Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where would be soon good places in Co. Sligo in Sept.

Old May 28th, 2004, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning on being in the town of Westport in Sept. and would like to go to Sligo and Knock for sightseeing excursions. Would appreciate soon ideas.
Old May 28th, 2004, 07:52 AM

I would go to Galway over Sligo. There is more to see. Knock to be honest is really not much but an airport. My partners parents used to go each year for a sort of Pilgrimage and he hated it...No pubs...just a hatch selling drinks in the hotel and as he put it no dancing nuns...boring. He was in his 70's. Unless you want to see this for religious reasons it won't be more than a day.

There is loads to do around westport like Croagh Patrick and climb it if you feel fit enough. There is the rossmoney spa and seaweed baths, Lenane is a nice drive. What are your interests?
Old May 28th, 2004, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

We want mainly to "soak up" the country side and people of Ireland. We have ancestors in Binghamstown and Sligo. We want to see the beauty of Ireland we have heard about, the real thing and real people.
Old May 28th, 2004, 08:08 AM

Sligo is beautiful - there are some gorgeous beaches. Hazelwood forest is lovely for walks too. You could also visit Carrowmore Megalithic Tombs which are amongst the oldest and most important in Europe. There's also Sligo Abbey. In the north of the county you can visit Lissadell House.

As Siobhan said, there's not a lot to see in Knock, and I wouldn't find any reason to visit unless it was for religious reasons.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 04:15 PM

We went to Carrowkeel a few weeks ago. Wonderful prehistoric tombs out in the middle of nowhere with beautiful views and no people. You can hike all over the hills and enter the tombs on your own.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 01:56 AM

Lissadel House has been purchased privately and is no longer open to the public. I agree that the beaches in Sligo are lovely, as is the beach at Rosses Point nearby.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 01:59 AM

I thought Lissadel was re-opening to the public this week (that was what the article in the Irish Times Magazine on Saturday said as far as I can remember)??
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:01 AM

I can confirm that Lissadell House is open every day except Monday from June 1st 2004 to September 12th.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 06:09 AM

It's not Sligo, but it's close enough: As a matter of fact, I met some Sligo people who had driven down to Ballina (County Mayo's most populous city) for weekend entertainment.

Sept.'02 I met a group of Americans staying at Crocket's on the Quay (River Moy) in Ballina who had just come down from Enniscrone where they had played golf. I was staying at BrigOwn B&B close-by which I recommend highly. Marjorie, the Owner / Manager has a cooking show on local radio.

Golf (and visiting relatives) is usually my main motivation for visiting that area. My favorite course is Carne Golf links just outside Belmullet. There's the Ceide Fields: a Prehistoric site north and east of Belmullet and there's an Island off the west coast (InisGlora??) where St. Brendan the Navigator (who really discovered America) built a Monastery.

If you follow the River Moy from Ballina down past Foxford you'll arrive at Knock Shrine: an easy daytrip from Ballina (not so easy from Westport).
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 08:59 AM

Just NE of Sligo is Glencar waterfall. It is sign posted off the N15 north of Sligo and is about 10 miles back. It's really quite beautiful and there are rarely people there. I second the vote for Carrowkeel.

Bill
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks EVERYONE for the ideas. I'm writing them all down as we are making out our itinerary. Having fun just with this part of the trip.
I'm sure we'll have a great report when we get back.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 08:08 AM

Stella:

Here is the link to the page where we stopped at Glencar. There are a few more photos of the falls on the more photos link. Click on the picture to enlarge it.

http://www.geocities.com/obeirne_ire...-_westport.htm

Bill
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 06:13 AM

Stella,

From pre-historic sites to the writings of the great WB Yeats, County Sligo is chock-full of sightseeing possibilities. Indeed, unlike Co. Galway, Sligo is one of Ireland's most underrated, underexplored regions.

