Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Which ATM systems are available in Italy?

Which ATM systems are available in Italy?

Oct 9th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Which ATM systems are available in Italy?

Just found out today that my bank is changing their system from Cirrus to Interlink. Anyone know if the ATM's in Rome & Venice will accept that system?

Naturally, this happens now! We leave on the 25th. Probably not enough time to get a new ATM card from a bank that uses Cirrus!!

THanks, Julie
Oct 9th, 2006, 07:20 AM

Wow, does anyone even check anymore? I recently returned from 2+ weeks in Italy and I don't know what system my ATM debit card uses, but I used about 20 different ATM's all over the country, including Rome & Venice, and never had a problem.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.
Oct 9th, 2006, 07:22 AM

Is your card also a debit card? Does it have a Visa (or possibly MasterCard) symbol somewhere on it? These probably mean more than whether it is Cirrus or Interlink.

I'm not familiar with Interlink, but a quick google seems to indicate it is a US service only.
Oct 9th, 2006, 07:24 AM

Delayed reaction -- what do you mean that 16 days probably isn't enough time to get another ATM card? Most banks can open an account and issue you an ATM card the same day -- within a few days at most.
Oct 9th, 2006, 08:30 AM

Agreed. I lost my ATM Visa (actually it got switched with another customer's at a NY restaurant) and my bank gave me a replacement that day, on the spot, in a branch.

Oct 9th, 2006, 09:03 AM
MaureenB

My Visa debit cards have these logos on the back: FastBank Free, Plus, and Co-Op Network. They have all worked in Rome, Venice and other European cities. I think it's the Plus system that is most prevalent. You should have time to get a new card, if needed. Good luck and safe travels.
>-

Oct 9th, 2006, 09:10 AM

Gekko is right, Julie. I've recently returned from 5 weeks in Italy, and I surely used my ATM card in everything from the Bank of Sicilia to Trieste, to Grado, and every which ATM in Rome, Florence, Venice, Sorrento, Naples with no problems whatsoever-I would not worry about getting another ATM card.
Oct 9th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your responses. Just wish this had not happened because I don't have the time to mess with it. But anyway -

Again, called the bank, but this time the 800 # from back of card instead of local main office. Found out...

Yes, they are changing to interlink (which is indeed U.S. only), but will also have VISA Plus service, which is international. Gave me website; checked it out; & tons of ATM's where we will be, just like last year. So....

appears everything is OK with our ATM situation - as long as we get the cards in time!! Was told mine "should" get here by end of this week & hubby's sometime next week....fingers crossed!

Thanks again, Julie
Oct 9th, 2006, 02:18 PM

NeoPatrick,
What is on the front of the card has little bearing on where it is accepted. The networks that accept the card are listed on the back. See http://www.atmmarketplace.com/news_story_4504.htm

Henry
Oct 9th, 2006, 02:36 PM

We just got back from Italy, and interlink was there. Also, something for you to do is call your bank and credit card companies that you will be using while in Italy and let them know that you will be over in Italy and the dates so they don't stop your card. I met a couple from the U.S. while over in Italy and they were having to go through so many hoops to get money because they didn't do that and there cards were on hold.
Oct 9th, 2006, 02:38 PM

Henry, my comment had more to do with the idea that if there is a visa (or MC symbol) on the card (front or back) then it is more likely to work in foreign ATMs. I've posted before about the increasing problem of ATM ONLY cards without such a symbol that will NOT be accepted by SOME foreign banks that use Visa services for all their ATM transactions.
Oct 9th, 2006, 07:29 PM

I don't know that it has anything to do with there being a logo on the front of the card. My card uses VISA services for their transactions, and it doesn't have any VISA logo on the front because it's not a debit card. VISA does a variety of financial services.
Oct 9th, 2006, 07:34 PM

Christina, there are some banks, particularly in Italy -- Deutschebank for one -- which will NOT accept an ATM only card which does NOT have a Visa symbol or affiliation. Your bank may still accept your card -- but some banks will NOT. My previous ATM ONLY card which worked most places would not work at Deutschebanks in Italy after 2004. My replacement ATM/debit card with a VISA symbol did work at those same banks in 2006 where the ATM ONLY card did not work the year before.
Oct 9th, 2006, 08:44 PM

NeoPatrick,
My point was that all that matters is what network the ATM is on and what network your card (bank)is on. The networks are listed on the back. The biggies are plus and cirrus which for most purposes are visa and mastercard. Having a master or visa card logo will not matter if the network for the ATM and ATM card do not match.
I understand what happened to you but that does not mean that ATM only cards are not accepted. A transaction can fall for many reasons. In Munich I used a Duetschebank ATM and withdrew 500 euro, I didn't realize that my wife had just tried the same machine and failed. We both had used an ATM only card on the same account (it is on the plus network).
Oct 11th, 2006, 04:20 PM

Has anyone been able to use a Cirrus debit or ATM card in Venice?
My card is Cirrus and I cannot find any Cirrus ATM's listed for Venice, only Visa and Visa Plus. I'm leaving next Wed. and am concerned. The only place I have ever had trouble using the card was Costa Rica andd did not anticipate a problem in Venice.
Oct 11th, 2006, 04:49 PM

Jabo-don't worry about looking it up, I am SURE you can use Cirrus in Venice-Venice ATMs have every possible bank link-the ones I use on the Strada Nova in Cannaregio have Cirrus, I know.
Oct 11th, 2006, 07:32 PM

Jabo, I used my cirrus network ATM/check card (with MC logo) everywhere in Europe and in Japan this year and last. No problems, and my bank is a small, hometown, 3-town affair. I call them before I leave to unlock the card and just check on the status of the network.

(Funny, but true: once I forgot to call, and a charge appeared from Somewhere Else other than our town. The woman who was working on incoming EFT's had spoken to me before about my son's account, remembered the name. She mentioned it to the bank president, whose child was in our school carpool at the time, and his secretary called my husband's office to find out if I was in Europe!)

Oct 12th, 2006, 10:01 PM

Henry,Why I asked is that I had previously checked the MC/Cirrus site and then called Cirrus, but both site and Cirrus said that there were no listings for Cirrus in Venice. That seemed unlikely since MC is used there, so I also checked with my bank agent today who said ok.
Thanks to all for your help.
Oct 12th, 2006, 10:24 PM

jabo,
You have to type in Venezia to get results.

Search this Thread