Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where would you go, if you had three days in France?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, let me explain. I'm going to France for a wedding and will have most of my time scheduled out for me. This is my second time in France, but I haven't been back for five years.

We can't decide, if we should revisit a favorite spot (Chamonix) or try something new (Burgundy or maybe someplace in Switzerland?). We're in our late twenties live in New York City love to hike, horseback ride... Thanks in advance!

Our schedule looks like this:

Four days in Paris (staying with the bride/groom)

Three days in Besancon for the wedding (this is where the groom's family is from)

Three days mini vacation???

Another night in Paris

HOME
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 12:16 PM

With three days, you'd have enough time to see some of the highlights of northern Burgundy: Dijon, Autun, Beaune, and the wild Morvan park--great for hiking.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 12:34 PM
ira

Good advice from underhill,

You will be only an hour's drive from Dijon.

Old Jul 26th, 2005, 12:37 PM

Hi Eliza, I thought you wanted to go to Italy to have a taste of it, but you're right to stay in France ;-) and Dijon is only an hour drive from Besançon.
If you want more details about horses and a place to stay : [email protected]
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 12:38 PM

Imho, go back to Paris! We've been there 3 times and never tire of it. If you didn't go to Versailles the first time, that's a good side trip from Paris. Is there horseback riding in Bois de Bologne? Anyone know?
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Cocofromdijon, wow, can't believe you remembered that I had wanted to go to Italy (LOL!). I did, but after our Iceland trip, the budget can't handle too much more galvanting around! Also, my good friend (the bride) is letting me borrow one of their cars for my visit, but she doesn't really want me to take it to Italy...

I'd love to hear any suggestions you have about horses or places to stay. Thanks!

donco, I though about returning to Paris, but I'll already have spent 4 days there (which, I know, is not enough!) But I would like to explore a new part of France and Burgundy sounds wonderful. I'll look into the Morvan park.

Thanks to all!
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Whoops! I don't think I mentioned when I was traveling. The wedding is on October 1, so we'll leave for our mini-vacation on October 2 or October 3!
Thanks again!
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 12:57 PM

Consider going to Alsace. The Wine Spectator called area the most beautiful wine growing region in the world. Very picturesque villages, and it's an excellent area to rent bikes and trek through all the flower decked villages. Don't bike the touristy & auto congested Route de Vin - take the well marked path a little west of there that still goes through the same villages, but on smaller roads. Whoever you rent bikes from will know about this.

There are more Michelin starred restaurants in Alsace than any place other than Paris.

If you are flying home from Paris, stay the last night in Dijon, and take the early TGV train directly to the airport, that gets you there around 8:30.

Stu Dudley
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 02:19 PM

Visiting some of the neat castles might make nice trip. We took a 1-day bus trip to Chenonceau, Cheverny and Chambord and I remember thinking what a lovely leisurely drive Chenonceau to Cheverny would make. Sweet little towns along the way. Cheverny still occupied by original family-very interesting tour.