Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Which 3* hotel is best for New Year break (late 20yr olds) (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/which-3-hotel-is-best-for-new-year-break-late-20yr-olds-564487/)

Isabo Oct 14th, 2005 05:24 AM

Which 3* hotel is best for New Year break (late 20yr olds)

Hi there,

My partner has given me my christmas present early - new year's weekend in Paris. It's the first New Year I won't have had to work in 8yrs so it's a real treat, he's been saving all year! I still haven't come down from cloud nine!

He has left the booking of the hotel to me. Since we need to be quick in booking a hotel {before flight prices rocket for the new year etc} I have been scouring this forum for helpful tips. I've found lots of information but was wondering if anyone knows where best to stay in central Paris at New Year.

We are looking for a 3* hotel [bed & breakfast] somewhere central (not 4* simply because it is beyond budget). I have been looking at the best places to stay at a hotel and have so far been swayed by the the sixth and seventh quarter.

However, as a compete novice I would greatly appreciate any help or advice on where would be best to stay at this time of year and what restaurants/bars etc would be good to visit on New Year's Eve. Is there a particular place that people congregate to bring in the New Year? Will we need to book tickets for such places in advance? I greatly appreciate any help

many thanks
Isabo x

francophile03 Oct 14th, 2005 05:53 AM

You should repost and include "Paris" in your heading as this is the Europe forum; there is no Paris forum specifically.

Also search for "Paris and hotels" and "Paris and New Year's Eve" to see what others have suggested in the past.

For our New Year's Eve we stayed on the Ile St. Louis (4th district) at Hotel de Lutece, a simple but charming 3* hotel. This location is very convenient to other districts by walking.

For restaurants I recommend Le Tastevin which is on the island also. Another good one is Le Coupe Chou (5th district) and Le Bistrot de Paris (7th).

cambe Oct 14th, 2005 05:56 AM

Hi Isabo,

My Mum sister and I stayed at the 3* Hotel De La Bourdonnais in the 7th last month and it is a lovely hotel. I would highly recommend it. It was 145 E for a triple room per night and that included breakfast.

It is not in a vibrant area of Paris but the Metro stop Ecole Militaire is 2 mins away and the Eiffel Tower at the other end of the Avenue (about 10 mins walk).

I have never been to Paris at New Year but when it is shown on British TV there always seems to be a lot of activity around the Eiffel Tower at midnight.

Hope this helps

Donaldus Oct 14th, 2005 06:17 AM

I would suggest you to stay in the wonderful 3 star hotel called Left Bank Saint Germain, in the 6th, it is just near Odeon metro stop, a wonderful place to stay for first-timers...It is the Latin Quarter. For New Year'Eve, generally, the most animated place is Champs Elysees, but it is really crowded...and personally, I'don't really appreciate it...but if it is a place with a lot of people celebrating New Year in the street that you are searching for...don't hesistate, go on Champs Elysees at midnight. But don't choose an hotel in this area, you will not sleep for the whole night and for first-timers Latin Quarter is really better and nicer...
Concerning restaurants, my favourite is near Montparnasse, and is name is La Coupole but I guess you really have to book your table in advance, I'm even not sure that some remains free at this period of the year, because it is a very famous restaurant...but you can try. The address is 102 boulevard du Montparnasse 75014 Paris -phone number:+331 43 20 14 20

Concerning accomodation, have a look at the Hotel Left Bank St Germain: http://www.leftbankstgermain.com, it is a typical French decoration, I loved it!!!

Have a very very nice trip!

francophile03 Oct 14th, 2005 07:09 AM

I heard of the Hotel Left Bank St. Germain. It's in a good location too. But there were two posts at Trip Advisor in the forum about guests being charged in advance of their arrival which was due to either error or something else. Just fyi.

CatFancier Oct 14th, 2005 07:48 AM

My husband and I love the HENRI IV RIVE GAUCHE on Rue St. Jacques in the Latin Quarter. It's just one block south of the Seine and Notre Dame, absolutely unbeatable location. Hotel itself is a 3*, new, clean, lovely decor and great staff. Plenty of transportation nearby, plus places to eat. Lovely view of St. Severin church directly across the street. A twin-bedded room in September was 162 euros.

www.hotel-henri4.com

Underhill Oct 14th, 2005 01:37 PM

Ýou'll need to book a table for dinner on New Year's Eve ASAP--many restaurants' regular clients will have done so already. Quite a few places will be having a special dinner, a reveillon, with holiday menus and Champagne--usually for a hefty price. If you want just a neighborhood place, ask your hotel for a recommendation and have them make the booking for you.

Isabo Oct 14th, 2005 11:37 PM

Francophlie03

I will do so, thank you for you help. I have dug out the New Year in Paris threads and have found some really, really great tips and advice.

So far I have heard lots of good things about Le Coupe Chou & Le Bistro de Paris.

I've been advised by lots of fodorites to try booking a restaurant for new years eve now because they will probably all be booked up already.

*Crossing my fingers* thanks for all your help

Isabo x

Isabo Oct 14th, 2005 11:39 PM

Cambe,

Thank you for your recommendation, I am going to check that hotel out :-)

I think I'm torn between not wanting to be somewhere vibrant and hectic and not wanting to be completely out of it, if you kwim? *smile*

Thanks for your advice, I'll go look up that hotel

Isabo x

Isabo Oct 14th, 2005 11:44 PM

Donaldus

Thank you so much for some really great info. We were trying to work out where the action would be on NYE but were getting confused. I think we are going to stay in the sixth, at least try and be close to the Latin Quarter as you suggest. We will probably try and book a meal (as I've found so far, that's going to be particularly difficult) ... then have a walk about and go with the flow :)

Knowing there will be liveliness on Champs Elysees is good ... I guess we will decide on the night which way we will head.

Thanks very much for all your helpful info, much appreciated

Isabo x

Isabo Oct 14th, 2005 11:46 PM

CatFancier

Thank you for your recommendation, wow, I checked out the website for that hotel, it really looks nice. I'm going to have to run all these ideas and suggestions by my partner but I know he'll be struck by the Henri IV Rive Gauche, it looks like his taste :)

thanks again,
Isabo x

Isabo Oct 15th, 2005 03:10 AM

Underhill

Thanks for the tip, much appreciated :)

Isabo x

LSUvetgirl Oct 22nd, 2005 01:49 PM

Hey Isabo, my husband and I will be in Paris for New Years as well. We are both 29, American living in Belgium. I would love to get any information you may have gotten about places to go eat on New Years. We currently have a hotel reservation at the Hotel de Nice near Notre Dame in the 4th but after looking at the Henri IV I'm having second thoughts!! :) We will be in Paris from the 29th (our anniversary) until the 1st.

Carrie

rex Oct 22nd, 2005 02:27 PM

Carrie, the entire span of engagement on this forum by "Isabo" lasted about 24 hours - - a week ago - - and despite an indication that the advice tyo re-post would be followed, there has never been a second post.

I wish Fodors would set up some kind of restricted "e-mail the original poster" (without requiring anyone to divulge their e-mail address who didn't want to) - - so thatsomeone like yourself... or anyone could send them a "come on back" message - - "we're interested in talking further about the question(s) you posted on Fodors!"

They say that they are soliciting ideas for new features they could implement here - - I don't know if others agree that this would contribute to greater numbers of participants here on the forum, or not.

Best wishes,

Rex