Which airport should we use?

May 14th, 2005, 02:01 AM
Original Poster

Which airport should we use?

We are plannning a trip to Venice, Florence and Rome. Which airport (Rome or Florence?) should we fly in and out of? Between cities we will travel by train (hopefully high speed).

May 14th, 2005, 05:19 AM

Rome will probably be cheaper to fly into and out of -- and Florence, Venice and Rome are not that far apart. Even on a pokey regular train, it's about 2 hours from Rome to Florence, and another 2-2 1/2 to Venice if I recall correctly from our trip in 2003. If you flew to Rome, saw it and headed North, you'd spend about 4 hours getting back to Rome to fly out -- or you could fly open jaw (in to Rome and out through Venice), but depending on where you live, you might end up taking a puddle jumper back to a connecting flight in Rome anyway. Personally, I'd rather see the Italian countryside one more time.

Good luck,

Julie
May 14th, 2005, 05:25 AM
ira

Hi b,

For various reasons that have been discussed on previous threads, I suggest fly into Venice and out of Rome.

From whence are you starting?

May 14th, 2005, 05:33 PM

I think it all depends on the sequence in which you see the three cities. If you are seeing Venice first, definitely fly into there (VCE) and not Florence (FLR) or Rome (FCO). If your first stop will be Florence, then it's a toss-up between flying into FLR or FCO. Obviously, if you're planning to see Rome first, fly into FCO.

Coming home, however, is another matter. Fly out of FCO, unless you're in Venice and are flying Delta, which has a nonstop flight VCE-JFK. Flying out of FLR, and most likely VCE, will require a n early-morning flight and a change of planes at an intervening European airport.

From a pure logistical perspective, I recommend Ira's schedule (Venice to Florence to Rome). If, however, you're flying Delta, allowing a direct flight from VCE to JFK, then the reverse sequence will work just as well. These itineraries eliminate backtracking and minimize the likelihood of needing to catch an early-morning flight. Instead, they follow a good, logical path up or down through Italy and the flights don't leave for the US until 10:00ish.

One other city to investigate flights into and out of is Bologna (BLQ), about one-third of the way between Florence and Venice. Given your itinerary, it probably wouldn't be the best choice, but if the price is good...

Search this Thread