Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

which cities worths to visit in the north of Germany?

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 09:15 AM
wagner

I'm planning to visit north of Germany from Frankfurt by train (German rail pass). I have 12 days and I don't know how many day train passes would be necessary, nether the itinerary. Anyone could help me?

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 12:40 PM
Get In The Program

wagner,

Get a map, see where you might want to go, do a search on Fodors and Frommers. Get a general plan. Come back here with specific questions.

DO SOME RESEARCH ON YOUR OWN.

GITP

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 02:00 PM
Russ

Some places I have enjoyed north of Frankfurt which you can look into:

Hameln
Rinteln (and nearby Bückeburg, with its cool palace)
Heidesheim
Hannoversch Münden
Lübeck
Celle
Goslar
Kassel
Plön (resort town surrounded by lakes)

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 03:39 PM
wagner

Thanks for the attention.

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 03:53 PM
nintopia77

I'll tell you the same thing I tell everyone going to N. Germany-go to Andernach!!! It is a small town on the Rhine River. It is only about 75 miles north west of Frankfurt and is totally worth your time. It's very relaxing, small, and ultra non-touristy. My favourite part of Germany by far. Have fun!!!

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 04:11 PM
Dresden

How come Dresden is not mentioned by anyone? It is a must! I have been all around the world, Dresden is the most gorgeous place. It is in E. Germany, 1 hour by train down from Berlin. Palaces, museums, opera house, ... The whole city is along a river. It was the city of the royal family. Everything is marble, gold, ... The city has been under massive reconstruction. (I was there in 1997. At least until then.) Unlike Rome or many other European cities - if something was bombed during the war, too bad, you just get the leftover to see. But in Dresden, you get the money worth. Try to get a ticket for an opera. I am not an opera person. But that was truly something more than what I could imagine.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 05:28 AM
CharlieB

Don't miss Lubeck! Hamburg is also a delightful city. On your way north stop in Rudesheim and Cologne. I agree that Dresden is spectacular, but hardly suitable for a trip to Northern Germany. I also prefer staying in Mainz rather than Frankfurt - they are equi-distant from the airport

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 05:51 AM
kyle

Try the island of Ruggen in the former East Germany. It is great and you should go before it gets too expensive. Great beaches and dunes!