Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Which easyjet flight form London would you pick? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/which-easyjet-flight-form-london-would-you-pick-823022/)

kit Jan 22nd, 2010 05:36 PM

Which easyjet flight form London would you pick?

Sunday morning....from South Ken...8 am flight...to Amsterdam. Options are:

32 pound fare from Gatwick
27 pound fare from Luton
29 pound fare from Stansted

Thanks, experts!

janisj Jan 22nd, 2010 06:36 PM

Being a Sunday, you'll have a bit of a problem

Gatwick would be best as you are only two tube stops from Victoria and then the Gatwick Express train to LGW. Unfortunately the first tube train doesn't leave S, Kens until 0643 which is too late to catch your flight.

So you'll have to book a taxi for around 0500 to Victoria, then take the train to LGW.

janisj Jan 22nd, 2010 06:36 PM

. . . OR -- book a later flight . . .

kit Jan 23rd, 2010 11:36 AM

0500? Oh dear...can't/unable to take the later/evening flight.

janisj Jan 23rd, 2010 11:45 AM

Which airline? The budget ones are VERY strict about check in times. You can't just be in the queue, you must have your boarding pass in hand by the cut off. Otherwise you are completely SOL.

You'd have to leave earlier than 5 AM to get to Stansted or Luton from South Kensington. My guess is the check in is 45 mins -- maybe an hour. But w/ security and all you'll want to be at the airport at least 2 hours before the flight. So that is 6 AM. Backing up from there, means leaving South Kens around 05:00 Gatwick, 04:00 or 04:30 for Luton or Stansted.

Man_in_seat_61 Jan 26th, 2010 12:58 AM

None.

Amsterdam is hardly Australia, so no flight required! Take Eurotar and a connecting train from Brussels from 50 euros one-way or the excellent overnight train and ferry service (which also saves a hotel bill) from £35 one way plus £22 for a private single-bed cabin with shower, www.set61.com/Netherlands.htm. Give those melting ice caps a rest!

The train to the airport will cost £14 on its own, plus the flight, plus airport taxes, plus baggage fees, plus credit card fees, plus £5 for Schiphol-Amsterdam train tickets....

kit Jan 26th, 2010 09:42 AM

Thank you, Man61. That's exactly what I decided to do -- take the Eurostar through the Chunnel. I get very seasick, so as much as the ferry sounds great -- it would not be great for me :)

I like your website; it convinced me to consider the train! One question: once in Brussels, do you recommend taking the Thalys or intercity. I am a bit unclear on which is "best." (I know Thalys is high speed, but it looks like it only gets in about 20 minutes faster -- which is preferred, of course, as long as it is not disproportionately more expensive.)

Thank you all for the advice!

kit Jan 26th, 2010 09:51 AM

Also, Man, is there an overnight train from AMS to Rome, or is that a trip best taken by air?

BikerScott Jan 26th, 2010 01:53 PM

I know this has already been decided, but I thought I'd throw my £0.02 in - both Luton and Stansted are such pains to get to from central London that I wouldn't fly into/out of either unless there was absolutely no other option - Gatwick is not quite as far but much easier to get to, London City is better, and Eurostar is best if at all possible.

alihutch Jan 26th, 2010 02:54 PM

Luton isn't a pain....done it a lot of times....Standsted good too...further, but station in the airport..