Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which area/city/country would you like to retire to??

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2001, 10:37 AM
Judy

T.G.It is Friday!!! <BR> <BR>After a long,hard week, have you ever thought of early-retirement? <BR> <BR>On other travel site, some Europeans talked about retiring to some tropical islands in Pacific Ocean, how about you? All you experienced travelers,where would you like to retire to? and why? <BR> <BR>Let's hear it!

Old May 18th, 2001, 10:45 AM
Art

A hours up on a high cliff overlooking the Atlantic Ocean in southern Maine. <BR>

Old May 18th, 2001, 10:47 AM
Art

I meant a house (don't get excited folks). The reason is that it is so beautiful looking out over the ocean, hearing the waves hit the cliff at night and close to Boston airport to be easily able to jump on a plane to Europe.

Old May 18th, 2001, 10:53 AM
Judy

<BR>Art: For one second, I was really worried!

Old May 18th, 2001, 10:53 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Hello Judy, Well, I have and I did--nine years ago. Now I just plan trips to Europe and walk the beach on my small piece of paradise, Amelia Island FL. I sometimes forget what it was I used to do for IBM. May you be so lucky!

Old May 18th, 2001, 11:02 AM
DC

Let me get this straight. You worked for many years at job you didn't like just to retire to the beach. I don't call that lucky. If you actually *want* to retire from your work, I call it really sad.

Old May 18th, 2001, 11:30 AM
stacey

I'm only 32, can I retire twice? Heidelberg for the next 15 years, then to Key West

Old May 18th, 2001, 11:43 AM
kk

Judy, I gave this very question considerable thought when I was in Europe last month. Even though I don't have a snowball's chance in hell of making it happen, here is what I would do. I would retire to and live in either Germany or England. I'm picture here a sweet little village in either country with good train lines into a nearby large city. From that large city I would travel at least once every few months to other places I enjoy in Europe, such as Italy, Austria, France, and Russia. All that is my idea of sheer bliss. Thanks for asking. You are right. Ater all, it is Friday!~

Old May 18th, 2001, 11:58 AM
Judi

My husband and I retired early but not because we didn't like our jobs, mine as a teacher and his as a systems analyst. We had enough money and realized that life is short and there are no guarantees. We would retire to beautiful Nerja and travel other parts of Europe. However there are three little people in our lives called grandchildren whom we could not leave on the other side of the pond.So we are happy to go to Europe two or three times a year for two or three weeks at a time. If you are still working, save as much money as you can because retirement is wonderful if one has enough money to do as one pleases.

Old May 18th, 2001, 12:10 PM
Judy

<BR>KK,Bob,Art: I like your ideas of retirement, what to do?

Old May 18th, 2001, 12:15 PM
Joe

DC: You attribute attitudes to Bob the Navigator that simply were not stated. All he alluded to was his enjoyment of retirement traveling and at his beach home in Florida. As a retiree who is thoroghly enjoying himself, I also enjoyed very much the 34 years I worked for a large multi-national company. The challenges, the opportunity to compete, the associates and friends I made, the rewards of success can never be truly forgotten. But, I really do enjoy retirement. I think you owe Bob an apology.

Old May 18th, 2001, 12:21 PM
Elsa

My husband also took early retirement from a job he loved. I can't think of ONE particular place we would like to "retire" to, but we sure do enjoy the ability to finally go anyplace at anytime we want.

Old May 18th, 2001, 12:40 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Thanks Joe--you are right on ! I loved my years with IBM and the only reason I forget what I did for them is because my new life is so full. Life is in stages and the fullfillment of those stages is all about making good decisions. May you be so lucky !

Old May 18th, 2001, 01:45 PM
M&J

Ahhh, we have discussed this. Recently I mentioned to our daughter about my sweet wife possibly taking a position with her company in Europe pending an early retirement for me. She called mother the next day "what about the grandchildren, you will never see them?" <BR>So, Judi, we know what you mean. <BR>So, we will retirement near the kids and travel as much as we can. Solo and with the kids. <BR>Life is good.

Old May 18th, 2001, 03:01 PM
Kathy

A nice little cottage in the Irish countryside....making tea, riding my bike & watching the mist rise over the land at sunrise....I really enjoy my job, though and plan to work it for a minimum of a couple of more decades. <BR>Kathy

Old May 18th, 2001, 03:16 PM
anon

Reading some of these posts , makes me glad that every day ,in every way, we chose not to have children. As a good friend told her children, who she chose to have, " we provided a stable home, a good grounding, college educations and orthodontia, the rest is up to you"! <BR>Posting this Anon. as I don't need aggravation!

Old May 18th, 2001, 03:39 PM
sally

WE would love to retire now, but alas we <BR>have a 13 yr old still at home!! We dream of retiring in Italy, anywhere in Italy, but would settle for the mtns of North Carolina or the coast of South Carolina!!

Old May 18th, 2001, 03:54 PM
Kathy

The thread I see in many of these responses is having the money to do what you want...to travel when you want, yet be near those you love...

Old May 18th, 2001, 04:00 PM
Capo

In my <I>dreams</I>, I could see spending fall in New England, winter in Mexico, spring in Provence, and summer here in the Pacific Northwest.

Old May 18th, 2001, 04:20 PM
Dave

I hate to be a pill, but even though I love to travel, I would like to retire and live in LA, where I live now. I love Europe, but I like the diversity of everyday LA. Even in my favorite countries, Italy and Spain, where the food is to die for, after a while I get an urge for a burrito or pad thai.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -