Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which European capital city have you found most rewarding?

Old Dec 29th, 2003, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just read on another thread that someone found Madrid the most boring capital and it made me wonder which ones are the most rewarding from a tourist's point of view.

The term 'rewarding' will, of course, mean different things to different people, but might include things such as natural beauty, history, the arts, friendly denizens, interesting architecture, affordablity, etc.

In the interests of balance, let's EXCLUDE the 'Big 4' which are so often discussed -- Paris, Rome, London and Amsterdam. I think we all have a pretty good idea of their merits.

Your choice isn't expected to be on par with the Big 4, nor should it be - and it's doubtful anyone has visited all of them, but what would be your answer considering the ones you have been to?

I searched this site and saw an older post about most beautiful capitals but that's not the same as 'rewarding', IMO.

Thanks.

list of all:

http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworl...als_europe.htm

Old Dec 29th, 2003, 03:37 PM

Hmm. Berlin and Vienna rank higher than some you list in my travels.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

I didn't list anything.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 06:31 PM

Yes you did--"the big 4".
My answer is Prague !
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 08:12 PM

London and Rome would be my two highest picks, both because of the sense of history that surrounds the visitor. Rome also is the most "alive" of the capitals we have visited--the city really hums with excitement.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 11:08 PM

Stockholm. Extremely beautiful, nice, helpful people, English widely spoken, good museums, good food, and also convenient for a woman traveling on her own - very long days in summer.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 02:36 AM
ira

Copenhagen

Old Dec 30th, 2003, 08:50 AM

Amsterdam is not really the capital ;-
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 09:17 AM

Prague, which I would actually place 2nd behind Paris. Of course my favorite non-Euro capital would be Key West, the capital of the Conch Republic.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 09:32 AM
Degas

Budapest - sometimes called the Paris of Eastern Europe.

Old Dec 30th, 2003, 03:45 PM

Prague.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 06:37 PM

Putting the obvious gaff about Amsterdam aside - and taking out Rome which I would call rewarding .....

Reykjavik. Beautiful bay area with a nice 40mph gust is one of the most exhilerating "rewards" I've ever had in a capital. (although that's not for everyone)

Runners up I'd say are Dublin, and Tallin. Honorable mention goes to Vaduz which is small but has a mid-size town feel which I like in a capital. Kiev is also very rewarding but I would not say so from a tourist perspective. (but working there for a couple of weeks sure gives you a few stories to tell)

Sterile disappointments to me are Vienna and Copenhagen. I'd much prefer Oslo or Stockholm to Copenhagen even though the Oresund area around there is very nice as a whole.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the responses thus far. Adding at least a little blurb about why you think the city is noteworthy would be helpful. (thanks Keren and sneezey).

I am hoping to pick up some information to help me decide a new holiday destination, that's all. I've been to only a handful of capitals, including the exclusions, so was curious about other destinations. We basically enjoy walkable cities that have some natural beauty, good nightlife, museums of any kind, situated well for a couple of daytrips and would be good for a week's visit.

Regarding Amsterdam, I am aware that
's-Gravenhage (aka Den Haag, aka The Hague) is the de facto government captial of NL but also think Amsterdam in indeed considered the capital city of Kingdom of the Netherlands.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 08:05 PM

Hi Sneezy,
I am interested in why you chose Vaduz.

What can a tourist do there other than have your passport stamped and visit the post museum?

I am genuinely curious.

Old Dec 31st, 2003, 06:06 AM
JMM

For tons of stuff to see and do: London
I have been there about 5 times and still have not seen everything I want to.
Old Jan 1st, 2004, 06:33 AM

JMM, I agree with you! Can't get enough of London. Judy ;-)
Old Jan 1st, 2004, 07:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Since you're limiting this to capitals, my vote goes to Bern, because it is everything a city should be and was designed to be. Very liveable, and when I go there, it feels like coming home.
Old Jan 1st, 2004, 08:03 AM

Edinburgh. History, castle, architecture, beauty, gardens, galleries/museums, pubs, friendly people -- and small enough to really see in just a few days.
Old Jan 1st, 2004, 08:17 AM

KS452,

As I said I like Vaduz because it doesn't seem like a capital at all. It has a very lazy home town kind of feel where you can sit down in an al fresco restaurant have some great food and forget where you are. It's very relaxing and easy to stroll around the small places and think you're in a small Bavarian or Swiss town.

If you wanted bustling night life, not it's not for you. I like it specifically because you can actually relax. It's rural instead of urban. To me it's the opposite of Luxembourg where its so crowded on top of each other and other than a few of the old city parts is concrete.
Old Jan 1st, 2004, 12:04 PM

Hi KS452,

I agree with Janis - Edinburgh fills the bill.

Now if you want large cities - not capitals - and still meet your other criteria, I would put Barcelona ahead of Edinburgh.

Have fun finding a good destination.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -