Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Which ballet in St Petersburg (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/which-ballet-in-st-petersburg-846921/)

jodo Jun 27th, 2010 10:59 AM

Which ballet in St Petersburg

We are heading to St. Petersburg (via cruise ship)...Will be there 2 days..(not enough time, I know)....As part of the White Nights Festival there are two ballet performances while we are there Swan Lake and Sleeping Beauty....While we enjoy watching ballet, we are not "oficianados"...Not sure which one would be a better choice (I know this is subjective, but I'm throwing it out there anyway!)
Thanks Fodorites!

lincasanova Jun 27th, 2010 11:20 AM

Are they both at the Marinsky?

MissPrism Jun 27th, 2010 11:44 AM

If you are not regular ballet goers, I think that Sleeping Beauty might be a better bet. It's fun, has quite a lot of fireworks and a happy ending.
To (almost) quote Bob Hope. There aren't many laughs in Swan Lake.

lincasanova Jun 27th, 2010 11:46 AM

Great answer.. however, if Swan Lake is atthe Marinksy, I much prefer that theater and the dancers than at the summer productions at Hermitage.

Nywoman Jun 27th, 2010 12:14 PM

Whatever is at the Marinsky go. Just being in that theatre is such a wonderful experience, not to be missed.

UNCalum Jun 27th, 2010 12:22 PM

Definitely choose the Marinsky. If both are there and your interest in ballet isn't intense, you will enjoy Sleepy Beauty more!

laverendrye Jun 27th, 2010 03:12 PM

Earlier this month we had the interesting experience of seeing Swan Lake in St. Petersburg two nights in a row.

We were in St. Petersburg to begin a river cruise to Moscow with Viking, and a few weeks in advance booked seats at the Mariinsky to see Swan Lake. (In case you're not aware, the Mariinsky's name was changed to the Kirov during the Soviet era and you may know it by that name).

The previous night had been advertised as a ballet or opera evening, included as part of the cruise. When we arrived on board, it turned out that the evening was a performance of Swan Lake at the Hermitage. As it was paid for, we went, partly to see the historic Hermitage Theatre.

Needless to say, there was a vast difference in the quality of the productions. The Hermitage Theatre has a fairly small stage (it was built for 18thC opera), so the ballet company and pick-up orchestra were small. The soloists were OK, but just. The Mariinsky company is of course one of the best in the world and the superb performance justified their reputation. Moreover the historic theatre was worth the visit by itself. Tickets were surprisingly inexpensive--front row seats in the First Gallery were 2,000RU.

The choreography in the two productions is quite similar, but the level of performance at the Mariinsky is leagues beyond the Hermitage production. Interestingly, both performances have a happy ending as the evil Rothbart is destroyed and Siegfried and Odette live happily ever after.

I don't think that the Mariinsky is doing Sleeping Beauty this summer so it would be Swan Lake. The opportunity to see a performance at the Mariinsky, even if you are not a ballet fan, is one not to be missed. Go.

nytraveler Jun 27th, 2010 05:21 PM

You go to see the Kirov - whichever they are performing.

jodo Jun 28th, 2010 07:15 AM

Wouldn't u know it...the Kirov will have a pianist performing the night we are there....we like classical music, but thought the ballet would be more interesting. The ballets are being performed in other theatres (not the Hermitage) This is a white nights festival, so there are a lot of things going on....Mozart at the Kirov? or ballet at one of the other venues

lincasanova Jun 28th, 2010 08:56 AM

I think nytraveler said it.. the venue is beautifully regal.

travfirst Jun 29th, 2010 10:17 AM

Jodo, what’s the name of that other theatre? If by any chance it’s Mikhailovsky Opera and Ballet Theatre, I would definitely recommend it. It’s one of the best in St Petersburg: http://tickitnow.com/?p=theatre&view=3
Also check if the Mozart concert at the main Mariinsky theatre, as they have performances at the other halls.

laverendrye Jul 2nd, 2010 10:55 PM

You could also try the Alexandrinsky Theatre which is doing quite a few performances of Swan Lake this summer.