Which area to stay in when in Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2015, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are coming into the port at Civitavecchia on Aug. 15th. I heard about a van that will bring us into Rome. Can anyone help me with which van (bus) to take? We will be there until the 18th and then to the airport (FCO). Suggestions for a hotel? Like everyone else, reasonable (under 130.00) but safe & clean. Looking at Rick Steves suggestions, but unsure of which area to narrow it down to.
We are aware, now, that the 15th is a holiday, Feast of the Assumption. What do we need to know about that? Is it good (something special to see) or bad because places will be closed? Any and all info greatly appreciated!
Old Jul 28th, 2015, 09:38 AM

How many is "we" and is 130 in $ or euros? What are you expecting for that money? Are you willing to give on amenities - AC, elevator, private bath - since you are very late making reservations? Are you wiling to stay a little outside the center?

I would do a search here on budget properties for Rome to see what is recommended. Ideally you would want to stay in the historic center (near the Pantheon or Pza Navona) but I'm not sure if that is still possible with your budget.
Old Jul 28th, 2015, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

We, is two of us and I was hoping to find something at around $130-150.00 US. I was under the impression that Aug. was not a prime tourist time so I slacked off in getting a reservation. I may have made too many assumptions. What I meant by nothing fancy was no work out, breakfast, beautiful meeting areas, but AC, elevator and private bath are all something we would want.
Old Jul 28th, 2015, 10:46 AM

I just had a quick look on booking.com for your dates. Seems there are quite a few options in the areas nytraveler mentions with AC and elevator. Stick to that general area and look at reviews. Have fun!
Old Jul 28th, 2015, 12:05 PM

Private bath as well in that budget should not be a problem. Have no idea why nytraveler made those remarks. (She usually boasts she never goes to anyplace hot in August, certainly not Rome. Just guessing?) Take a look on venere.com as well as booking.com, and also for the areas of the Spanish Steps and Campo de'Fiore. August 15 should not be much of a problem, although some restaurants and shops might be closed. But for any sight you really want to see, you should always check the particulars. Rick Steves usually has up to date info, plus most places have websites.