Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Which English gardens to visit ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/which-english-gardens-to-visit-162199/)

gardentourist Jan 12th, 2003 03:45 PM

Which English gardens to visit ?

Planning to tour the lovely gardens of England - which do you recommend - and some nice B and B's too please! Whats the score on Sissinghurst, Hidcote, Wisley, Kew etc?

marshaharper Jan 12th, 2003 04:10 PM

The gardens of England are amazing. I went on a garden tour a few years ago which included the Chelsea flower show. Hidcote was wonderful; but, Sissinghurst was my favorite. We also toured Rosemary Verey's garden which we all loved. Our trip was in late May; but, if I went again I think later in the season would be better for the perennial gardens.

Prue Jan 12th, 2003 06:13 PM

There was an excellent post on the board recently about visiting English gardens - if you do a search at the top of the page you will find quite a lot of information.

JC Jan 12th, 2003 08:20 PM

If you would post the time of your visiting,what types of garden(flowers,landscaped,educational,historical,g rand houses on site?)you are interested in,perhaps it would be easier to make some suggestions.<BR><BR>For instance: Sissinghurst is small,romantic and compact like a perfect little chamber music,famous for the White Garden,and spring flowers. Actually the nearby gardens:Penshurst Place,Hever Castle,Scotney and Sheffield Park are as lovely.<BR><BR>Hidcote Manor is a great example of &quot;Art and Craft&quot;,famous for the rare shrubs and trees.<BR><BR>Wisley is the main garden of Royal Horticultural society,more than 200 acres,with many different types of gardens presented more for educational purpose,its for any seasons.<BR><BR>Kews is the oldest Botanical garden,with many historical buildings plus greenhouses,grest diversities for all seasons too.

kathy Jan 12th, 2003 10:31 PM

Is Hidcote Manor the origin of hidcote lavender? Does this garden have lots of lavender?

PatrickW Jan 13th, 2003 12:51 AM

You could try the Garden Finder pages run by<BR><BR>Royal Horticultural Society:<BR>http://www.rhs.org.uk/rhsgardenfinder/gardenfinder.asp<BR><BR>National Garden Society:<BR>http://www.ngs.org.uk/search.htm

Davidx Jan 13th, 2003 02:09 AM

I hope you would consider some further away. You will find http://www.gardensincornwall.co.uk/<BR>a very useful site. In Cornwall I can particularly recommend The Lost Gardens of Heligan [read the book first if possible] and Trelissick, which is pretty well unbeatable for location.

Julie Jan 13th, 2003 04:31 AM

Is it worth it to visit the gardens in March? Will there be anything to see?

Munich Jan 13th, 2003 04:51 AM

I enjoy the Munich English Gardens.

anette Jan 13th, 2003 05:44 AM

Certainly visit Wisley in surrey Wonderful. Lots of available accmodation nearby. The rhs website will be able to help. There is lots to see in April, the gardens are always undergoing change. Libraries and help there too. Also fantastic choice of resturants and great gift shop and plant centre. Enjoy

JC Jan 13th, 2003 02:14 PM

<BR>To Julie: most gardens open from late March such as Sissinghurst and Hidcote.Wisley and Kew open all year round.<BR><BR>However, due to the milder climate,many gardens in West Country open all year or from first of March. If you are a fan(as I) of camellias,rhododendrons and bluebells,March is the best time to visit Cornwall and Devon,there are absolutely magnificient.<BR><BR>To Cathy;I did see a lot of Lavenders at the formal garden of Hidcote.

gardentourist Jan 13th, 2003 02:25 PM

JC thanks for you tips. I actually enjoy all sorts of gardens - so wanted to know the range. And the dates of my tour will be dependant upon the recommendations here. That aside,your post was exactly the information I was after !

