Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which dates would you go to Italy if you were me?

Oct 3rd, 2010, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Just wanted your opinions on what time frame you would choose to go to Italy. I have two different options. Option 1:

Sept. 1-5 Rome
Sept 6-12 Positano (Amalfi Coast)
Sept 13-17 Tuscany

OR Option 2:

Sept. 30th-Oct 5th Rome
Oct. 6th-12th Positano (Amalfi - will it be too cold?)
Oct 13th-17th Tuscany
Oct 3rd, 2010, 04:51 PM

IMHO early Sept in Rome is too hot. But - if you want to use the Amalfi Cost as a beach resort mid Oct may be too cool. (We have been there in mid May, the hotel pools were open and it warm enough to swim - although we didn;t go into the sea. The beaches there are pebbles, not sand, no waves and to someone used to the North Atlantic not very inviting.)

You might reverse the trip for the earlier dates - do Amalfi first, then Rome and then Tuscany.
Oct 3rd, 2010, 05:36 PM

If you fly home from Rome then make it last. Or, fly into Naples and home from Rome.
I would pick the earlier dates but start on the AC and end in Rome. One factor is hours of daylite--a month later makes a difference.
Oct 3rd, 2010, 06:36 PM

Agree with Bob: go the beginning of Sept; start in Positano and end in Rome.
Oct 4th, 2010, 07:55 AM

Rome will still be hot in late September, at least it was when we visited a few years ago, 9/18-24.
Oct 4th, 2010, 08:43 AM

Predicting the weather is impossible, but if you look at historical weather records you'll see that September is likely to be warm to hot and October is likely to have more rain. The month-to-month statistical differences are not huge.

www.weatherbase.com

FWIW, we have traveled to Italy (including the AC) the second half of October for many years and have been blessed with nearly perfect weather. I would rather have cool weather with a chance of rain than blazing hot temps, but that's me.
Oct 4th, 2010, 09:09 AM

Weatherbase for Sorrento in Sep says 78 and 64 on average. That is ideal to me.
Oct 4th, 2010, 04:32 PM

We just returned from Tuscany, Amalfi/Capri and Rome (in that order). We were there from September 17 - Oct. 3. The weather was perfect everywhere. I suppose it could be hot or cold another year, or rainy, there is no way to tell. If you want to swim, I would go to AC first, then Tuscany and end in Rome. It is a lovely time of year to visit Italy. On three trips in the past 8 years at the same time of year, we have had great weather.
Oct 4th, 2010, 04:46 PM

Jill, you are as bad as me! You start planning the next trip days after you return. I'm usually home 2-3 days before I am booking airfare for the next trip if it isn't already booked!
Oct 4th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Scatcat - isn't it awful? All I can think about is where I am going to go next. What place do you have planned next?
Oct 4th, 2010, 05:01 PM

I've been in Sept and had hot weather in Rome and good weather elsewhere, but pretty crowded esp along the Amalfi coast.
Oct 4th, 2010, 05:01 PM

I will not return to Europe until April. I don't like cold weather at all. I'm from Texas. Usually in April I re-visit places in Italy and always Nice. I haven't been to Portugal or Turkey. Thinking about those in June. I also have not been to Prague in two years, so that might be an option. I love Bavaria and Austria and I usually end up there for my June trip. In September I am going back to Wengen for my third time. My son traveled with me last month. We stayed in Wengen then flew to Dubrovnik, which we both loved. So that is a "return to" place now. Although next time, we want to see Plitvice Park. I enjoyed Sarajevo, but it is not a priority to return. And I finished off my trip in Nice for five days alone. Love it!
Oct 4th, 2010, 07:42 PM

The latter dates would provide cleaner, less smoggy, hazy air for seeing the beauty of both the A/C coast and the rolling hills of Tuscany. October rain in Rome will clear the air, wash the summer dust from the sidewalks and cause a sparkle on the cobblestone streets. Early October the middle of May are great times to be in Italy. Have a great vacation and a gelato for me.