Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Which designer handbags come out in Europe before hitting the States? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/which-designer-handbags-come-out-in-europe-before-hitting-the-states-835836/)

JillDavis Apr 15th, 2010 10:01 AM

Which designer handbags come out in Europe before hitting the States?

I am going to Paris for the first time at the end of June and early July. Does anyone know which major handbag designers release their product in Europe before releasing in the states? (I love LV, Chanel, Burberry, Hermes (Birken bag). It would be a wonderful 30th birthday present to have a special purse that one cannot purchase yet in the states.

RM67 Apr 15th, 2010 10:23 AM

No idea. But surely the best reason the buy a bag (or any fashion item) is because you like the design and/or workmanship, not because of its exclusivity or label?

Christina Apr 15th, 2010 10:58 AM

I think a lot of designers sell things in some markets and not others (including styles and colors). But with the internet and international delivery, what difference does it make? If someone really wanted to buy a certain thing that was only sold in a Paris/London store, and not the US, they could call them up and have it shipped. In any case, I know Chanel and Longchamp have some things in Paris that are not in the US. You can buy those even online, can't you?

JillDavis Apr 15th, 2010 11:12 AM

RM67 - Yes, I pick my handbags based on it's design but I figured for this special birthday, I wanted something a little special.

Christina - Not sure about the whole online thing. I figured I would just post something on Fodors to see if anyone knew of certain labels that release in Europe first. Thanks for the heads up on Chanel....

StCirq Apr 15th, 2010 11:13 AM

You can pretty much buy anything you want from anywhere in the world in today's global marketplace. You'd have to go to Bhutan or somewhere to get an edge on things other Americans don't have in their possession yet.

historytraveler Apr 15th, 2010 11:20 AM

Let me get this straight. On another post, you were concerned about a $14.00 shipping charge, and now you are planning on spending upwards of a thousand dollars, likely more, for a Chanel, Burberry or Hermes bag? Hmmmmmm. Je ne comprends pas.:)

JillDavis Apr 15th, 2010 11:30 AM

Historytraveler - yes, seems funny doesn't it! My husband can be tight with his money when it comes to paying for certain things. I don't blame him. We work hard and why pay for something you don't have to? However, he said for my 30th birthday, I can choose sometime special. SO, my quest for the exclusive handbag continues!

cigalechanta Apr 15th, 2010 11:44 AM

In Paris the different designer shops will have models not available in the USA.

JillDavis Apr 15th, 2010 11:49 AM

Cigalechanta - thank you!! Do you happen to know which designer shops I should visit?

Cathinjoetown May 8th, 2010 01:22 AM

I think there's a waiting list of several years for a Hermes Birkin bag or that might be the Kelly model. For your 30th birthday, you could put your name on the list and receive it for your 40th.

cafegoddess May 8th, 2010 05:23 AM

As far as I know Chanel does not make bags just for Europeans/Europe. It is up to the buyer what they want to carry or what they think their clients would want. Last year the salesperson of a LV store insisted the a certain bag was exlusive for the Pacific region, one month later I was in Paris, there was the bag. Good luck finding the perfect bag.

I would go for the Birkin bag in Blue jeans or chocolate.

danon May 8th, 2010 06:45 AM

historytraveler, I also find it interesting that people who
take public transit from airports and stay in 3 star hotels
have no trouble spending several thousand on a bag that will be "old model" the following year.
Go figure.

scatcat May 8th, 2010 07:20 AM

Jill-I was in the Nice LV boutique April 14. The handbag that I bought myself about 2 years ago is still one of 3 on display behind the counter. I can tell you this: they all look better than pictures on internet. I feel sure you will find one you can't live without. I always do.

cigalechanta May 8th, 2010 07:39 AM

Jill. there are Chanel's LV and Hermes new or used but in excellant condition at Malleries.com, where I bought sa vintage chanel. and guaranteed authentic.
Not all shops carry the same models. I saw a cluth I wanted
but was not carried in the shop but they ordered it for me.

cigalechanta May 8th, 2010 07:42 AM

Here's a list of shops

http://www.blackbookmag.com/guides/p...ing/s/handbags

Tulips May 8th, 2010 08:33 AM

Order one from Goyard in advance, with your initials. It will definitely be unique.
Louis Vuitton do a range of totes with the name of a city, that you can only buy there; don't know if there is one for Paris.

Gina817 May 8th, 2010 09:33 AM

It seems like most of the flagship stores in major cities in the US would have the same items. I'm sure most everyone knows this, but the flagship store debuts the latest and greatest styles first. They also introduce concept items at those stores to see how they do before releasing them to all other stores.

People splurge in different ways. A round or two of golf at a nice course could cost as much as this bag she is buying.

Christina May 8th, 2010 10:04 AM

Well that is patently absurd. You either don't know the price of these designer handbags or don't know green fees. I live in a very expensive city in the US, and the green fees at some top country clubs (one is the site of a national tournament) are only about $75-125. Even Pebble beach is only around $500, I know because I've been there. These designer handbags can run into the thousands and some of them can be 5 or six figures (like the Birkin).

cigalechanta May 8th, 2010 10:08 AM

Maybe he owns the golf club :)

cigalechanta May 8th, 2010 10:16 AM

Seriously Gina, here a look at some Birkins that are not new.

http://luxury.malleries.com/hermes-c-772-s-0.html