Sligo town is a good place to base yourself. It's a compact, down-to-earth kind of place. Take time to wander around the 13th century Sligo Abbey, have lunch at the wonderfully atmospheric Hargadon's Pub, and then head over to the modest County Museum which features some terrific old pictures of Sligo town, along with objects relating to Yeats, including his Nobel medal.

Just outside Sligo town is Drumcliff, the final resting place of Yeats. Consider his epitaph, "Cast a cold eye/ On life, on death/ Horsemen, pass by". The gravesite is in a churchyard that is in the shadow of the great Benbulben, a flat-topped peak that is one of the most memorable sights in all of Ireland.
Drumcliff also features a fine 10th century high cross and the remains of a round tower.

Another sightseeing possibility is an excursion to the uninhabited Inishmurray, an island located about four miles off the Sligo coast. Folks haven't lived here for more than 50 years, but Inishmurray features the remains of a 6th century monastic site. You can reach the island from Mullaghmore.

As noted, Co. Sligo offers many pre-historic sites, two of which include Creevykeel Court Cairn, circa 2500 BC, and Carrowmore Megalithic Cemtery. The latter of these is older than Newgrange and contains the oldest tomb in Western Europe - more than 7,000 years!

Finally, as an alternative to Sligo's more ancient qualities, take a cruise along the very peaceful Lough Gill, taking time to contemplate Yeats' Isle of Inisfree and a stop at Parke's Castle, located just over the Co. Leitrim border.

Best of luck.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Hi David,

Thanks alot! I'm adding these sites to our list. I like the historic value and the poet Yeats appeal. Also, Inishmurray sounds great.
I'll let you know when we get back.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 12:41 PM

Stella,
When you are in Westport have dinner at the Lemon Peel...terrific!!
I'd also head to Achill Island & do the "The Atlantic Drive" AND if it's agreat day go to the western end of Achill Island to the Keem Strand....aqua water & white sand!!
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 12:52 PM

Mullaghmore is where the IRA assassinated Lord Mountbatten and family on his boat.

The area is just so beautiful, and so peaceful, you can't imagine the horror that must have been.

I agree Sligo is a great place to visit. Keats country, some magical places.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 01:18 AM

Westport is a fun town and lots of places to eat and drink. Clare Island is a nice visit. The Pirate Queen Grace O'Malley lived here. Its a true fascinating story. You take a feery to the island and can bike round. There is a small hotel for a drink or lunch. The remains of the old fort/castle/house that Grace lived in is here.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 08:24 PM

Message: Stella If you need a wonderful place to stay, may I suggest my most favorite B&B from our whole trip. It was just north of Sligo in the village of Drumcliffe. Mountain View...all rooms are lovely En Suite with T.V. & hair dryer... Martina Murphy was so helpful in giving us our choice of rooms which would be best suited for my husband to do his ham radio operation from. She had the most wonderful breakfasts. The beautiful sun room next to the living room is always open for you to sit and enjoy and make a cup of tea while watching the clouds come over Benbulben Moutain. We saw two of the most beautiful full rainbows ever while there. The day we were leaving, one of their cows had a calf and we were invited to see it when it was only 30 minutes old. They were so kind to us I hated to leave!!!!! We enjoyed it so much we stayed an extra day and relaxed. It is near Yeats's Grave, Lissadel House, Glencar Waterfall, golfing, Pubs etc. Tel/Fax:071-9163290 Great place to stay!!!! It is close enough to do a day trip to Northern Ireland, Enniskillen and go up the west coast of Lough Erne to the village of Belleek. (Don't miss the Belleek Pottery Tour and visitor center)
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 08:28 PM

Stella....I found the email address for Mountain View if you are interested.
[email protected]
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Hi,

Thanks BobbiJo, the Mountain View sounds so perfect...the sun room, sipping tea, looking toward Benbulben Mountains. In all our planning for our trip we don't want to forget to leave time for relaxing.
You all make Sligo sound like a great area. I put our possible itinerary on the thread "Ireland Suggestions" because it covers the whole of Ireland. I would appreciate it if you guys would check me out there, and let me know what you think. Thanks again.

Thanks again,