alicia Jan 13th, 2003 05:38 PM

I found the Chelsea show to be disappointing. Poor crowd control, tons of people, very hard to see and navigate the grounds. The best part was watching the BBC nightly recap at the hotel.<BR><BR>We toured the following gardens<BR>Arley Hall - my favorite<BR>Castle Howard - large estate, nice ground to walk<BR>Blenheim Palace - large estate, spring for the personal living quarters tour above and beyone the regular house tour.<BR>(We stayed at the Blenheim Guest and Tea House right outside the Palace gate. Diane Smith the mgr was very helpful via email.<BR>Chatworth<BR>(Best of the large estate tours)<BR><BR>Other favorite spots<BR>Sissinghurst<BR>Sandringham<BR>Barnsley House<BR>Hidcote Manor<BR><BR>Arley Hall Notes<BR>Location: 8Km (5 miles) W of Knutsford by minor roads<BR>Open: Apr – Sept, Tuesday to Sunday from noon to 5PM<BR>Address: Arley, nr. Northwich, Cheshire CW9 6NA<BR>Tel: 01565 777353<BR><BR>Arley Hall is an important Jacobean-style house built about 1840, in the middle of an estate held much longer by the Flower family, The contents are interesting, the grand library more than interesting, perhaps superb. The gardens were largely laid out in the 1840s, but every generation has added something since. There is a Victorian Double Herbaceous Border, the only avenue in England of Ilex clipped in the shape of giant cylinders, a Lime Avenue and ancient Yew hedges, Roses, Herbs and Woodland Gardens. This last is notable for a collection of over 200 Rhododendrons, mostly planted in the recent past. There is a stately park worthy of a stately home. The house and grounds are often used for events and exhibitions of various kinds. <BR>

cfoos Jan 14th, 2003 11:03 AM

We enjoyed Hidcote a lot when we were there last summer. We also visited William Morris' house and garden at Kelmscott Manor (I can't remember exact location, but it's in or near the Cotswolds) and enjoyed that tour as well. Have fun! I'd love to go back.

sissinghurst fan Jan 18th, 2003 02:55 AM

Sissinghurst is certainly top of my list. It widely regarded as the best garden in England and looks fabulous throughout its opening season, from early spring to late autumn. Try this web site for some absolutely stunning phots:<BR><BR><BR>http://www.invectis.co.uk/sissing/index.htm

Mike Keene Jan 23rd, 2003 11:39 AM

I second that, Sissinghurst is a delight; and that's coming from a local brit. If you get the chance, stop by the village of Biddenden on the way and have a pub lunch at the 'Red Lion' where you can savour the local bitter, brewed by Sheperd Neame, the oldest brewery in England! 25 miles away at Faversham, my home town!<BR>Have a good trip!

sarah Jan 24th, 2003 07:03 AM

We will be in London for the first week of April this year with side trips to the Glastonbury area and wherever Cadbury World is (I have forgotten the name of the town at the moment). Any suggestions for the best gardens at that time of year?<BR><BR>Also, can you bring flower/plant seed packets back with you to the States from England and France? If so, are there any particular seeds anyone would suggest that I get (i.e., that either can't be found in the States ro might be hard to find)? We live in the Midwest - Zone 5. I know this is a travel board, not a home and garden board, but I was just hoping to combine the two. :-) Thanks for your input.

z Jan 24th, 2003 08:44 AM

Sarah, <BR>Cadbury World is in Bournville, not far from Birmingham. I know this doesn't actually answer your question, but maybe it will help someone else answer it for you.

JC Jan 24th, 2003 08:53 AM

<BR>To Sarah:Cadbury World is by Birmingham,the nearest garden is Packwood House(National Trust) famous for the topiary gardens and 16th century house. If you go further north, the world-famous Powis Castle(12th century) is worth a trip for the terrace gardens and beautiful borders.In April,rhododendrons shall be in bloom.

pakitty Jan 29th, 2003 05:34 AM

My favorite is Sissinghurst. I prefer romantic gardens with lots of flowers, and was disappointed with Hidcote Manor. But, next door to Hidcote is wonderful Kiftsgate Manor, and nearby is Sezincote, which also has a beautiful house with an Indian flair - Sezincote is only open one or two days a week and therefore usually overlooked. Other favorites near London are Hampton Court, Hever Castle, and Kew. There are some great gardens in northern Wales, incl Bodnant, Chirk Castle, Penrhyn Castle and Plas Newydd - I saw these plus many private gardens on an inexpensive garden tour with HFHolidays last year.