Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which city, couple cities to visit with 3 children 1 1/2 to 7, for a week?

Old Sep 13th, 2013, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read several threads on the forum, all informative. We are committed to travel from US to Europe next summer for 2 weeks. One week travelling as family of 5 (ages 1 1/2 to 7 1/2) and wife and I, second week in a villa somewhere in Italy with friends living in Europe for a few years. I'll acknowledge travel with 3 young children will be complex, and they won't "remember anything", but we plan to visit 2 cities, likely with a couple day trips outside those cities. We're hoping this begins their learning to be citizens of the world.

Any suggestions about which cities would have interesting sites for young children, where we can have an engaged time? We thought London, for example, where the kids would love to see Buckingham, Windsor castles, go through mazes, do a double-decker bus, etc. Paris is kind of the easy answer for other city, but we're thinking someplace less, um, typical (not Paris, Rome, Madrid). We were wondering about Munich with day trip to Salzburg, or maybe Prague or Vienna. A bit concerned about food choices in Prague, Vienna for young, sometimes picky-eating kids.
Old Sep 13th, 2013, 09:00 PM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Vienna is compact enough to manage with young children. The city has the double-decker bus, horse carriage rides, zoo, the maze and labyrinth at Schönbrunn, a nice aquarium (inside a former flak tower!), the Prater amusement park with rides for all ages, the ZOOM children's museum, and the interactive House of Music among its family-friendly activities. Riding the trams can be entertaining for young visitors, as well.

As far as food choices go, most of the tourist-friendly restaurants offer kid's menus with the standard American "kid fare:"huhner schnitzel (Wiener Schnitzel prepared with chicken and is akin to a large, flat, chicken nugget); there are dozens of frankfurters and wursts; pommes frites are everywhere; and the grocery markets sell a gazillion kind of yogurt treats for children. Ice cream is everywhere, too.
Old Sep 14th, 2013, 07:36 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
In my experience children will find their fun anywhere. Buy them an expensive toy and it's the packaging that fascinates them. I suggest you look for an apartment to give them space and to address any eating issues with the kitchen in a compact city that will intrigue the parents. They will be happy if you are and at these ages I think it'll be more appropriate to try to gear the location to the adults while just keeping in mind the distances for small legs. A nice neighborhood location in most smaller city centers would be good. Dijon, for instance. Or an even smaller town if you plan to have a car.
Old Sep 14th, 2013, 07:39 AM

Vienna would be a good choice. Think about Budapest or Cracow with Salt Mine in Wieliczka.
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks fourfortravel. That's good info on Vienna, and more than I found searching articles on the Internet. I save articles from several travel mags, but have never kept articles with this kind of trip in mind.
Again, we accept that a Europe trip with 3 young children will not be simple. Nevertheless, we would like to explore some towns or cities that will allow children to experience European lifestyle, but with some focus on places and activities that will keep their interest. Would love to hear other suggestions.
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 12:56 PM

With only two weeks, and young children/jet lag to be considered, I would consider staying in Italy. Italy is a relatively huge country. You can first go to a larger city (Rome) or a smaller city (Bologna) and then head over to your villa (wherever that may be).

Otherwise, I say go to whichever country you and your spouse are interested in. I would care more about the logistics of traveling between the countries (duration, distance, cost, etc).
The 7.5 year old will experience a lot regardless of where you go, and the younger ones will not really care. We currently live in Munich and love it. Other cities you have considered are also great - Vienna, Prague, London, etc. You can't go wrong.

Regarding food choices, well, it's only two weeks. So even if they don't really like the food, they'll get by on ice cream, bread (pretzels or baguettes or whatever), some pizza, pasta, etc.
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

eluckhardt- hah! I agree, eating 'healthy' is modifiable for a week or two. We have heard Munich would be interesting for kids and for us. Any suggestions for specific activities? I am also enamored with pics of Salzburg, and think it would be a pretty place to visit; and I expect we will all be taken with the old European city ambiance. And it seems like we can do a day trip from Munich without packing up and moving.
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Any thoughts other than Vienna or Munich?
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 08:32 PM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Maybe Berlin? The kindercafes would be ideal for your children. There's also Legoland Berlin, Miniature World, a Zoo, plus a bunch of museums...
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 01:13 PM
jgg

I agree with what a few others have said about picking what you are most interested in. Your 7.5 year old will enjoy most anything, and the younger kids will be a long for the ride!! We have traveled with our kids quite a bit, although they were a bit older than yours when we started. We have been to all the cities, except for Vienna, that you mentioned and my kids favorites were London and Rome. If you are going to do two cities in that week I agree with what someone else said - pick places that are easy to get to from each other - that would probably be London and Paris. Personally, I would recommend staying in one place for the entire time, and I would choose London. There is so much to see and do there you and the kids will not get bored in a week. Moving from one location to the next is always the most difficult and a lot of work with the three kids. I would rent an apt so you have more room.

Here are some links to our trips to the places you mentioned:

http://www.fromhometoroam.com/2012/05/rome-2005/
http://www.fromhometoroam.com/2012/05/a-week-in-paris/
http://www.fromhometoroam.com/2012/05/london/
http://www.fromhometoroam.com/catego...ublic-austria/
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 01:53 PM

Barcelona.

