Which Canary Island Should I Visit?

Old Jan 2nd, 2022, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Canary Island Should I Visit?

I was thinking about visiting the Canary Islands next April, but I'm really torn between Lanzarote and Fuerteventura.
I do enjoy hiking and like being surrounded by cool landscapes and architecture, which is why I thought about Lanzarote first. But what about beaches? I'm guessing Fuerteventura has the best ones...? I also don't care much about nightlife but nice restaurants are a big plus.

Which one should I pick? I'd love to hear some suggestions

Thanks
Old Jan 3rd, 2022, 01:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My own favourite of the two is Fuerteventura in the Corralejo area. We've been to most of the Canary islands and have found that the restaurants are good on all of them, as is the walking available. You catch a ferry over to Lanzarote from Corralejo and visit Timanfaya, the live volcanic area of the island where you can see and feel the volcanic heat under your feet.

Lanzarote is smaller than Fuerteventura and the food is IMO better on the larger island.
Old Jan 3rd, 2022, 02:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot!
Yeah I think that's a great idea. I can actually spare 7-8 days for the entire vacation, so maybe I could squeeze in more day-trips from Fuerteventura? What do you think? Is there some other activity you would suggest?
Old Jan 3rd, 2022, 02:17 AM

Fuerteventura is fairly large. It's more than an hour by car from the airport to the main southern city. If you only have seven days I'd limit myself to two stops at most. Most think the best beaches are in the south but near the beaches you won't find any cool architecture
Old Jan 4th, 2022, 12:22 AM
Original Poster

What if I could extend the trip to 10 days? Would 5/6 days in Fuerteventura and 4/5 days in Lanzarote be enough?
I guess I underestimated how big these islands are.

Thanks
Old Jan 4th, 2022, 03:04 AM

10 days split between the two islands would be worthwhile and give you the chance to see what there is to see on both places. Of the resorts on Fuerteventura, I much prefer Corralejo, while on Lanzarote I'd go for Arrecife. Corralejo is not central on the island, but I find that Rosario is not to our taste. Arrecife is a great place to stay.
Old Jan 4th, 2022, 04:50 AM

istanbul kuşadası..
Old Jan 4th, 2022, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rubicund View Post
10 days split between the two islands would be worthwhile and give you the chance to see what there is to see on both places. Of the resorts on Fuerteventura, I much prefer Corralejo, while on Lanzarote I'd go for Arrecife. Corralejo is not central on the island, but I find that Rosario is not to our taste. Arrecife is a great place to stay.
Great! I'll look into those areas on Booking. Thanks a lot!
Old Jan 4th, 2022, 07:36 AM

I would choose La Palma. It is my fav island
Old Jan 4th, 2022, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Susan_McCarthy1977 View Post
I would choose La Palma. It is my fav island
Mine too, but I'm not sure about visiting it so soon after the volcano eruption. Quite apart from the destruction of homes, businesses and landscape a lot of infrastructure is damaged, and holiday homes are being used by the displaced. I know they need the tourist income again, but perhaps not yet.
Old Jan 5th, 2022, 01:07 AM

La Palma is in a mess at the moment, with lots of people displaced from their homes, infrastructure in ruins and tourists are, according to a friend who lives there, not likely to be welcomed at the moment.
Old Jan 5th, 2022, 06:54 AM

Oops sorry....I didn't remember the volcano eruption. I wish the best to the local people there.