Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which day of the week for a Cotswold tour?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have decided to take the full day Cotswold Discovery Tour & saw that they only do them Tuesday, Thursday & Sunday.

Thursday- day after we land...too much?
Sundays- Crazy with people?
Next Tuesday-Thursday- in paris.
Sunday- again, crazy?

Should we go on a Sunday where we are more rested or go right away the day after we land?
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 02:22 PM

If you are taking a tour on a bus or van it shouldn't be too stressful. We took a Cotswald bus tour like that and found lots of time on the bus to nap or look out the window at the passing countryside. Best advise I have seen on jetlag is to force yourself to stay up until an early bedtime the day you land then the next day you will wake up on the new time schedule and be ready to go.

Schedule it whenever you can fit it into your schedule and don't worry about being too tired. I also don't think you will find the Cotswalds to be too crazy with people even on a Sunday.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 10:09 PM

Nowhere in the Cotswolds is ever crazy with people.

But the charm of the smaller villages is quite destroyed by the simultaneous arrival of even a couple of dozen trippers - which is why these organised tours are never a very good idea. It doesn't matter to the village that it ceases to be charming for a half an hour - but you've wasted your money.

The problem is obviously worst on summer Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays. July weekends, Bourton on the Water in the middle of the day is simply hellish for example - though it's really nice on Sundays in December and January, when the summer trippers are all buying up IKEA.

Were I so misguided as to take one of these tours, I certainly wouldn't do it the day I landed from a transatlantic trip, as you'd always be drifting off to sleep and ruin your attempt to adjust to local time. But the day after landing would be pretty much the perfect day.

So if you're landing on Wed morning, Thursday is the least worst tour to take.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 07:06 AM

I'm sorry after the info you got on your other thread, you've opted for this organized tour. But never mind, that is what you want to do.

Flanneruk describes exactly what the effect of coach groups is on the villages.

And do realize - your single coach trip is not the only one. There are MANY day trip companies and most take variations of the same routes, visiting the same small villages. There is a reason the coach park in Bourton in the Water is HUGE. They arrive one after another, each disgorging 40 - 60 mostly elderly day trippers all heading to the same ice cream shop, pubs, public restrooms, etc.

This is why it is best to be in the Cotswolds overnight - you would be there before and after the day trippers have gone for the day.

But if a day trip is what you want to do - then DO NOT do it on a weekend. The normal sorta tolerable crowds become insane on a nice Sunday.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Janis- i know, i know. unfortunately, my husband said that he would be freaked out by renting a car & doesn't want that "stress". i really wanted to see it on my own too but to have a husband that isn't enjoying himself isn't worth it- i'll just go on the tour & hopefully make the best of it.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 11:04 AM

I know how that can be - sorta why I have an EX

Why not fly this idea past your husband? Take the train to Moreton-in-Marsh and hire a car/drive for 1 1/2 days? That way you can stay in a lovely Cotswold B&B for one night, get around some of the more off the beaten path places - and see pubs that don't allow coach parties. And you huspand won't have the stress of driving and can concentrate on the sights instead . . . . .
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 05:38 AM

ttt
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 12:51 PM

I did just what Janis is suggesting. I took the train to Morton On Marsh and hired a car. That was my first trip to the Cotswolds. I have been back at least 7 or 8 times since and will only stay in a cotswolds village in a self catering and rent a car. What a shame to try to see the Cotswolds on a one day tour bus. You will be really missing the wonders of the area.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 03:31 PM

Oh - sheesh - I just noticed a typo in my last post that totally changes what I meant. It should have read " . . .hire a
car/DRIVER for 1 1/2 days . . " hat way your husband wouldn't have to do the driving.

I do agree w/ vstanton - driving after you get to the Cotswolds really isn't hard at all.

BUT if your husband is dead set against it a driver will solve that issue -- and probably cost less than a guided tour from London X2