Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   where would you stay- amalfi or positano? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/where-would-you-stay-amalfi-or-positano-277811/)

krk Dec 5th, 2002 12:18 PM

where would you stay- amalfi or positano?

Looking for somewhere to stay for a few days on our honeymoon. Which town is better- amalfi or positano? I know I have read about Villa Rosa on here and it looks wonderful, but I have read in guides that Amalfi is a better town to be in. <BR><BR>thanks

David Dec 5th, 2002 12:27 PM

I would say Positano.<BR><BR>Positano is a wonderfully small romantic town, in a dramatic setting. There are just enough nice hotels, shops, and restaurants to occupy your attention for a few days.<BR><BR>Amalfi is larger and more bustling, and therefore I think it's less romantic. Also the views of the coast are less accessible than they are in Positano. There are a few sites to see in Amalfi, so it's worth visiting. Ravello is also worth a visit. (A one-day trip to Amalfi and Ravello covers both pretty well)

Tim Dec 5th, 2002 03:54 PM

Ravello gets the nod.<BR><BR>Stay at the Parsifal. Views and food as good as anywhere, for half the price (and twice the romance?) of the famous Sasso...

maria Dec 5th, 2002 03:58 PM

Another vote for the Parsifal. We stayed there a couple of years ago, and it was much better than expected.<BR><BR>The view is the best. Overlooking the whole coastline right out our window.<BR><BR>The owner, Antonio, is very nice and accomodating. The staff is very friendly. The food was good. Ravello is very quiet and peaceful.<BR><BR>It is not a luxurious hotel, but it is very, very nice.

Nancy Dec 6th, 2002 02:13 AM

The debate about the relative merits of Positano vs. Ravello vs. Amalfi is an ongoing one on this site. (You will see why when you get there, as 90% of the tourists are from the US, so everyone has an opinion). Here is mine:<BR><BR>I would stay in Amalfi and do day trips to Positano and Ravello. Ravello is very beautiful, but it is up on top of a mountain and thus has no beach. Swimming in the Med is a great experience. Also, you will end up going down into Amalfi or Positano to see those towns and generally go along the coast, get the ferry to Capri, etc. The ride by taxi from Ravello in Amalfi takes about 20 minutes, by bus a bit longer. To do that daily gets old after a while, especially if you have dinner in Positano or Amalfi and have to get a taxi back up the hill at night.<BR><BR>Positano is the most picturesque town in terms of setting. However, it is spread over a hill, and there is a lot of up and down. Most importantly, I think it gets much more crowded than Amalfi and it would not be as relaxing if you are staying in a hotel in Positano. It is great for shopping, lunch, dinner and strolling. I just think at night you would want to be in a more secluded place, and if you want to have a day or so just lounging at your hotel pool or beach, then you might be better off elsewhere. The beaches there are much more accessible by the public, and you are really swimming in the harbour with lots of boat traffic. (The beaches are also rocky, not sandy, but that is true of most all Med beaches.) I anticipate howls of protest and contradiction on this from fans of Positano…<BR><BR>My personal recommendation would be to stay at the Santa Caterina Hotel in Amalfi. This is outside the main town so it is quiet, and it is in a spectacular setting on a cliff over the sea. They have great site with pool right next to the Med and you can dive into the sea from the pool area. Incredible staff and breathtaking views. You can walk to Amalfi (downhill) in about 10-15 minutes and the hotel has a shuttle that runs hourly. You can take a ferry from Amalfi to Positano and Capri. Check their website. The hotel is very popular on this site, and is reviewed in the rants and raves section. I don’t know if this hotel is in the budget you are planning.. There is lots of advice on this site for other hotel choices, some in the small town of Priano are popular, less expensive and would have the small town advantages.<BR><BR>I hope this is helpful. Congratulations!<BR>

krk Dec 6th, 2002 06:07 AM

Thanks for the replies. Keep em coming.

krk Dec 6th, 2002 06:15 AM

So I go to the Santa Caterina website and fall in love with the place...then see the prices. Even though it's our honeymoon we are atill on a bit of a budget. We are looking in the $150/night range. Anyone have some suggestions in that range? We are active, so we don't mind the stairs and walking. Also- want things to do beside sitting on a beach even if it is just walking through towns....<BR><BR>thanks

Tim Dec 6th, 2002 11:20 AM

krk,<BR><BR>The Parsifal should run about $160/night INCLUDING half board (breakfast + lunch or dinner). Their kitchen is expert (they periodically offer a cooking-class package -- maybe a little too &quot;leading&quot; for a honeymooon). <BR><BR>If hills don't bother you, it's an interesting hike from Ravello down to Amalfi/Minori. <BR><BR>The SITA buses run hourly up and down to Amalfi, and are preferable to driving the twisting one-lane mountain road. They also ply the coastal road hourly up to Sorrento and down to Salerno (the nearest train connection).<BR><BR>Since it is above the coastal road, Ravello does not get near the traffic of the other towns. There are semi-nightly concerts at the Villa Rufolo (a nice way to tour that legendary estate).<BR><BR>Though the waterfront can be charming, I don't think beachcombing is the main attraction of the Amalfi Coast.

Patrick Dec 6th, 2002 12:44 PM

I found Amalfi to be more crowded than Positano, which would be my first choice. Ravello is undoubtedly the most beautiful of the three and if you just want to sit and relax at a beautiful hotel, it couldn't get any better than there. But if you want to DO things, I'd pass on Ravello.

Wendy Dec 9th, 2002 03:42 PM

KRK,<BR><BR>Positano is quite crowded in the summer, but it still gets my vote. In fact, I think that's part of the fun- there's excellent people watching, and amazing scenery which we didn't find as much of in Amalfi. The SITA busses make it easy to cover the coast in either direction, so I think you're safe in terms of basing yourself in Positano. For me, it definitely holds a lot more magical memories than Amalfi. Have a great time.