Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where will we have nice/decent weather in Oct for a cycling trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2015, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking into a possible easy/moderate cycling trip for sometime in Oct. or maybe even early Nov. We've done lots of European travel before and have also done European cycling trips. However, this is a time frame we've not really traveled much before. I do remember absolutely freezing around the 1st of Oct. in the Krakow area so am guessing that more southerly destinations would be what we should be looking for. However, maybe there are areas I don't know about that could be lovely in the fall.

Where would you suggest for a trip that we'd have a possibility of clement weather at that time of year? We're looking for 55 to 75F (13 to 24C) without much possibility of rain. Thanks much.
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 02:31 PM

Southern France would be my choice - nice weather and great cycling on paved side roads. Avignon to Nice would be nice.
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 02:35 PM

holiday-weather.com may help.
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 02:44 PM

http://www.pmslweb.com/the-blog/wp-c...ecast-meme.jpg
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses.

PalenQ--are you the person who used to lead cycling tours?

jan--I was unaware of this website. It is very helpful.

yes, ribxxxxx, I know there are no guarantees as far as the weather is concerned but figured we could at least target some places where we might have a better chance for warmer and drier weather.
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 03:53 PM

For those temps you will need to stay south of the Alps - but you have a chance of rain almost anywhere in Oct or Nov.
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 11:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd look at the Algarve, the canal du Midi, you might get away with the Po valley but I'd prefer the Puglia area. Details at http://www.mybikeguide.co.uk/
Old Aug 13th, 2015, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Puglia has always intrigued me, but I am almost wondering if it is an area that I should "save" for a trip in early spring when other areas might not be nice for biking.
Old Aug 13th, 2015, 05:02 AM

The trouble with Puglia as a tourist is the place has a very limited high season and the shoulders are short if you want access to lots of facilities, I've been the only guest in a hotel in May, while there are always people about in October. But yes spring is good there too, without the exhausted look you get with no rain through the summer.
Old Aug 13th, 2015, 08:06 AM

Sicily !
Hard to beat.
Old Aug 13th, 2015, 09:10 AM

Nowhere in Europe is guaranteed to have good consistent weather in late October. We have made over 100 trips to Europe, a around 30 in October sue to it being our least busy business month.

Clearly, further south is best.

I would question the safety of cycling in Sicily, the driving in general is the least safe I have experienced in Europe.

Personally, I would opt for Provence.

The best weather will probably be in Andalucia but I have cycled there and the landscapes can be a little stark.
Old Aug 13th, 2015, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

I appreciate the comments.

Having visited Andalucía in the past, it really isn't what we are looking for in the ambience for a cycling area, and it is reinforcing to hear someone else agree.

I never thought about the idea that sites/restaurants etc. might be closed in Puglia because it is out of season. That is something I will have to consider.

Once again, thanks all.
Old Aug 13th, 2015, 11:07 PM

We rode the Algarve Ecovia in Novemeber, very pleasant, no rain and more to the point no tour buses, every hotel we needed open, just the days were a bit short.
Old Aug 13th, 2015, 11:12 PM

Another thought is Fuerteventyra in the Canaries, we rode that in November at least 10 years ago (I watched Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone in spanish if you want the exact year and it was nice enough, very safe on the roads, though my rear ratchet mechanism unscrewed itself and I had to tow a dead bike with Mrs B on it for 15km (I was younger then)
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 11:37 AM

How about Mallorca?

The weather will not be as good as Southern Spain but there is a huge cycling industry on the island. Most of the Pro teams winter train on the island and it has become a very popular destination. The islanders are cycling mad and I have always had much respect shown by motorists, much more than in Britain.

There are also many, many beautiful boutique type Finca hotels spread over the island. The North of the island gives really testing hill climbs the central and southern areas are rural farming with small quiet roads. Great for cycling.

http://www.theothermallorca.com/

Gives you a taste of the hotels.
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 12:15 PM

Nothing IME of biking thru several countries matches the biking in France - even better than Holland IME because the land is gorgeous and those dreamy old villages all punctuated by soaring steeles on the highest hill - and you have excellent side roads with little traffic not congested at times bike paths.

Yes Provence around Arles/Avignon should have decent weather then - I would avoid Nice because it's a lot of hills off the coast though weather may be better.
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

You are all so helpful. Thanks.

I guess the other thing I forgot to mention is that we need to go a place we can find an outfitter who can set us up with a trip (self-guided is fine) plan and good cycles. We are in the US and are not hauling our gear with us across the ocean.
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 01:28 PM

Crete or Cyprus might fit the bill
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 11:10 PM

That's the problem in Sicily, Julies.

We found it impossible to find a decent hire company.

Both Provence and Mallorca have good numbers of hire companies offering full equipment packages. France has many organised tours which tramsfer luggage overnight but from the experience of friends they can be frustrating due to the mixed abilities of the clients.

I have just remembered

http://www.monnaber.com/luxury-bouti...FeHMtAod1HQM3g

Which has it's own cycle set up offering both mountain and high level road bikes. It is located right in the middle of cycling countryside.
Old Aug 15th, 2015, 01:05 AM

http://www.hellasbike.net/

http://bikincyprusadventures.com/en/our-bikes

heaps more where they came from

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -