which city to pick as home base

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help! I'm lost. Our first trip to Spain will be in April '09. We were the high bidder at a charity auction on an RCI one-week timeshare. We can only spend 10-11 days in Spain, so now I a bit regretful that we are tied to a single condo for a week.

So, where should be stay that allows us decent access to other nearby cities, whether by car or rail? Malaga, Madrid, Toledo, Cordoba, Seville, Granada? Barcelona?

We can really just pick one city for most of the trip, then perhaps use a couple of days in Madrid or Tangiers.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 11:21 PM

With only 10 to 11 days I would forget all about Tangiers and concentrate on enjoying Madrid and Barcelona. You’ll also have the opportunity to make several interesting day-trips out of Madrid (Toledo, Segovia, Salamanca and possibly Sevilla) before heading to Barcelona for a few peaceful days before heading home.
Old Sep 25th, 2008, 02:01 AM

I concur w/Robert2533: April's too cool for the coast (i.e., Malaga); I've been to Sevilla for Semana Santa in April and it was very hot. We daytripped from Madrid on 07:30 AVE and returned on 20:00 AVE just in time for dinner (22:30). Easter Sunday is 12 Apr, so Semana Santa Processions will be peaking 9 & 10 Apr.

Sevilla's feria de Primavera should kick off about 26 Apr, if you're there that late in April.

Madrid should be very nice; you can daytrip to Toledo, Segovia, Escorial.

Old Sep 25th, 2008, 04:42 AM

I would pick Seville and as for it being ´very hot´ - not sure I would agree with that! Seville is hot in July and August, not April.
Old Sep 25th, 2008, 04:50 AM

"Other nearby cities"? Can I really be reading this? Yes.

Best advice - go down to the local bookstore and get a map. If your home town doesn't have one, use Google. Familiarise yourself with where places are.

That would be an excellent start.

Lucky you.

If you MUST stay in one place and take day trips then I would recommend Cordoba.

Old Sep 29th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Afterall,

I certainly have lots of maps, and know how to find more on Google. That wasn't the reason for my post.

In some cities there is a lot more for a tourist to do than in others. And other interesting sites are easily accessed, whether by car or rail. Sitting here in California and deciding whether to spend my week in Cordoba, Barcelona, Malaga, or... isn't that easy.

So, all votes and advice gratefully accepted!

Thanks Robert2533: I just dropped Tangiers. You and Nedsireland now have me seriously thinking about cool weather on the coast (e.g. Malaga).
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 07:09 PM

April on the Costa del Sol can be very nice, and Malaga does have its charms, but after a day or two, I'd head up to Granada for at least two nights and then maybe Sevilla. After that it's an open book, but remember 10 to 11 days doesn't allow a whole lot of time to explore Andalucia, let alone Barcelona or Madrid.

Have you read Maribel's Guides? You should find them very useful.

maribelsguides.com
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 07:38 PM

Barcelona is the only answer. I love Seville- but I would choose Barcelona, the beach is nice.
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 07:10 AM

I suspect RCI has a lot more on offer in Andalucia than in either Barcelona or Madrid, and there's plenty to keep you occupied anywhere in Andalucia mixing long and shorter day-trips. Weather should be good too.
The point about getting a map is that, while it's true European countries are small compared with the US as a "country", Spain is one of the bigger ones. Barcelona is near France and over 400 miles from Madrid and a lot further from Andalucia, so not to our way of thinking part of the same trip unless you fly (certainly not a day-trip destination). You could in fact do a day-trip to Tangier if you were on Costa del Sol or Costa de a Luz though.
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 07:23 AM

Seville is a great base, esp in April because of the fine weather

Easy day trips by train to: Jerez de la Frontera - for the fine Sherry Houses and tours and the Andalucian Riding School horse show and practices

Cordoba - really neat old town and famous mosque now a cathedral

Granada - Alhambra is so fantastic and the warren of narrow lanes around it

Ronda - gorgeous city

and fantastic Seville