Which Greek Island for a honeymoon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello to all the greek travelers! My fiance and I will be finishing up our honeymoon trip to Italy with a few days in Greece. We'd like to spend 3-4 days in Greece. We are looking for this to be a relaxing end to the honeymoon as we plan to do a lot of "tourist" things in Italy, so we were thinking 2-3 days on an island and then one day in Athens before we fly out of Athens to return to the US. My main question is this- which is the best island for this, we must remain reasonable on the cost ($250-$300/night, at the most, is this realistic?) AND how should we get to greece? We plan to leave from Rome, is a plane the best way to go? Should we fly into Athens and then to an island, or fly directly to an island? Please help!
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 03:19 PM

It would help in giving you good advice if you would be specific about WHEN you'd want to be in GReece. May or June is very different from July and August.
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 04:03 PM

The most romantic island is Santorini. You can fly directly into Santorini from Rome, but the flight schedule and prices vary, so start looking (www.kayak.com). A ferry will be 6 hours each way from Athens, so on your limited schedule, plan to fly. I will guess $500RT per passenger.
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 04:05 PM

If you had a few extra days, a more economical option would be a 7-day Med. cruise starting from Rome and through the Aegean, then back.
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

We will be in Europe in June 2007, arriving in Greece either the 20th or 21st. Wow! Can't believe flights are that expensive $500?! We would only need a one-way flight, but for such a short trip, I didn't think it would be that expensive. Would you all recommend booking this Rome-Santorrini flight in advance?
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

I looked on www.kayak.com and there didn't appear to be any direct flights from Rome to Santorini. Do these flights exist. If we just flew from Rome to Athens, what would be the other options to get to Santorini? We are really looking for the fastest way to get there so we can spend as little time traveling as possible. Thanks again!
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 11:15 AM

Check out Aegean airlines. They have cheap flights from Athens to Santorini (Thira airport) starting from 19 euros. I flew with them last April and it was fine. They also fly from Rome to Athens. I would definitely use Aegean for flights to the islands.
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 12:10 PM
GBC

desireepratt...the posters here can provide more assistance if you state when you hope to do this trip.

Santorini is the perfect choice, BUT, I did a search and I couldn't find a direct flight Rome to Santorini. Aegean Airlines has one thru Athens. During off times this is as reasonable as $69 but since it isn't direct it will use up a day just getting there. You could contact one of the travel agencies in Athens. They are very helpful and may have some answers for you. Fantasy Travel is one - a search here will get you the other one that is well regarded.

As an alternative, would you consider Sardania? I've not been there but it is on my wish list.
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 05:31 PM

If you are already in Italy and price is an issue, consider the Adriatic side of Greece. Corfu is a gorgeous island (check out the old Bond flick For Your Eyes Only), not nearly as crowded as Santorini, and you can take the ferry over and back from Brindisi. No matter which island you go to, you are in for a treat!
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 05:32 PM

PS - for all things Greek, check out Matt Barret's site:

http://www.greektravel.com