Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which beach in Crete - Elafonisi or Falasarno? And what is Ballos?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2008, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All - I am basing myself in Chania for 3 1/2 days in Crete and will only have time to visit one beach while there.

Can anyone tell me which you prefer - Falasarna or Elafonisi? How far are each of them by car or bus from Chania?

Also, would you say one of these beaches has more interesting villages/sights to see on the way than the other??

Finally, what is Ballos? I've seen some pictures of this online and it looks beautiful...Thought I might see it on the way to one of these beaches, but not sure where it's located.

Thanks for the advice!

P.S. How easy is it to drive in Crete? Are the roads to these beaches good? Thanks!
Old May 18th, 2008, 07:43 AM

Faslassarna for fewer people; and more ruins. You pass Falassarna to get to Elafonisi, which is maybe an hour farther on.

I couldn't work out where Ballos was, but that's because it's often spelt Mpalos. I lifted this from Explorecrete

"Mpalos Lagoon (Sunbeds -, Restaurant -, Hotel -, exposed to wind:NO), one of the best beaches all over Greece. White-pinkish sand and broken sea-shells. The water in the lagoon is very shallow and warm but the seabed is muddy and sometimes there is a bad odour. There is a primitive cafe here if you fancy a cold frapé coffee or a beer. People occasionally camp here but there are no trees and no shade. Unfortunately there is a very bad tar problem, so be careful of where you step.

You may also swim out of the lagoon. The water is deep, crystal-clear, much colder and good for snorkelling.

You may access the beach:

- on foot from Kalyvianni village in 3 hours.

- follow the dirt road from kalyvianni village to the parking place and then walk for 15 minutes. The condition of the road is not good and it may prove a serious problem for some cars.

- by boat from Kissamos. The boat departs at 09:30 and returns at 16:00. It is the most convenient solution and you will also visit the Gramvoussa Venetian fortress at the island of Imeri Gramvoussa. The disadvantage is that you will miss the incredible view of the Lagoon from the parking place, unless you climb the steps for 15 minutes."

Interetsing. I must try that, next time
Old May 22nd, 2008, 02:24 PM

I've been to both Elafonisi and Falasarna although my visits were spaced well apart (Elafonisi in 1996 and Falasarna in 2007).

My vote is for Falasarna - beautiful beach with less people as the other poster stated. We drove from Chania and I can't remember driving time but it was probably around 1.5 hrs - I believe it was under 2 hrs for sure.

Easy, well marked drive. We followed directions from our hotel in Chania and when descending the hill approaching the beach follow the signs for "Big Beach". This places you in the middle of the beach (not at either end where it seemed more crowded).

Falasarna is probably one of my all time favourite beaches - just beautiful.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 03:37 PM

What is this passion by first-timers to Crete to "Base themselves" in one place and drive drive drive in order to do day trips...

Every Crete trip I've had I stay in at least 3 places in 6+ days ... it's the way to see the most without back- tracking.

Why not leave Chania after 2 nights, and go STAY in Falasarna -- it's downright gorgeous. If I could attach a photo to this I would... actually has surf! You look out to sea, the next landfall is Spain.

A hidden gem to stay in -- Hotel Petalida on a bluff above the beach is a family-run place with a separate unit with patios facing the sunset --bliss! And the inn owners are fishermen & feed you that night what they caught that day. Google it. And just 200 yards down the road, a really neat Hellenistic ruin with a bath-house of all things.

When you stay over, you don't have to rush get back in your car and drive AWAY from the sunset. Stay, relax, have dinner, spend a nite, then drive back and take your plane. It
Old May 23rd, 2008, 01:58 AM

This is the website for the boats running to Gramvousa and Balos:
www.gramvousa.com
It has pictures and descriptions.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! This is great info...

Does anyone know how long it takes to travel from Chania to Elafonisi?

Is it possible to do both of these beaches in 1 day??

Also, do you know where Ballos/Mpalos is in relation to Falasarna and Elafonisi?

I will also consider staying in Falasarna - since I am a first timer, I didn't know this was even an option...All of the guide books seem to recommend doing day trips from Chania, which is the reason why I have planned things out that way. But, if there are no cancellation penalties with my hotel, I will check out the hotel you mentioned. Great idea...
Old May 25th, 2008, 05:13 AM

I just saw your response, and your query about how far it is from one of these beaches to another.

Well, all I can tell you is that I use a road map when I plan my trips to Crete, and I advise you to do the same. Do you have a good one? Here is a good online map (click on it and it gets Huuuge). It shows EXACTLY the distance in Kms from place to place.
http://66.29.86.75/crete-maps/Crete-eot.png

Here is also a Distance chart for various Crete points, and also a guide to Driving in Crete (which points out that many roads cannot be traveled at Speed, and indeed you can only go about 50Km (30 Mph).
http://www.west-crete.com/road-distances-crete.htm
http://www.cretetravel.com/Driving_in_Crete.ht

I found all these helps by the simple method of online Google research. Google is wonderful!

PS: Why in the world would someone want to do TWO wonderful beaches in one day?!?!? In order to add them to a "been there/done that" list? Why not pick one and actually enjoy it!!

Have fun in Crete and for heaven's sake don't rush around! It defeats the whole purpose of a holiday.

Old May 25th, 2008, 06:55 PM

We were in in Chania for 3 1/2 days last September and spent one day on the Gramvousa/Balos tour. We took a cab to Kissamos port, bought tickets, and enjoyed our day at the beach. Balos is gorgeous. Have fun on your trip.