Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Which Countries Have the Best Loos? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/which-countries-have-the-best-loos-895371/)

PalenQ Jun 17th, 2011 01:31 PM

Which Countries Have the Best Loos?

Public loos or toilets that is....

My choices -

1- The U.K. - anywhere even the tiniest burg will have clean free public WCs - London has some super loos - really that is what they call them - free super loos like the one now on the northside of Trafalgar Square.

Other Top Ones -

Scandinavia
Switzerland
Germany

all these have usually clean if not free public WCs and lots of them.

The bottom of the barrel -

Italy - not only can public toilets be hard to find when you do they are often a real 'let down' - you even still encounter the proverbial hole in the floor in some small caffes - as you may in France.

France - even in homes - nice homes I often come across really smelly WCs - perhaps because the toilet and shower/bathroom are often in separate rooms perhaps this is why they let the WC one slide. Bring a nose plug!
Holland - really those toilets that have no water in them until you flush them and then there is a big plop - so so uncivilized - though the fly picture does help aim in gent's WCs.

anyway what's your take on pubic toilets?

Jeff_Griffith Jun 17th, 2011 02:00 PM

Even on the autobahns, the DE WCs are uber-nice. You will most likely pay for this, but IMO it is a small price to pay for such a basic necessity.

Grassshopper Jun 17th, 2011 02:53 PM

Japan. They are heated.

Australia has an "Exeloo" Plays music for you while you do your business. I got "Up up and away..."

Dayenu Jun 17th, 2011 03:20 PM

Worst toilets are much better for people-watching as they exit

((6))

Pegontheroad Jun 17th, 2011 03:21 PM

Grasshopper: I suspect the loos in Japan are way different in 2011 than they were in 1963-1965 when I was there. One memorable bathroom had little booths--unisex booths--that were about waist high so that your head and shoulders were visible as you sat on the toilet.

nytraveler Jun 17th, 2011 06:36 PM

You have obviously never been to Russia. The public toilets are a disgrace - even in the most major tourist attractions.

1) Filthy
2) often no door on stall
3) often no seat on toilet
4) never any TP - of any quality

And in a couple of place we even encountered non-european toilets - that us - just ceramic holes in the ground.

As for the UK - has anything been done about the TP better used to wrap sandwiches - since it had no absorbency at all? (I recall this from a major museum - and at first thought it was joke. Not only wasn't it Charmin - it wasn't even the cheapest unbranded you would get at a big box store.)

cabovacation Jun 17th, 2011 07:24 PM

I didn't them, but Turkey seems to have many many public toilets. Anyone know what they are like?

deedeedee Jun 17th, 2011 08:33 PM

Funny you should ask ... My sister ( who is an expert on this subject ) insist that the toilets
in Budapest - Prague & VIenna were her favorite.

swandav2000 Jun 17th, 2011 08:55 PM

Best -- Switzerland, with the seat that passes through a cleaner/disinfector after you flush.

Worst -- Korea, with that hole in the ground, even in homes, on the other side of which can be some pigs. (Ok, this was in 1974, hopefully it's better now)

Hooameye Jun 17th, 2011 09:41 PM

"As for the UK - has anything been done about the TP better used to wrap sandwiches - since it had no absorbency at all?"

I think you're referring to Izal or Bronco toilet paper, personally I haven't seen any of that since the 70's.

nukesafe Jun 17th, 2011 10:08 PM

Useed to be called "Jeyes Tissue" in the U.K. Awful stuff that was sort of glazed; only slightly more absorbent than the paper that wraps butter.

Hooameye Jun 17th, 2011 10:17 PM

"Useed to be called "Jeyes Tissue" in the U.K"

Yes that's another one, as I remember the advertising blurb made a lot of the fact that it was "medicated", my kids used to use it for tracing paper (going back a lot of years now).

Kristina Jun 17th, 2011 11:05 PM

I just spent a week in Japan and can confirm they have some of the consistently best (and plentiful) public restrooms anywhere in the world. Toilets in Japan can be anything from a squat toilet or a western style commode loaded with electronic gizmos which will do just about everything for you and to you. One thing that is almost guaranteed is that they will be sparking clean no matter whether it’s in a subway station or fancy hotel lobby. I was surprised at how many had heated seats, even in restaurants and tourist spots.

As for Europe, I've found it to be very hit and miss and have encountered my fair share of squat toilets in both Italy and France (mostly in small cafes and bars). It's very hard to find a public restroom in the middle of a city when you need one, which is why we usually end up in a bar/cafe! OTOH, I absolutely love the AutoGrill stops on Italy's autostrada.

Mucky Jun 17th, 2011 11:05 PM

I remember first visit to Japan, in the office where I was working one day going into the loo and was never really sure which way I should face whilst squatting down.

Since been there and the loos now have as many switches and buttons as my TV set.

Remember a roadside service station in Thailand, which looked clean. Went round the corner and we had to Pi$$ directly into the river.

Muck

KayF Jun 18th, 2011 02:05 AM

Filthiest public toilets I've come across - Greece.

Non-existent public toilets - most of France and most of Italy. Sometimes you just one a quick loo break without buying the cup of coffee!

Best loos - UK (and USA and Australia but I know this is the Europe forum).

Kay

avalon Jun 18th, 2011 02:51 AM

Sometimes you just one a quick loo break without buying the cup of coffee!

Walk into any large hotel. They always have toilets off the recption area

Frances Jun 18th, 2011 03:40 AM

Filthiest ever- jointly
1.Public toilets in Bundoran Donegal about 12 years ago and 2.The Red Fort in Delhi in 2001

farrermog Jun 18th, 2011 04:23 AM

Among the worst would have to be those 1970s long weekend rock festival slap bang middle-of-the-wide-open-paddock toilets after a couple of days of heavy duty use by the inebriated and/ or stoned and the disappearance of the hessian sack privacy screening.

PalenQ Jun 18th, 2011 06:23 AM

"As for the UK - has anything been done about the TP better used to wrap sandwiches - since it had no absorbency at all?>

Ah yeh whilst doing group camping tours in Kent for years during the 70s and 80s the camps invariably had this wax paper they passed off for tp - like many public conveniences too - in Canterbury the camp governor apologized for his using of this wax paper in the loos - saying that if he put in nicer softer TP it would all be 'nicked'

To me anyone who ever thought that that waxy TP was in any way up to the job was daft - indeed like in India your left hand would have been much better - never shake the left hand of an Indian I am told!

Hooameye

Hooameye Jun 18th, 2011 07:24 AM

"Hooameye".........Yes PQ?