Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which? Castello di Spaltenna, Locanda del Amoroso or?????

Apr 9th, 2003, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Ciao!
Thanks to all you posters for your terrific suggestions throughout the Italy posts. We're going back for our 3rd trip to Italy in 2005 to celebrate our 25th anniversary. (I wish we could go every year!) We want to revisit some old friends: Rome, Tuscany, Venice. Your posts have convinced me to stay at the Del Senato and the Accademia (Rome & Venice respectively). But I'm torn about where to stay in Tuscany. 3 or 4 nights in one place. Hopefully a fabulous place. Our last excursion in Tuscany was for two whole weeks in a fabulous apartment in Montisi (a teeeny hill town next to Trequanda). We used it as a base to travel to every hill town in the area and then someienza, Montalcino, Montepulciano, St. Antimo, Cortona, Lk Trasiemeno, Assisi, Sienna, Monterriggione... Have been thinking about staying at the Locanda del Amoroso. But then read Bobthenavigator's suggestion of the Castello Spaltenna and I started to think about going back to Sienna and also exploring a new area: Chianti! But Pienza! But San Biagio! Oh dear. I want it all and can't decide.
Help? Suggestions? Votes? I know, I know... these are great problems to have! Looking forward to your ideas!
Apr 9th, 2003, 11:45 AM

Ask me again after our trip in Oct. when we will be staying at 2 new places that look very promising and less expensive--both 3 stars at about $140.
I do love both of your choices but hate to pay the $200 plus.
Apr 9th, 2003, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Bob,
Thanks! I will definitely ask you again later. Since we don't travel that much, we do want our hotel to be special. But at the same time, if our hotels didn't cost so much, we'd travel more frequently. Sigh.
Apr 12th, 2003, 05:38 PM

We stayed at Locanda Del Amoroso and it is lovely, but you might consider LaChiusa at Monetfollonico. I liked the room we had at La Chiusa more than Locanda Del Amoroso. But if you go to LaChiusa you must ask for one of the rooms with the jacuzzi.
The jacuzzi, which is huge, is in a separate room and has a woodburning fireplace.It was wonderful. Unless you are going in AUgust, in which the case the last thing you want is a woodburning fireplace.
My husband and I both agree that the food at LaChiusa is spectacular.
Apr 13th, 2003, 05:19 AM

Bob, what are the names of the two new places that you've found?
Apr 13th, 2003, 02:33 PM

Buona Sera from bella Firenze! We just got in today from the countryside. We stayed at La Costa in Montefolloncio, at La Costa. While it is molto bella,especially the view, the owners did not make us seem welcome. Up the street, literally, was La Chuisa and the folks were so friendly. I'd recommend that over La Costa. the prices seem simalar as well. Also, let me recommend 13 Gobbi in Montefollonico for dinner. We were there last night and enjoyed the meal tremendously. More of a report on our return. _Ciao!