It is a very beautiful city, and very kid friendly. It has a very interesting Aquarium for the kids, the weather is warm and sunny, the food is simple and that means that kids will eat it easier. Also, it has great museums and Gaudi buildings.
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 02:08 PM

Is this a first to Europe? If yes, why would you want to miss the best it has to offer.

There's a reason Paris, London, and Rome are considered the "well beaten path".

Hypothetically, if you lived in Europe and were visiting the US for the first time, would you want to avoid NYC, San Francisco, New Orleans or other places that are (deservedly) tourist magnets??

That said, all the suggestion so far are good choices for children. As are most places that have lot's of children living in them.
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 07:13 AM

Would like to add that some of these places, while fantastic cities to visit, are very hilly and if you are pushing a stroller will be difficult - also cobblestone sidewalks will not help. Budapest and Prague are this way.

I also would suggest you stay in one city. London would be a great pick but consider that it will take at least an hour to get from central London to Windsor Castle. After touring, playing, eating and returning, it is a whole day with three kids.

One idea might be to take the eurostar from London to Calais France and stay in one of the coastal towns in Normandy. You would need a car rental but the driving in France is easy. Day trips to castles and ramparts can be done without a lot of hassle.
Old Sep 21st, 2013, 06:10 AM

OK- In my humble opinion, you have been given some great ideas. Any of these cities would be terrific places to visit with or w/o children. But, I think the two biggest questions are- have you and your wife traveled internationally before? and what type of travelers are you? (go with the flow, strict itinerary every day, speak foreign language?) Any way, if you have not travelled internationally I would choose London. (Go to the Horse guard parade for sure). If you have, and you are comfortable with a certain level of confusion and bumps in the road, then pick any other destination mentioned. (Small bump in the road story- my ex took his wife and m-i-l to a French whore house and ordered lunch---there were several minutes of silence before the truth sunk in!)
Old Sep 21st, 2013, 07:56 AM

Rome would be hot in the summer. I would just stay in one place if you have only a week as a family. London or Paris are good options.
Munich and the surrounding are would be good with kids. The older ones would enjoy Ludwig's castles and/or the walled cities on the Romantic Road as well as Salzburg.
Old Sep 21st, 2013, 10:54 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd like to slip in another word here for smaller places as only big cities seem to be being considered. For instance Dijon, Beaune, any number of places in the So. of France and other countries. Smaller places, in my experience, are more relaxed for your sakes and your children's. Have an apartment for a week, see the same tradespeople for your shopping every day who will recognize you by your second visit and your children will recognize them. Do "normal" things, your children can play with other children in a park, and on and on. I don't know why the emphasis on major cities if it's truly a trip for the children as well.
Old Sep 26th, 2013, 01:58 AM

Hi,

There are many activities in Summer holidays in France. If you got one week with your kids, why not visiting 'Feu de Peu' where is 2 hrs south of Paris, it is an attraction park of Galo-Romain history. They god great spectacles. A must visit site with kids if you have time. Stay 2 days there would be enough.

http://www.puydufou.com/

And spend 2-3 days in the south of France, the Provence and Avigneon, the hometown of Lavanda. The Lavanda season might be over, however they got a lot of local circuits, such as wine tasting.

Down to Nice, at Nime where there is a huge aquarium centre : Marineland where you can spend the whole day with lot of joys!

http://www.marineland.fr/index.php?lang=en

From Nice to Italy is very close.

Happy vacation !
Volte
Old Sep 26th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the substantive replies! My wife and I have been to Europe a number of times, although none of the children have. I am more adventurous, she more drawn to the familiar (she spent 6 months in London many years ago, and has done brief trips to several European capitals). Yes, maybe we hit the well-beaten path this time, but we have also been considering other options.

jgg: wow! Just visited your blog, and read the week-in-paris trip report. You are my soul-mate; er, well, for travel anyway. Thanks for all the exhaustive info you reported. Great ideas for family travel; Normandy looked amazing. Michael will be great in a few years. Will read other reports later.

GoSox: Thanks for the info on Budapest and Prague. Sounds like those will need to wait a few years...

lynclarke: best whorehouse story I've ever heard, and that can be related in polite company!

Vttraveler: thanks for the specific suggestions around Munich. Exactly what I've been hoping for. Munich/ Salzburg remains on the short list.

Mmd Perdu: I agree about small places, and thanks for the specific suggestions. My Italian is good enough to get around in small towns. My French from HS and college has long-faded, and only provided for an amusing cab ride from the palace in Monaco back to the hotel (Il pleut, beaucoup was what I could remember from language lessons, and it was relevant). But future trips will very likely include the French countryside.

Since the youngest will only be 1 1/2, and requiring a stroller, and yet we must keep the interest of 5 1/2 and 7 1/2 year olds, we will likely only go to 1, maybe 2 cities. London and Paris continue to be suggested here, and by friends, but in subsequent years we will continue to venture out. Other suggestions will be maintained in the 'travel file' swirling in my brain!