Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which area of Paris to stay for 3 nights?

Nov 1st, 2000, 02:32 AM
Kimerley

We will be in Paris for 3 nights in July 2001. Can you suggest the most convenient area to stay in. We want to do the usual sites. Will be arriving by Plane or train from Venice.
I was in Paris for the day Sept 1998, caught the eurostar over from London and loved it.
My brother and I walked from the station stopping frequently to eat!
Managed to squash in a visit to the Lourve, looked at the Eiffel tower and soaked up the atmosphere.

Nov 1st, 2000, 05:25 AM
elaine

Hi
Stay in one of the single-digit arrondissements, numbers 1-9, with most recommendations for charm and convenience going to numbers 5,6, and 7, although I personally think that the first also can't be beat for convenience to sightseeing.
I have a Paris file; if you'd like to see it, email me.

Nov 1st, 2000, 05:28 AM
Bob Brown

Hi Kimerley. I don't think there is any one answer to your question. A lot of people will give you an opinion that fits their needs and prejudices. The outlying districts to the east central Paris are perhaps ones that you can rule out. Even so, the relatively "way out" 19th Arr has the City of Science and Industry.
Most people opt for one of the districts that touch on the Seine. So anything within your price range in the 5th, 6th, 7th, or 4th Arrs are candidates.
A lot of it depends on what you want to do in the evenings. Some people like the 7th because many of the hotels there are along residential streets while others think that is a "dead" place to be. Some extoll the virtues of the Latin Quarter, while others think it is too noisy, too hectic, etc.
My finding has been that no matter where you stay within the "central" areas, you are close to one attraction, but some distance away from another one.
The Montparnasse area, along Boulevard Montparnasse, Raspail, Rue Des Rennes, Rue de Vaugirard tends to be alive at night. I have stayed in hotels there twice and find that I can get easily to just about any point in Paris either by bus or Metro. So when I look for a hotel, I look for how close it is to more than one Metro line and more than one bus line because I am going to be first at one end of the city (e.g. Musee Marmottan) and then the other (e.g. Place de la Bastille). So the question looms: Just what is convenient? And I think you have to look at comfort as well. I know I do, or else I don't enjoy my trip if street noise prevents me from sleeping. Maybe a young person can get by for 4 days without sleeping; I cannot.

Nov 1st, 2000, 02:10 PM
Miane

Stick to the city-centre arrondissements in the heart of Paris. Your best bet: 4th (Marais/Iles), 5th West (Quartier Latin), 6th (St Germain). All combine typical Paris charm with easy access to all sights and plenty of food/accomodation facilities.

Nov 1st, 2000, 10:57 PM
Kimerley

Thanks everyone for your comments. Will now start looking for a hotel.
cheers

Nov 2nd, 2000, 10:35 AM
Jen

Great web site for Paris hotels:

http://www.parishotels.com/