutyfree Feb 24th, 2010 08:55 PM

Which Greek Islands for the end of March?

I am planning another last minute trip for my family (if all of the planets are in alignment?) for the end of March. DD and I have been to Athens and done a weeks driving around the Napflion,etc. My son and hubs would like to do a couple days in Athens and then go to one or two Greek Islands. Considering that it is going to be the week before Easter-any thoughts on which island would be good to visit or base ourselves? I don't just want to do the 3 island tour out of Athens. Thanks!

brotherleelove2004 Feb 24th, 2010 09:07 PM

Whichever ones you choose be sure you have confirmed reservations for flights, ferries, hotels and rental cars, and do it ASAP. You're planning to be there during the busiest time of the year for Greeks returning home for the holiday. Plan to spend a minimum of 3 nights on each island, preferably 4 or more.

tod Feb 24th, 2010 09:17 PM

Skiathos in the Sporades and Lesbos in the Northeast Aegean come to mind. Been to Skiathos and Skopolos but not Lesbos which is a big island and has a lot to offer.

Looking through my EyeWitness Guide "The Greek Islands" I notice that exploring the Cyclades could be quite easy as the dozens of little islands have regular ferries between them.
You get the big islands like Andros, Tinos, Mykonos, Naxos and Paros, but there are tiny little islands like Donoussa, Koufonisi, Scholnoussa, Ios Sikinos, Sifnos etc. etc.

If you can get a copy of this guide it would help a lot.

andrewduncan1962 Mar 1st, 2010 09:43 AM

Hi duty free, i would definitely recommend a visit to the islands of Corfu and Paxos. You can get a flight easily from Athens to/from corfu where there are many brilliant villas for rental - many with central heating or air con blowing warm air - and then its an easy hydrofoil trip over to Paxos (1 hour crossing) for something very different - but equally as enjoyable - the contrasts are amazing. i would also recommend a villa in Paxos as well - for families, it is much more economical. My family and friends use My Villas in Greece, a great little company for getting factual and accurate information. Kalo Taxidi!!!

Chania Mar 1st, 2010 11:50 AM

Something to keep in mind is at that time of year, smaller islands often do not have all of their hotels open and ferries are not running as regularly as in May and after. I once waited several days to get a ferry off of Folegandros just before easter. One ferry arrived but wouldn't dock due to high seas and turned around and left. I would consider Crete as it is south where the weather may be warmer and large enough that many hotels are open all year around.