Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which city would you choose as a home base?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2001, 08:40 PM
Leilani

If you had 3 weeks in Europe and needed to establish one city as a home base, which one would you choose, and why?

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 01:32 AM
Clare

I would choose London or Frankfurt depending on what your mode of travel will be once you're in europe. If you're planning ground travel (car/train) then I would pick frankfurt. If you'll be flying most places than I would choose London as the air travel from there is marginally cheaper than air travel from frankfurt. <BR>Happy Travels

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 06:29 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Why only one base camp and not three? That will really limit your options for day trips. Europe is bigger than you think. Would you suggest the same to a European coming here? If so, what base city would you suggest.

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 09:35 AM
Leilani

Thanks, Clare, for your input. <BR> <BR>Bob, the reason I'm choosing one home base rather than three is that I'm planning to do a home exchange. And yes, I realize that Europe is a big place. My intent is not to try to see all of Europe in 3 weeks ("It's Tuesday, so this must be Belgium" is not my style) but to concentrate on one area per trip.

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 10:00 AM
Ursula

Leilani: Just a thought:I would choose a town in Switzerland which is nice itself. Why not Lucerne? From there, you can do a lot of daytrips or trips of a couple of days either in Switzerland, but also in Italy, France, Austria, Germany. <BR>

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 07:34 PM
elvira

If you want to see lots of Europe, take Ursula's suggestion. Lots of train connections, you're about center in Europe (excluding Iberia). Lyon is another thought, further from Germany but closer to Spain.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 05:45 PM
Leilani

Ursula and Elvira -- I'm currently talking to a potential exchange partner who lives in Germany, not too far from the Swiss border, so your suggestions were very timely and much appreciated. Thanks.